Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2009, 02:11   #76

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
A quick more serious note - if anyone thinks a mono, a cat or a tri is safer than the other they are deluding themselves. All are perfectly and equally safe. Any of them will only become un-safe if the idiot aboard makes it that way.
Totally agree.

I really dislike these " my `****' is bigger than yours type of threads. As in so many things, it is not the equipment, but how you use it. And if you are happy with that, that is all that counts.

If you are not happy, then you need to analyse your own needs and see what meets those needs best without any preconceptions - otherwise your analysis is flawed.

Personally, if your hull is not coloured cream, I reckon your boat will sink and it must be slower, wetter and less comfortable than mine.
Old 17-11-2009, 02:43   #77

Boat: deboated
The last couple of posts are too realistic and lack bite. I do think three engines would be better though not including the outboard that would allow for two failures. After a couple of four xxxx beers I am seeing things much clearer. Two washing machines, micro waves, ice cream makers etc. I can see a multi coming on!
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 03:33   #78

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
I like monos. They totally embody the romance of sail and stir the adventurous soul like nothing else. In fact I like them so much I'd get two, then for convenience I'd stick some sort of superstructure between them so I could get from one to the other while underway. Come to think of it, I'd probably find it easier to manage the sails from whichever boat I was in, if I stuck them in the middle, maybe one behind the other... yeah, that's it... two monos for me...
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 03:54   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Where is your boat Meyermm - we can meet up on the bay and have a drink and debate the issue over a beer. Or not - your call
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 04:21   #80
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
This looks like someone walking up to a stranger and saying "I don't like YOUR boat".

Yeah? Well, okay. Don't look at it, then. Who cares?

As for me, I spent a career going to sea. I like spares. Spares are good. If I can get a shallow draft and a spare hull and a spare motor all in one boat...that works for me.
Old 17-11-2009, 06:55   #81

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Where to slip

Out here on the left-coast a really big consideration is where to get a slip for a multihull. The choice is usually an end tie and pay premium rent or an inside tie and sit in the mud at low tide.
I have never sailed a Multi but have been aboard at the boat shows and I must say that the space they afford is very attractive.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 08:09   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Ex-cal

Is it true that you can't sink a biplane?
Yes - But once inverted you can't right them. You can, however, live on the bottom wing for 12 weeks waiting for a rescue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post

Excluded is Ex-calif as I do believe his monobooms will struggle to stay afloat while he pops ashore for a cold beer. He's definitely a D but was a F but uprated for graphic content I fly so like them airplane thingys.
That's me right there. Always the over-achiever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
The last couple of posts are too realistic and lack bite. I do think three engines would be better though not including the outboard that would allow for two failures. After a couple of four xxxx beers I am seeing things much clearer. Two washing machines, micro waves, ice cream makers etc. I can see a multi coming on!
Leaning towards the dark side...

(You gotta quit drinking. You may wake up one morning on a catamaran...)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 09:55   #83
One of Those

Its fun watching the anguish the mono sailors who secretely want a multihull go through when coming out of the closet.

Head for the light...you will be okay.
Old 17-11-2009, 10:43   #84
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
I personally can't imagine having only two washing machines. I need a clothes washer, dish washer, pressure washer, anchor chain washer, and one of those European bum washers.

No ice cream maker for me - no, I want a cotton candy maker, bread maker, ice cube maker, bed maker, and brownie baker. (I already have the last two which is mandatory to bring)

Since you enjoy drinking like I do, which do you think I should bring - my micro-brew kit or the still? I'd lean towards the still as there's nothing like a little "white lightning" to alter my attitude.

Three engines INCLUDING the outboard is enough for me cause I can always fall back on the sails if need be. But, since were thinking - maybe two outboards, just in case.

Luckly, I should be able to fit all that on a nice sized cat, add about a dozen family and friends, and were off.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 10:53   #85
One of Those

Got me thinking. I need a cat with a large enough trampoline to store my spare cat.
Old 17-11-2009, 11:51   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigamarole View Post
I personally can't imagine having only two washing machines. I need a clothes washer, dish washer, pressure washer, anchor chain washer, and one of those European bum washers.

No ice cream maker for me - no, I want a cotton candy maker, bread maker, ice cube maker, bed maker, and brownie baker. (I already have the last two which is mandatory to bring)

Since you enjoy drinking like I do, which do you think I should bring - my micro-brew kit or the still? I'd lean towards the still as there's nothing like a little "white lightning" to alter my attitude.

Three engines INCLUDING the outboard is enough for me cause I can always fall back on the sails if need be. But, since were thinking - maybe two outboards, just in case.

Luckly, I should be able to fit all that on a nice sized cat, add about a dozen family and friends, and were off.

I'm starting to understand why cruisers cats are always the ones with the hand-painted waterline about six inches above the original submerged one
Old 17-11-2009, 12:15   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
I'm starting to understand why cruisers cats are always the ones with the hand-painted waterline about six inches above the original submerged one
Well, think what you could bring. Two full size gaming computers, wide screen monitor, high speed color printer, 10 port router, and wifi extender.

Did you notice that if you connect your initals with a hyphen, it forms a "cat" V-V Nice!!
Old 17-11-2009, 13:02   #88

SSSShhhhhhh.... it's a secret handshake, while I masquerade as a mono lover (not to be confused with monogamous :-/ )
Old 17-11-2009, 13:17   #89

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I liked cat owners...They always want the party on their boat ...so I get to leave all my empties for them to deal with.....no small matter either..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 13:37   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I liked cat owners...They always want the party on their boat ...so I get to leave all my empties for them to deal with.....no small matter either..
I forgot the trash compactor, garbage disposal, 24 bottle wine cooler, and Jimmy Buffet Margarita maker.

If your partying on my boat, I'll position you right next to the cockpit frig so you don't have to move very far to re-load.