Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2015, 18:52   #1

Boat: C&c 30 mk1
Boat angel/Ebay legit or not?

Was looking at a 34 ft boat for sale on eBay for cheap, for sale by a private owner with long story of why he is selling.
I found the same boat ,same serial number on this boat angel ebay site listed at a third of the price.
I'm staying away from this deal, not sure which ad is the scam
Sirzones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 21:05   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Boat angel/Ebay legit or not?

Don't know the mechanics of listing a boat on Boat Angel but it's almost always way cheaper than when the boat was listed by owner or with a broker. Boat Angel is for real, bought a 30' sailboat from them. Made a really stupidly low offer hoping someone would overbid me. Unfortunately, no one did and I ended up owning another boat. That caused real problems with the wife so resold for marital harmony. The boat sold for what I had into it almost immediately after listing it on Ebay. There are some additional costs from Boat Angel but not big except in comparison to the selling price. Looked at a boat listed by a Broker at $9,000. It showed up on Boat Angel/Ebay and sold for less than half the broker asking price with rights to a live aboard slip.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 09:11   #3

I was also wondering about those sites..seems that boats sell through Boat Angel pretty cheap. My issue would be with buying a boat without seeing it first or getting a survey. Looks like it is an "as-is" sale and you never know if you are getting a steal, or a floating POS. Seems like Boat Angel could get more money for their boats if there was some way of letting the bidders know that the boat is seaworthy, etc. Otherwise they will never get close to the amount offered for a boat that at least had a fairly recent survey. If a recent survey were offered people would tend to bid more toward the real value..otherwise people bid low and pray they can get money back if it is not up to par...I wouldn't want to end up with a wet paperweight unless I got it for pennies..
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 09:13   #4

I've seen them on there a lot. Beware they have a fee for selling it in the fine print. But have been doing so for quite a while now.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 09:51   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Boat Angel has been discussed online before. They sort of seem to be a legit charity, except, they also seem to be a clearinghouse or "boat washing" business where they ake little responsibility and have lots of fine details in their terms. Last time I looked, the boats were "donated" to them, and then they sold the boats, which would make it odd that a donor could or would still be attempting a private sale as well. Unless they had another complex "out clause" allowing the donation to be conditional and revoked.
Dunno, just seemed like another layer of complications one might not want to get involved with.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 15:37   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Don't believe Boat Angel really cares about getting the best price for the boats they list. They are just a clearing house operation and any money they get is probably pure profit. If you want a deal on a boat, would look seriously at Boat Angel listing.

Wouldn't worry about a survey, actually one would be a waste of time. Bid what the salvage value of the boat is and either part it out if too bad a condition or enjoy your deal if it turns out good. The boat I bought was a Ron Holland designed IOR 30' boat. Boat had been extensively raced and came with a host of sails including a brand new genoa that cost 4 times what I paid for the boat. Had 4 other headsails ranging from Junk to very good condition, most in the latter condition, two spinnakers and the spinnaker gear. Atomic four was supposed to run according to the listing and did run fine after a tune up. Faults in the boat were trashed water and fuel tank and some sponginess in small areas in the deck because of the PO's love of silllycon sealant. Would have been able to 'fix' the decks with strategic infusions of thickened epoxy. Had to put on a new sail cover and replace the plexiglass in two ports because of crazing. After all was said and done, had a couple boat units in the boat including slip fees while I owned it. Put it on Craig's List on a weekend and had it sold by the following weekend for 2 grand.

The other boat that I should have bought through Boat Angel was a Tartan 27. Looked at the boat when a broker had it for $9,000. Boat had been someones live aboard for a number of years so interior needed paint and varnish and removal of some live aboard comforts like an old tube tv and small fridge. Boat had roller furling with decent genoa and main. Diesel engine seemed to run fine. Boat was in Oceanside Marina in a live aboard slip and transfer of slip was part of the deal. Oceanside has a long waiting list for live aboard slips though a non live aboard wait for a slip in this size range wasn't too bad.

Boat was owned by an older gentleman who had gotten too infirm to sail the boat. He'd put it up for sale after backing into another boat causing minor scratches the last time he'd tried to go sailing and didn't trust himself to take the boat out any more. After a year or so listed with a broker, he finally decided to just dump the boat and get out from under the $350 slip fees and gave it to Boat Angel. IIRC the winning bid was $3,000.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:33   #7

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Looked into more than a couple "Boat Angel" listings and found them extremely uncooperative.

They outright state that potential buyers can rarely (if ever) get to see the boat, and rarely can the folks who answer the phone even answer a simple question.

They do give you a lot of pics, but say more than once that any claims about the boat's equipment or condition are what the donor told them and not verified.

They do charge an extra $300 on the transaction.

If you are good fixing up boats and willing to risk a relatively small amount on a boat that >could< be worth a lot with so excited TLC, then it may be a good deal.

Remember though, that these boats are donated. That means the owners are likely tired of paying to store them and tired of pouring money into them. I suppose Daddy Warbucks may have just gotten bored with his creampuff yacht, but more likely, some guy in over his head just wants out of a money pit.

Finally, as an avid eBayer, take a look at Boat Angel's feedback. Very mixed. Yes. So excited folks got great deals. Others mention that boats were misrepresented, seller was snarky, and if the buyer backs out even for good reason, the seller will file a non-pair bidder report on you.
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:27   #8

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantV View Post
Looked into more than a couple "Boat Angel" listings and found them extremely uncooperative.

They outright state that potential buyers can rarely (if ever) get to see the boat, and rarely can the folks who answer the phone even answer a simple question.

They do give you a lot of pics, but say more than once that any claims about the boat's equipment or condition are what the donor told them and not verified.

They do charge an extra $300 on the transaction.

If you are good fixing up boats and willing to risk a relatively small amount on a boat that >could< be worth a lot with so excited TLC, then it may be a good deal.

Remember though, that these boats are donated. That means the owners are likely tired of paying to store them and tired of pouring money into them. I suppose Daddy Warbucks may have just gotten bored with his creampuff yacht, but more likely, some guy in over his head just wants out of a money pit.

Finally, as an avid eBayer, take a look at Boat Angel's feedback. Very mixed. Yes. So excited folks got great deals. Others mention that boats were misrepresented, seller was snarky, and if the buyer backs out even for good reason, the seller will file a non-pair bidder report on you.
boatangelministries (12015 )
99.8% Positive feedback

Something, something about the internet. So much treasure, so much .............
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:31   #9

Buying used stuff on internet auctions is risky. Buying used boats that are donated to charity is likely even more so. With great risk comes great rewards and/or great losses. It is risky, risky, risky.

I am amazed that a seller of used boats can achieve a 99.8% feedback rating.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:40   #10

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
boatangelministries (12015 )
99.8% Positive feedback

Something, something about the internet. So much treasure, so much .............
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...ms=neutral_180

As I said, as someone who buys and sells on eBay a lot, one has to look at the details.

Most people don't want to post negative or even neutral reviews - especially for a charity. In fact, eBay changed its feedback policy because sellers were actually posting negative comments and feedback as "payback".

Read a few of the comments. Decide if YOU want to be the guy who gets a boat with misrepresented condition or unlisted problems.

BTW "good" feedback is 100% positive. I've been on eBay for more years than most people have known about its existence and have 100% positive feedback.
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:54   #11

Buy it if you think it works for you. Assume it's far from ready to use. Go look at it immediately. If it's not what you thought, walk away. Claim "not as described". People do it all the time on other things.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:26   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

buyer beware means something. last boat angel sold boat i knew of personally was sold without portholes installed and many items missing, a sthose are sold separately. oops boat sunk., came with a lovely wooden boat item-- planks were springing.
shop around.
look at boat in person. have fun shopping.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:08   #13

The charities can't really inspect these boats. They send a form for the donator to fill out. A lot of donators don't know much at all about the mechanics of the boat. "Bid for the worst and hope for the best?"

I am amazed by folks that expect a perfectly functional boat for ~10-40% of the normal selling price. These are almost all project boats. Unless you are mechanically handy, you should probably avoid project boats.

I bought a project boat because I want to know how to do repairs when I am a liveaboard circumnavigating the globe. Or something like that.

If folks want to buy a new Rolex for their boat broker....go for it. A private sell where you can inspect is the most logical for people who know what they are looking at.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:28   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Think about it, what kind of boat would you give away to charity?
Well, that's the kind of boat your bidding on, most liikely.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 19:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantV View Post
eBay Feedback Profile for boatangelministries

As I said, as someone who buys and sells on eBay a lot, one has to look at the details.

Most people don't want to post negative or even neutral reviews - especially for a charity. In fact, eBay changed its feedback policy because sellers were actually posting negative comments and feedback as "payback".

Read a few of the comments. Decide if YOU want to be the guy who gets a boat with misrepresented condition or unlisted problems.

BTW "good" feedback is 100% positive. I've been on eBay for more years than most people have known about its existence and have 100% positive feedback.
AKA: I have a 4.0 GPA. Those people that still have a life and have consequently allowed their GPA to slip to 3.8 are total hosers.