Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 30-06-2019, 03:04   #2026

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Just curious about the drive failure - Did the drive develop a "hard spot" where it would work fine until it turned the rudder to that spots position, and then it would fail? I have two friends that had failed Jefa DD with this problem... one on a Rival 38 the other a Lagoon 38 and neither got support from Jefa.
it is interesting to hear we are not the only ones who have had warranty or customer support issues with Jefa.

Our unit’s failure was simply due to the trapped wire I (see the post I put in after yours).

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
I do love your pilothouse layout. It's not trying to be a palatial saloon like most PH boats... it is just a comfy place to view all that is going on around the boat. It looks Dijkstra got the seating height right too. I messed this up on ours thinking I needed more head room for taller guest (never happens). Now I can only see the horizon if in the nav seat or if I actually sit bolt upright... I just need two more inches

Matt
Just add another two inches to the seat cushions

Yes, the height is a compromise. Ours is perfect for us sitting normally and I can still see the horizon when I lounge back a bit. A very tall person sitting bolt upright would just brush their head. We sat on a few Bestevaers and measured the gaps between the seat and the ceiling before deciding on what would work best for us.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 11:55   #2027

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

How about more of the pilothouse?
I guess that means the starboard side :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2CD2C756-5606-4652-9A1B-CC655050CA57.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	386.9 KB
ID:	195027  

Old 30-06-2019, 22:08   #2028

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One more thing I have just thought to add about the pilothouse arrangement:
We don’t have room for a table, but the bench from the dining table sits very neatly on the footrests between the pilothouse settees. With the leather cushion removed it makes a perfect small table.

Even with the horizontal part of the bench normally being hidden by the cushion, no shortcuts were taken with construction (thanks Oscar and your team ). Rather than using a ply base, the timber under the cushion is all solid bubinga and has been sanded as smooth as silk, so it can be exposed.

We tend to only pull out the “table” if I have a few platters for us to graze on, or if we have guests, but it is nice to have this option.

I would love to say this was due to good planning, but it was just serendipity.

SWL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3E845819-35BA-4273-846C-EC88DF57E3CC.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	195080  

Old 30-06-2019, 23:23   #2029
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

We tend to only pull out the “table” if I have a few platters for us to graze on, or if we have guests, but it is nice to have this option.
What is the timber used for the bread / cheese board in the pic?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 23:41   #2030

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
What is the timber used for the bread / cheese board in the pic?
Olive wood from Tunisia. We sailed there in 2007.

I purchased similar boards on several little Greek islands and took them back as gifts for family and friends. It is not a timber Aussies are generally familiar with. We need to wait until our “new” olive groves are a few hundred years old .

I just looked at the date on that photo wondering why the spread had not been more lavish. It was taken the week the boat was delivered before we had moved on board. Brings back lots of good memories .

SWL

Old 30-06-2019, 23:43   #2031

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Jefa units are well made. They are mostly machined from solid aluminium and have beefy motors. The drive we selected is larger than standard. It is suitable for boats up to 70’ and it weighs 29 kg. It has heaps of powers and performs exceptionally well.

Unfortunately our unit had a simple manufacturing defect, where one of the large wires feeding the brushes was not routed correctly and was trapped under the top cover, preventing the cover sealing well. This caused the unit to fail within a few weeks of leaving KM.

I think the problem is that Jefa just cannot accept the fact that they could possibly make a manufacturing error. They were initially quite helpful in diagnosing what started out as an intermittent problem, but once it became obvious that the unit had a manufacturing fault, they became very difficult to deal with.

We had the lazarette designed to mount two Jefa units (they are a shape unlike others so it would be necessary to modify the space for another brand). Only one unit was specified for the build, as we thought we would see how it perfomed before installing the second.

The repaired drive will serve as a back up, although it is hard to know how reliable it will be after the initial damage. We have just purchased a second course computer and rudder sensor, so we now have a second completely independent system on board.

SWL
So you did get two Jefa units? Or did I misread? We just installed a L&S type 50 which is good up to 60' for our 47 Kaufman. It's connected to a Pelagic autopilot so completely separate and standalone. We have a spare Teleflex ram that we will at one point install when I find a good deal on a pump unit. May upgrade to a B&G pilot for the L&S and put the Pelagic on backup. But I would agree to the second Jefa if you have a mount for it already. Sucks about the poor customer service. Glad KM is super for stepping up when they didn't have to.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 23:45   #2032

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I think one thing to take away from these pictures is everything is in its place and put away ready to go to sea, so if it does turn out a bit rough stuff isn't going flying everywhere. The cooker angle gives a clue:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...p;d=1561821028

Well apart from the teddy bear without a harness

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 23:55   #2033

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
So you did get two Jefa units? Or did I misread? We just installed a L&S type 50 which is good up to 60' for our 47 Kaufman. It's connected to a Pelagic autopilot so completely separate and standalone. We have a spare Teleflex ram that we will at one point install when I find a good deal on a pump unit. May upgrade to a B&G pilot for the L&S and put the Pelagic on backup. But I would agree to the second Jefa if you have a mount for it already. Sucks about the poor customer service. Glad KM is super for stepping up when they didn't have to.

When the original unit failed last July we purchased a new one when it became clear we had problems with the warranty being upheld. We were in a remote location and trying to get a different unit to fit was not a viable alternative.

Jefa finally repaired the original unit (at KM’s cost) and returned it eight months later.

So now we have two units.

Old 01-07-2019, 00:03   #2034

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
When the original unit failed last July we purchased a new one when it became clear we had problems with the warranty being upheld. We were in a remote location and trying to get a different unit to fit was not a viable alternative.

Jefa finally repaired the original unit (at KM’s cost) and returned it eight months later.

So now we have two units.
Ah, yea I understand. Are the Jefas on opposite sides of the rudder post or next to each other on one side? I can't remember the mounting brackets picture from a couple years ago.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 00:28   #2035

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
Ah, yea I understand. Are the Jefas on opposite sides of the rudder post or next to each other on one side? I can't remember the mounting brackets picture from a couple years ago.
On opposite sides.
The second photo shows the aluminium bases for the units during the construction phase:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C631F27C-D2ED-4BC0-9BE3-E4A56EA954DA.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	195081   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCA20690-40D4-4F5F-BED2-52F1BB8F9B59.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	195082  

Old 01-07-2019, 01:07   #2036
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Olive wood from Tunisia. We sailed there in 2007.

I purchased similar boards on several little Greek islands and took them back as gifts for family and friends. It is not a timber Aussies are generally familiar with. We need to wait until our “new” olive groves are a few hundred years old .

I just looked at the date on that photo wondering why the spread had not been more lavish. It was taken the week the boat was delivered before we had moved on board. Brings back lots of good memories .

SWL
The wood looks great

I feel somewhat mollified for not recognising it

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:26   #2037

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I think one thing to take away from these pictures is everything is in its place and put away ready to go to sea, so if it does turn out a bit rough stuff isn't going flying everywhere.......

Well apart from the teddy bear without a harness

Pete
We took on a new crew member last summer. Willie ‘o Da aald Haa (aka Wills) is a very special bear knitted from wool hand spun from Shetland sheep. He was a gift from a lovely couple we met in Yell. I was told he was “a very capable” little bear, just like his old namesake.

He retreats down below when we are sailing, but insists on being perched in the pilothouse so he can check out the scenery otherwise. He clearly enjoys the pilothouse as much as we do .

SWL

This is Willie’s birthplace. His namesake lived in the ex schoolhouse on the shore, which is now in ruin. The locals reported that we were apparently the first yacht ever seen anchored in this bay (it is not an anchorage marked in the cruising guide):
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BC098AB0-2F31-4EE3-A71F-3ED7429DF900.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	404.9 KB
ID:	195086  

Old 03-07-2019, 07:41   #2038

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Our yacht has been designed primarily for function: aluminium, with minimal paint, a large pilot house and substantial solar arch, but someone once said “a cruising yacht should elicit an admiring glance and smile from their owner as they approach their home from the tender”.

OK, perhaps I am biased, but I am definitely smiling .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	963FCE56-4D4D-4C7C-A2EC-94F8CB12167D.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	195250  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:47   #2039

You have every right to be biased and to give admiring glances. Lovely, lovely boat.

Keep smiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Our yacht has been designed primarily for function: aluminium, with minimal paint, a large pilot house and substantial solar arch, but someone once said “a cruising yacht should elicit an admiring glance and smile from their owner as they approach their home from the tender”.

OK, perhaps I am biased, but I am definitely smiling .
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:07   #2040

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
Keep smiling.
Thanks Kevin.

Next time I may even take the washing down before taking the photo .
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote