Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 23-10-2016, 15:44   #1126

Re: Bestevaer 49ST

How high are those bollards? ie. do they sit above the bulwark?
packeteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 23:24   #1127

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by packeteer View Post
How high are those bollards? ie. do they sit above the bulwark?
The top sits above, but not the horizontal spikes. The camera angle is deceptive, as there will be plenty of room to wrap thick lines around the bollards.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 23:28   #1128

Cruisers Forum Supporter

KM have just installed a 2.6 m long alu workbench with a removable return at the end, in what will be the workshop.

The area above the bench will be insulated like the rest of the living quarters and lined. The area below will have removable 5 tread alu plating.

A huge circuit board will back into this space at the forward end of the bench, giving easy access to wiring:

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/...psask3r89x.jpg

Old 23-10-2016, 23:31   #1129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
The top sits above, but not the horizontal spikes. The camera angle is deceptive, as there will be plenty of room to wrap thick lines around the bollards.
will lines then rub on the rail?
packeteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 23:40   #1130

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by packeteer View Post
will lines then rub on the rail?
Yes, they will, but the rounded top of the toe rail will smooth the path just as a fairlead does. I know proper fairleads are better, but this is how KM have built a couple of dozen Bestevaers without any issues, so we did not ask for modifications here.

At the stern we have "proper" fairleads.

Old 24-10-2016, 00:16   #1131
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

If I could find fault with this build, it would be just one. Its missing a hull

In its favour, the workmanship and attention to detail is exceptional. Having worked with Aluminium in the distant past, and having friends who were good welders of the metal do work for me, I can only take a deep breath of joy in seeing the finished work on each section as completed on the vessel.

To read the words of my colleague Dockhead at his own impression of the design and build features as the structure moves forward, and the very REAL intention to consider Aluminium for his next vessel tells me I am not alone in my observations.

I can only say that Noelex and yourself, after several years of living on an Aluminium boat, to go and have this vessel purpose built of the same metal must have extreme confidence in the choice of material.

It has been an eye opener for me. I have always had an inherent fear of Osmosis and treated the matter as inevitable on GRP boats, and looked for alternative materials and yet for whatever reason dismissed alu subconsciously.

I think possibly because of the ease in which fire destroyed aluminium vessels in the Falklands conflict and because of galvanic current issues. Both these concerns have been addressed and overcome in latter years and I just needed to acknowledge it.

Thank you for sharing the build process with us here on CF. Your choice of boat builders has proved a good one. It is almost like watching a commercial vessel of immense strength and durability being fabricated but on a smaller scale.

I am truly pleased for you both.

Im thinking of ditching my boat designs and moving over to aluminium.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 00:27   #1132

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^^^^^ Weavis, what a lovely post! Good on ya, mate!

Not a newbie boat, at all; such a one couldn't appreciate it.

Ann
Old 24-10-2016, 00:43   #1133

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
If I could find fault with this build, it would be just one. Its missing a hull

In its favour, the workmanship and attention to detail is exceptional. Having worked with Aluminium in the distant past, and having friends who were good welders of the metal do work for me, I can only take a deep breath of deep joy in seeing the finished work on each section as completed on the vessel.

To read the words of my colleague Dockhead at his own impression of the design and build features as the structure moves forward, and the very REAL intention to consider Aluminium for his next vessel tells me I am not alone in my observations.

I can only say that Noelex and yourself, after several years of living on an Aluminium boat, to go and have this vessel purpose built of the same metal must have extreme confidence in the choice of material.

It has been an eye opener for me. I have always had an inherent fear of Osmosis and treated the matter as inevitable on GRP boats, and looked for alternative materials and yet for whatever reason dismissed alu subconsciously.

I think possibly because of the ease in which fire destroyed aluminium vessels in the Falklands conflict and because because of galvanic current issues. Both these concerns have been addressed and overcome in latter years and I just needed to acknowledge it.

Thank you for sharing the build process with us here on CF. Your choice of boat builders has proved a good one. It is almost like watching a commercial vessel of immense strength and durability being fabricated but on a smaller scale.

I am truly pleased for you both.

Im thinking of ditching my boat designs and moving over to aluminium.
Thanks for your kind words Weav .

Regarding fire, being hit by an Exocet missile has a tendency to cause damage that won't just buff out .

The use of aluminium was actually incorrectly blamed for the severe fires on several of the ships that were hit during the Falklands war:

"The sinking of Sheffield is sometimes blamed on a superstructure made wholly or partially from aluminium, the melting point and ignition temperature of which are significantly lower than those of steel. However, this is incorrect as Sheffield's superstructure was made entirely of steel."

By the way, when the Sheffield was hit, apparently the crew sung "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" while waiting to be rescued.

SWL

Old 24-10-2016, 00:47   #1134
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Those double bollards are beautiful and far more roomier than my own singles for handling heavy mooring lines. Also I found my horizontal spikes too short for that final hitch.

But mine are above the combing as the leading turn comes off of the top side of the horizontal spikes.

Will that may be a problem with yours chaffing on the combing?

This photo during painting last year shows my bollards being used to run heavy lines down to anchor blocks and the clearance available

Oops, just saw that you answered already!
Click image for larger version

Name:	1477295142492.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	133613
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 01:00   #1135

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post

Just to expand on our choice of material, we have been extremely happy living with an alu boat for nearly a decade. No material is perfect, but regarding corrosion, taking care with wiring and a few simple precautions eliminates the risk of this.

Safety is one of the big reasons we have opted again for alu over grp. No boat is indestructible, but it is at least easy to build alu to withstand minor impact without penetration. The incorporation of watertight bulkheads and stand pipes instead of underwater through hulls, and the ease of putting a coffer dam around the rudder, and building a super strong rudder, and needing no keel bolts, all add further to safety.
With alu you also eliminate hull to deck join leakage, rot in the core, delamination, osmosis ....... With a bit of care taken in design and construction, general leaks are also much easier to eliminate.

Old 24-10-2016, 11:18   #1136

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A few interior photos from Friday's batch:

The pilothouse is about 3m long and should be flooded with light having 9 windows, 2 hatches and the companionway opening:

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/...pstr4gmj5c.jpg

Tank installation has commenced in the salon area. These larger ones have twin inspection hatches:

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/...pst38mcwkl.jpg

The owners' cabin. The central bed will be a luxurious 2 x 2.1 m, tapering slightly at either end:

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/...psleyufpue.jpg

Old 10-11-2016, 10:53   #1137

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For all those following this thread, sorry for the lengthy silence. We have had almost 2 weeks at KM inspecting the hull and finalizing the interior plans. Apart from the hull and 3D files, we have had a stack of paperwork and lots of meetings that have left my head spinning. It has been an intense time.

The hull is looking just gorgeous - even better in the flesh than in the photos. The welders finish at 4pm, so many evenings we have briefly nipped on board after they have left. I am afraid rather than taking photos I have just sat on the companionway looking through the pilothouse to the rooms below and just letting it sink in that this is actually our boat .

Hull completion time has been pushed back from last week to the end of November, but it will not be long before she is in the finishing area.

The latest side view showing the solar arc the longer pilothouse for the first time:

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/...psclmkz73d.jpg

And the perspective more from the front:

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3cuapgt4.jpg

Old 10-11-2016, 14:07   #1138

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Your young lady grows more beautiful each time we see her.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 14:19   #1139

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

The arch looks beautiful.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 16:46   #1140

Boat: Tartan 40

Gorgeous hull lines

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote