Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 16-11-2017, 20:05   #1651

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

I have been custom re-building my boat now for about 18 years. Pretty much EVERYTHING as been ripped out and radically redesigned to match the way that I use the boat. Nice way to get just what I want.

Frankly, the thought of commissioning a new build as SW and Noelex have done here, scares the hell out of me.

Juggling thousands of details that exist only in a virtual realm, takes a special kind of person. Finding two such people that are also a happy couple is one in a million.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 20:27   #1652

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirar View Post
I haven't checked in for a long while as I have been busy finishing the build of my 55' tinny. I agree with many in this thread that it is impossible in a stock built boat to get the exact details you are looking for and at a reasonable cost. The problem , of course in a custom build is that the possibilities are endless and analysis paralysis becomes the norm. I probably spent an entire year mulling over the implications and choices for every stage of the project . The end result , no one to blame but myself, and I know absolutely everything about it.
Apparently I don't know how to trim that wee staysail though. Ha!
cheers, Greg
Hi Greg
Congratulations!
What a beautiful boat.

You are right about the possibilities being endless. We at least started with a fixed hull shape that needed little modification. We extended the pilothouse by nearly a metre, added a solar arch and had items such as headsail tracks and padeyes and extra handrails and reinforcing plates and swan neck welded on.... Aluminium thickness and rudder strength were also bumped up over "standard".

For the interior the sky was the limit. We began with a totally empty hull with not even bulkhead positions specified. It was not a case of "what do we want altered", it was a case of "what do we want in there at all". It was both exciting and challenging.

We had been thinking about what we would like in a boat for a few decades and we put together a general list before we approached KM nearly 4 years ago. Working fairly intensely it still then took a further five months for us to prepare a more detailed list. Then we commissioned the plans and specifications to be drawn up. These took another eight months to finalise.

There have been around 30 Bestevaers built now so at least there are zillions of good features that can be reproduced. The degree of customisation with the Bestevaers is variable. If all this daunts anyone, a production 45' version is an option.

We have enjoyed most of the process tremendously (watching the boat grow has been sheer joy), but it is almost a full time job planning and supervising. I understand now why many people employ project managers when commissioning a build such as this.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 20:52   #1653

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I haven't checked in for a long while as I have been busy finishing the build of my 55' tinny. I agree with many in this thread that it is impossible in a stock built boat to get the exact details you are looking for and at a reasonable cost. The problem , of course in a custom build is that the possibilities are endless and analysis paralysis becomes the norm. I probably spent an entire year mulling over the implications and choices for every stage of the project . The end result , no one to blame but myself, and I know absolutely everything about it.
Apparently I don't know how to trim that wee staysail though. Ha!
cheers, Greg
wow, Greg, didn't know that you had launched. She's a beaut from the photo! I bet it was a kinda special day when she splashed. So, now get her and you back down here to the SW Pacific so we can see her in the tin!

So very well done, mate!!!

Jim and Ann
Old 16-11-2017, 21:44   #1654

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greg, have you described your build anywhere? I would love to read details.

More photos would be great too .

SWL

Old 16-11-2017, 21:59   #1655
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

You do know Seaworthy and Noelex that we expect a video of the taking to water and first float and the mast being put on?

I also expect to see both of you wiping away tears...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 22:15   #1656

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
You do know Seaworthy and Noelex that we expect a video of the taking to water and first float and the mast being put on?

I also expect to see both of you wiping away tears...
We will be too busy drinking champagne and jumping up and down for any videos or tears .

The first dip is fast approaching. The glass for our pilothouse arrived Wednesday and the box with the prop made an appearance under the hull yesterday. Champagne is chilling and I have my eye on a branch of greenery I can snip off and lay on the bow as the boat is lowered. Launch will probably occur early one morning with little notice. Proper celebrations with all KM's staff will be held when the boat is completed .

I usually sleep like a log, but the last few nights my mind has been buzzing too much to do so .

SWL

Old 16-11-2017, 22:51   #1657
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
We will be too busy drinking champagne and jumping up and down for any videos or tears .

The first dip is fast approaching. The glass for our pilothouse arrived Wednesday and the box with the prop made an appearance under the hull yesterday. Champagne is chilling and I have my eye on a branch of greenery I can snip off and lay on the bow as the boat is lowered. Launch will probably occur early one morning with little notice. Proper celebrations with all KM's staff will be held when the boat is completed .

I usually sleep like a log, but the last few nights my mind has been buzzing too much to do so .

SWL
I cant get away to come over and film it. Away in early part of new year in Hong Kong and Israel to do medical seminars so have to be here and cover until then... Would love to see the splash.. heck Id even do the tears for you...

Perhaps a CFer who is passing Holland could drop in and do the deed...
Old 16-11-2017, 23:01   #1658

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I cant get away to come over and film it. Away in early part of new year in Hong Kong and Israel to do medical seminars so have to be here and cover until then... Would love to see the splash.. heck Id even do the tears for you...

Perhaps a CFer who is passing Holland could drop in and do the deed...
We are fairly private people. Describing this build has been the most personal info we have ever put online. No blogs, no vlogs, no Facebook, no Twitter etc. Give us a few more years before we are ready to make videos public

Old 16-11-2017, 23:10   #1659
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
We are fairly private people. Describing this build has been the most personal info we have ever put online. No blogs, no vlogs, no Facebook, no Twitter etc. Give us a few more years before we are ready to make videos public
I understand that. However in allowing us to follow the build, several THOUSANDS of people have enjoyed the process, watched a Master shipyard in action and dreamed of a KM built boat for themselves on the sheer quality of work and finish.

I have completely changed my view on Aluminium vessels and have learned so much from each post.

It would be a great privilege to see the completion via a short video of it finally in the water.

Regardless of what you decide to do... I thank you for letting us see what can be achieved with vision and knowledge of what you wanted in a vessel.

Its a shame it isnt a catamaran but you are young enough to build one in a few years.

Its been an absolute pleasure to see it being built. Really and truly. It isnt about you, its about a dream and a reality produced from that dream.

Old 17-11-2017, 00:09   #1660

I for one have been living vicariously through your build [emoji23]
packeteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 04:29   #1661

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
I have been custom re-building my boat now for about 18 years. Pretty much EVERYTHING as been ripped out and radically redesigned to match the way that I use the boat. Nice way to get just what I want.

Frankly, the thought of commissioning a new build as SW and Noelex have done here, scares the hell out of me.

Juggling thousands of details that exist only in a virtual realm, takes a special kind of person. Finding two such people that are also a happy couple is one in a million.

Steve
Hi Steve
It helps to have a husband with the patience of a saint. He needs this to put up with me .

You started the thread describing your rebuild the same month we visited KM for the first time. I have been avidly following your progress with admiration. You are a master of all trades!

If anyone hasn't read Steve's thread, this is the link:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...un-101572.html

SWL

Old 17-11-2017, 06:01   #1662

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
There is a lot of "outside" storage in the lazarette and sail locker and we have found this vital for all the gear and toys such as diving equipment that should not ideally be stored in the living space.
I wish more boats were designed this way. For cruising boats, large storage space is essential, and it is also cheaper to build than the furnished living areas. In my ideal boat I'd reserve large sections of the boat (at bow and aft) as storage space. You can also make the waterline longer by having a "rear garage" for your dinghy instead of hanging it on davits at about the same location.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 09:56   #1663

Boat: 55'alloy performance cruiser

Hi all, thanks for the kind responses. Now that the mad panic of launching is over and without highjacking Nolex's thread, I will try posting some more details and pics of our project separately. I will leave you with one more shot of launching day with the family , showing my grand kid Mira, for whom the new craft was named. Jim may recall my daughter, Avry in the photo. Last time we saw he and Ann was Hawaii 1987 I believe.
To the new Bestaever project, I say well done and well deserved!
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2996.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	431.0 KB
ID:	159292  
Mirar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 10:33   #1664

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hi all, thanks for the kind responses. Now that the mad panic of launching is over and without highjacking Nolex's thread, I will try posting some more details and pics of our project separately. I will leave you with one more shot of launching day with the family , showing my grand kid Mira, for whom the new craft was named. Jim may recall my daughter, Avry in the photo. Last time we saw he and Ann was Hawaii 1987 I believe.
To the new Bestaever project, I say well done and well deserved!
Greg
What a lovely photo of you with four gorgeous females

Old 17-11-2017, 11:01   #1665

Quote:
Just so you two know, i love this about you. The amount of general good you have contributed to the cruising community between knots and shackles and anchor photos and all of the thought and ideas involved in this thread being shared is truly staggering. I am thankful to have you even though I know i could never pick you out of a crowd.

I would still be thankful if i COULD pick you out of a crowd, but I admit I do like it this way.
Cu Mor Glas is offline   Reply With Quote