Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2020, 10:00   #1

Benneteau 57

Hi everybody!!

I want to know if some one knows if the 2004 - 2010 Benneteau's 57 Bruce Farr Design are a better build then the Jenneau 54 DS (or Not )
Thank you !!
And Fair Winds !!
Bob24sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:15   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Benneteau 57

Aside from the size difference, they are vastly different. I bet (but not my last money) 57 is about twice the weight?

Why the concern? 54 DS seems pretty well put together.

I have sailed (locally) both boats. Did not find any issues with any of them. But they are quite different (layout, interior, etc)

Give a specific question, I may be able to give a more specific insight then.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 14:40   #3

Boat: 2002 Moody 54 / 1978 Pearson 365 Ketch

I've done quite a bit of research on the B57's and was looking for one to purchase. These 57's were Benneateau's flagship and in my opinion are built better than most Benneteaus after 2008. However, it does not have the build quality or robustness of a Hylas, HR, or Oyster, or Moody of the same era. One of the main problems with these boats is the screwed on teak deck. It's hard to find one whose teak deck doesn't need to be replaced. I ended up with a 2002 Moody 54.
maxsmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 18:05   #4

Confirm. Teak deck on them, if not already replaced, are due for replacement.

Perhaps you find one where the job has already been tackled.

b.
Old 13-06-2020, 10:40   #5

and how much better are the builds of a Moody 54, Oyster 56, or Contest 55 compared to a Beneteau 57 ?? I'm searching in the 2001-2006 range. I'm planning to sail it through the deep blue for 5 years.
Thank's !!
Old 13-06-2020, 10:44   #6

and I saw few Beneteau's 57 and no one was having screwed Teak Deck's
Old 13-06-2020, 11:30   #7

I believe Benetea sometimes fix their teak in some sort of adhesive on the deck and uses scattered self tapping screws in the grooves at random places to fix the planks in place while the adhesive cures. Or that's my understanding anyway from having touched the teaks up on my 2008 Oceanis 43. Consequently, you cannot see the screws and it looks all glued on until it starts leaking. Hasn't been a very big issue on my boat, but you probably don't want to scrub the teak too hard too many times...
Zamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 12:41   #8

The Beneteau 57 is a nice cruising boat and certainly the best built Beneteau I've looked at. Yes their teak decks do not last long and any color gelcoat that isnt white doesnt last very long before it needs paint. The layout is good and they are a quick cruising boat..did Farr ever design a slow boat??
There is something about the better built boats that for some reason allows them to age very gracefully...Beneteau has never made it into this club in my opinion but time will tell on the 57. Personally I like it as it's very high value..ie: lots of boat for the money but there is no doubt that when you first get on a high end boat, for example an Oyster you can feel , see and even smell the difference.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 12:48   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob24sail View Post
and how much better are the builds of a Moody 54, Oyster 56, or Contest 55 compared to a Beneteau 57 ?? I'm searching in the 2001-2006 range. I'm planning to sail it through the deep blue for 5 years.
Thank's !!

For long term ownership, any of the ones you mention will be significantly better than the B57. They were all much more expensive and much more solidly built.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 13:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob24sail View Post
Thank's !!

Contest 55 - VERY HIGH, first hand info,

Oyster 56 - no info, assumed decent / high from being on other sizes,

Moody 54 - high,

These are all very decent upper middle-class man boats.

All of them imho above a Benne 57 boat.

However, due to their design and build philosophy I would take none. They are fine pretty boats to impress people maybe but all suffer from the same futility of the posh at sea.

b.
Old 18-06-2020, 23:27   #11

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Contest 55 - VERY HIGH, first hand info,

Oyster 56 - no info, assumed decent / high from being on other sizes,

Moody 54 - high,

These are all very decent upper middle-class man boats.

All of them imho above a Benne 57 boat.

b.
The question is how much above are they?
Is the value for the money worth of it?
As B57 is really well build where is the difference ?
I have seen Amel/Oyster and B57 and when comes to compare the interior I must admit that high shelf builders are above the B57. But still when you compare the costs of purchase I would be happy with B57 interior.
What am I missing with B57 is rudder on skeg, I do not know how is hull build. But mostly all other "high end" boats are equipped with many additional power/electric units which cause the maintenance much more expensive than B57. Rigging, electronics, engine, shaft and other units are mostly this same on all these boats.
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 07:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman View Post
The question is how much above are they?
Is the value for the money worth of it?
As B57 is really well build where is the difference ?
I have seen Amel/Oyster and B57 and when comes to compare the interior I must admit that high shelf builders are above the B57. But still when you compare the costs of purchase I would be happy with B57 interior.
What am I missing with B57 is rudder on skeg, I do not know how is hull build. But mostly all other "high end" boats are equipped with many additional power/electric units which cause the maintenance much more expensive than B57. Rigging, electronics, engine, shaft and other units are mostly this same on all these boats.

Whether it is worth it or not is something each buyer decides individually. What is worthy to me, may be of zero consequence to another.

If you buy boats by dollar / value then you are much better buying stock, gold or another asset.

A boat is a toy, or a tool, and you should buy accordingly. Toys and tool are not priced by their dead weight.

One perspective, of the tool, is quite straightforward - you go NW passage, you take an Oyster, not a Benneteau.

The other perspective, of a toy boat the discerning retiree is, again, an individual thing. Some take dildoes, other prefer floating caravans. A toy is a toy, and there are many games people play.

You are asking questions only you yourself can answer. Look inside not outside.

(Price is equally irelevant, the adventure the boat takes you to, is.)

Cheers,
b.
Old 19-06-2020, 23:43   #13

Boat: Bavaria C57

I heard the B57 was built to compete with all the above and they never made money on any of them. A lot of boat for relatively little money.
Haddock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 00:29   #14

Boat: Catalina 470

I have no idea how much better ( if they are at all) the more expensive boats are BUT it seems no one else here does either?

I see nothing specific being said, no ones actually pointing out what specifically is better?

How are they better?
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 06:51   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock1 View Post
I heard the B57 was built to compete with all the above and they never made money on any of them. A lot of boat for relatively little money.

B57 was built at the same facilities, by the same team and finished off with the same materials as other B boats.

I like B57 very much, and I think they are very reasonable boats. Can they compete with HR, Contest, OY?

B57 generaly go at the price of a much smaller HR53/54. And at about half the price of a similarly (56) sized OY.

b.