Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 23:09   #1621

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

The ice cube maker being vital tells the story.

SWL: Do take plenty red wine north with you for hot mulled wine for when it finally gets to 0 deg. C.

Been across the equator. Hottest place so far was the Solomon Is. A wind scoop, it the berth is placed correctly to receive the slight breeze, is adequate, ime. There, I was reduced to baking my bread in the pressure cooker (minus gasket, of course).

Ann
Old 13-11-2017, 00:09   #1622

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
The ice cube maker being vital tells the story.

SWL: Do take plenty red wine north with you for hot mulled wine for when it finally gets to 0 deg. C.

Been across the equator. Hottest place so far was the Solomon Is. A wind scoop, it the berth is placed correctly to receive the slight breeze, is adequate, ime. There, I was reduced to baking my bread in the pressure cooker (minus gasket, of course).

Ann
Hi Ann
How exactly do you bake bread in a pressure cooker? That is one thing I have not tried, but I think would be an extremely useful technique, as I bake most of the bread we consume. Do you put it in a pan or straight in the pot? High heat? Lid cracked open? How long does it take?

By necessity, we became red wine and scotch drinkers a few decades ago . Our first boat just had a tiny icebox that stayed cold only a few days into month long trips. Any cold drinks were out. We still had the best times ever . Norway is apparently fairly relaxed with many regulations, but they pounce on alcohol, so that is one item we won't be able to stock up on before leaving.

Shade and good cross ventilation are the keys to handling hot weather. We also have attachment points welded next to each hatch for wind scoops. As well, a fan makes a huge difference to getting a comfortable night's sleep. High humidity is nasty though. A64pilot is right, only airconditioning brings relief. But being stuck indoors is equally bad. Best to just avoid those conditions for long periods .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 00:38   #1623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Norway is apparently fairly relaxed with many regulations, but they pounce on alcohol, so that is one item we won't be able to stock up on before leaving.
https://stillspirits.com/products/turbo-air-still

Perhaps?
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 01:18   #1624

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Now that is way too cool! Is this a common addition specified by other Bestevaer customers? I figured you'd just have a sheet as large as the largest opening and use it wherever needed.... only K&M would have them precut and stored away

Did you goes ever post a layout diagram? I was just curious what the living space vs bow/stern storage looks like in the drawing.

Matt
Hi Matt. The biggest factor that attracted us to the shipyard was their very high standards. In a build like this there are many little details that cannot be specified so it is important that the builder is willing to use quality components. Also KM's various craftsmen take real pride in their work. The carpenters in particular deserve special mention as they have strived to do justice to the solid timber. Everyone who steps on board comments on the beautiful interior finish.

This is the general interior plan. The boat has been set up to accomodate two people in comfort with only very occasional guests. Consequently all the areas are large in an open plan (the watertight door can isolate the owners' cabin). There is an enormous bed with generously sized separate toilet and shower. The extra large galley should still function well in a seaway and I have a separate workshop where I can make a mess.

The pilothouse is the seating area we anticipate using the most when indoors. It will be nice to read or watch a movie while still being able to enjoy the scenery.

There is a lot of "outside" storage in the lazarette and sail locker and we have found this vital for all the gear and toys such as diving equipment that should not ideally be stored in the living space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4214.JPG
Views:	722
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	159135  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 03:17   #1625

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
I think one easy trap to fall into is to try and reproduce the same amenities as we have on shore. The second trap is to over complicate the boat simply because it is bigger or more expensive. Both will create long term headaches.
So true and easily forgotten when some new widget comes along, until it is all too late and essential widget breaks.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 07:19   #1626

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
You've nailed it .
The luxuries that are most important to me are to be dry and safe and to have time to enjoy all the best cruising can offer, rather than being stuck in harbour using up priceless time repairing items or waiting for replacements to come in.

The sea is a harsh environment. I think one easy trap to fall into is to try and reproduce the same amenities as we have on shore. The second trap is to overcomplicate the boat simply because it is bigger or more expensive. Both will create long term headaches.

We are not new to this. We have had a decade cruising on an aluminium boat of a similar size and we have learned which systems are vital for us, which ones we are happy to do without and which ones we feel are totally unnecessary. Rather than complexity, when it comes to yacht build and gear we have gone for simple, tough, reliable, easy to maintain and superbly constructed (my form of luxury), with backs up where practical for critical systems.

SWL

PS Our refrigeration will be a stainless steel National Luna portable fridge. A similar smaller unit will function when required as a freezer or additional refrigeration, and will also double up as a backup. An ice cube maker will be used for sundowners. The ice cube maker falls in the vital category .
I don't understand -- what are you doing without?

Looks like you've got more or less "all the comforts of home" -- and why should you not?

As to your refrigeration (and I note -- fridge plus separate freezer -- camping? yeah right!) -- that looks like a superb solution -- just pull it out and take it in, if it breaks.

Thinking about my own next boat, I'm trying hard to think of as many ways to use standard mass produced items of gear, which can be easily serviced or cheaply replaced, rather than proprietary stuff, as much as possible. This looks like an excellent solution
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 09:17   #1627
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Bestevaer 49ST

As as far as ice makers, the portable counter top ones can’t be beat in my mind.
They are very cheap and easily replaced for $100. My Brother always had built in icemakers, both in his home and on his boats, he always had two as one was always broken and they cost I think at least ten times as much as the countertop models.
Whenever we have excess electrical power, motoring etc., the icemaker is making ice, we store it in 1 Gl ziploc freezer bags.
Ice is indeed a luxury, one that you do not have to do without.
I learned just how much of a luxury in the Army in the desert, we rarely had it, but when we did it was heaven.

We do not have any experience, we have not been out there for years. I have been concerned with whether or not the other half will enjoy it, so I have likely gone a little overboard in equipping our small boat, however I have strove not to be dependent on one single item, except the propulsion engine, I don’t see a way around that in my boat.

However I never intend to cruise in Cool, much less cold weather, and that drives different decisions I believe.
I also don’t think that even if we decide we love this lifestyle that we have much more than a decade doing it left, maybe more if we are lucky, but I’m not counting on it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 09:44   #1628

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I don't understand -- what are you doing without?

Looks like you've got more or less "all the comforts of home" -- and why should you not?
Well, what we won't be doing without on this great adventure that is cruising is a warm, dry interior, plenty of good food and wine, goosedown bedding and cushions, music to listen to and books to read. I consider these my luxuries .

What we are missing out on are primarily power hungry systems that many cruisers seem to consider essential nowadays before they venture anywhere. Airconditioning, clothes dryers, huge fridges and freezers, hot water on tap, to name just a few.

These conveniences have wormed their way into the "basic" category and the overwhelming opinion seems to be that you are "camping" if you opt to live without them.

SWL

PS Check out National Luna portable SS fridges. They are beautifully made.

Old 13-11-2017, 10:35   #1629

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
As as far as ice makers, the portable counter top ones can’t be beat in my mind.
They are very cheap and easily replaced for $100. My Brother always had built in icemakers, both in his home and on his boats, he always had two as one was always broken and they cost I think at least ten times as much as the countertop models.
I think that is great advice.

Equipment on boats unfortunately does often breaks and need replacing. If it can be installed in a way that a different model, with a slightly different overall size can be used (because the old model is likely to have been superseded) this will make your life much easier.

The ultimate solution is to use portable rather than fixed units. This is part of our reasoning behind using portable car fridges that can be easily replaced.

You do need to make sure that any portable equipment is well secured in the event of a knockdown.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 10:58   #1630
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The big difference between you and people like me that are just starting out is experience.
You know what you want and need, I have to theorize what we may want, so therefore I over prepare and over spec.
My idea is what won’t be sorely missed won’t be fixed, and will just be removed when it breaks, what I consider essential items will be duplicated when possible.
I have an icebox conversion and an Engle for instance. However buying an already built Boat, it made more sense to convert the ice box as opposed to trying to rip it out, or I would have gone the portable fridge route, at a fraction of the expense of a conversion I might add, and a whole lot easier to replace.

There are of course a whole lot of options available if you get a custom Boat built, a factory Boat you have to work around what is already there. Right now I’m installing a watermaker, sure would be a whole lot easier if someone hadn’t thought a cockpit ice box would be a good thing, it’s right where my HP pump should be, and who would ever use a built in cockpit ice box?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 21:55   #1631

Quote:

PS Our refrigeration will be a stainless steel National Luna portable fridge. A similar smaller unit will function when required as a freezer or additional refrigeration, and will also double up as a backup.
I like the idea of easily replacable refrigeration and the National Luna are good. What sizes did you decide on? How and where will they be mounted?
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 00:17   #1632

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj88 View Post
I like the idea of easily replacable refrigeration and the National Luna are good. What sizes did you decide on? How and where will they be mounted?
40 litres for the one in the galley. This model has extra thick insulation, primarily to be used as a freezer, but this means it functions more efficiently when operated as a fridge. It will live under the bench at the peak of the U, on top of the 60 litre stainless steel "day" water tank, which will raise it close to bench height. The bench is timber in this portion with a lid incorporated.

It will be secured down with straps. Several other models would fit in the allocated space, up to about 20% larger.

The second unit (freezer/back up fridge) hasn't been decided on yet. We thought we would live with one next year before purchasing another unit.

SWL

Old 15-11-2017, 11:09   #1633

Quote:
Hi Ann
How exactly do you bake bread in a pressure cooker? That is one thing I have not tried, but I think would be an extremely useful technique, as I bake most of the bread we consume. Do you put it in a pan or straight in the pot? High heat? Lid cracked open? How long does it take?

SWL
Here ya go:
1- Remove gasket
2- butter the inside of the PC and the lid
3- Mix up the bread dough. Keep it in the bowl if you're letting it rise twice, and put it in the PC for the second rising. (In cold weather, I light the pilot light in the oven to make a warm place for it rising, or keep the oven warm by adding a pan with lid of boiling water, and keep re-heating the water.)
4- Bake it with the lid on [the gasket being out, heat can escape] in the PC on lowest heat, 45 to 55 min, depending on how large a loaf you're making. Sometimes I make 6-7 c. flour recipes, sometimes 8-10 c. The larger needs a higher capacity PC.
5- When it's done (characteristic hollow sound), tip it out of the PC, and put it back in top down, to brown the top a little, it looks nicer.

Ann
Old 15-11-2017, 11:15   #1634

Who uses cockpit iceboxes are those who like to have drinks and ice out there and keep others from opening the fridge door all the time.

Have some friends who used their boat for corporate entertaining, and that icebox was characteristically filled with champagne, like a galvanized tub and beer, but the beverage was different.

Ann
Old 15-11-2017, 11:50   #1635

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Who uses cockpit iceboxes are those who like to have drinks and ice out there and keep others from opening the fridge door all the time.

Have some friends who used their boat for corporate entertaining, and that icebox was characteristically filled with champagne, like a galvanized tub and beer, but the beverage was different.

Ann
My boat has a cockpit ice box. I never even vaguely considered using it for its intended purpose.

I use it to store harness tethers, air horn, and water fittings.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote