Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 16:17   #16

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Re: Anybody Cruising In A Homebuilt Boat?

My in-laws have been live aboard cruisers on their home-built (steel) Adams 40, for the last 17 years.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 21:02   #17

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36

Launched a Roberts 36 Ketch in early '84 in Melbourne Aus. Cruised for over 3 years, mainly East Coast Aus, PNG, Solomons, back to oz, and back to Bougainville to work for a couple of years, then sailed home. Great experience building, but I wouldnt do it again, and the Roberts 36 was a roomy and very liveable boat. sold the boat in 2001. Its now available on Boatpoint.com.au
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 20:37   #18

Boat: Brent Swain 37

The boat I purchased to live on (Swain 36) and Sail is in poor shape due to the previous owner not keeping up the maintenance of the Hull making sure the portholes did not leak keeping up with painting etc which cost him, and saved me a lot of money. I have a very well equipped offshore proven boat that I intend to build a new hull for and equip from the old including the keels mast etc with the exception of the stays and other items that should be replaced as part of a regular maintenance schedule.

When I bought this boat I knew I would be replacing the hull within a couple of years which works for me, I can now build my own custom boat while living aboard learning to Sail and making all my mistakes on the old hull.

When I do build I will know exactly what I want but most of all I will have the peace of mind that my Steel Hull will be properly prepped and painted on the inside and the interior will be installed in such a way that it can be removed for access to the hull to deal with any rust or corrosion.

Cheers

Vic.
Vic_222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 20:54   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Anyone who ever say to me "I want to build a boat" I say "don't build a boat, finish one". I took a good boat and rebuilt the interior and modified the boat to my liking. t's alot more affordable, esier aand you can get sailing alot sooner. Better to take a project someone else never finished than put yourself in the place where you might be the one that never finishes it
Old 04-01-2012, 00:26   #20

Boat: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 33

Posts 15 & 19 hit the nail for me. That's what we did - bought a completed hull and deck which had been professionally built and then painted with Awlgrip before the small builder went bust. Having said that I doubt it has saved me any money. I stopped counting after we passed GBP 50,000 and I'd guess we are over 70K now. Having said that we have a damned good boat, well built and (externally at least) looking good. Inside it is still a work in progress but I think there is light at the end of the tunnel. It was also huge consumer of time - I was then getting 4 month leaves and my wife and I spent 3 consecutive leaves working 6 days a week on the boat. When i was away my wife still put in at least 3 days herself (as she still is). The job is a lot easier if your partner shares the dream; if they don't it can be a relationship buster. Would I do it again? Never in a million years!

If you really like boat building - and there are folks around who are 'serial' boat builders and seem to just enjoy the building more than the sailing - then go for it. If you are not prepared to invest significant amounts of your time as well as money then go for a finished product and spend that time sailing instead.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:47   #21
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
Anybody here cruising in a homebuilt boat?
Welcome aboard TomM

We're not cruising yet but we are building our own boat. It'll be an near shore coastal trawler and not a long distance passagemaker. Hopefully at 31' it'll be enough for the two of use to cruise the ICW and skip across to the Bahama's etc.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:49   #22
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
If you have the heart of an artist, the hands of a craftsman, and the mind of an engineer, then go for it.
Well said Tager. Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes.

"He who works with his hands is a laborer. He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist." - St. Francis of Assis (1181-1226)
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 20:42   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
Hi,

Anybody here cruising in a homebuilt boat?
Yes indeed a very home built 31 foot cruising boat built in South Africa in the mid seventies and sailed around the world virtually and still going strong a boat called Deja vu. Are you?
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 22:50   #24

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Connie and I bilt a Colvin 42 schooner In 1980 took 14 months, start to finish 3 workmen, with great tools and lots of experince !! we sailed her for 21 yrs sold her, and moved to LA to take care of Connies dad, He has passed so we are on lookout for our next boat Now !!
Old 05-03-2012, 22:56   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Connie and I bilt a Colvin 42 schooner In 1980 took 14 months, start to finish 3 workmen, with great tools and lots of experince !! we sailed her for 21 yrs sold her, and moved to LA to take care of Connies dad, He has passed so we are on lookout for our next boat Now !!
well there is a world of cheap boats out there in this dreadful financial time as I'm sure you know too well. Are you thinking of buying or building. For me, the building was just as much fun as the actual cruise. It was always SO satisfying to see her sailing along in all kinds of weather in all parts of the world. (I wrote a book about the building and sailing just recently published too...
Old 06-03-2012, 17:28   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
If you have the heart of an artist, the hands of a craftsman, and the mind of an engineer, then go for it.
I've got 2 of 3. I am new to the sailing world but the thought of cruising around in a homemade vessel sounds interesting. Or maybe I should lose the romantic image of sailing a homemade vessel and concentrate on the romantic aspect of sailing. Or maybe I should face the truth that the amount of romance in sailing is directly proportional to the amount of money spent..
TomM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 18:45   #27

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Sailerlad, Im looking at ready boats at this time as Im way to old to start another bild !! We are looking at Motorsailers at this time ! See ya out there!
Old 06-03-2012, 19:54   #28
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Sailerlad, Im looking at ready boats at this time as Im way to old to start another bild !! We are looking at Motorsailers at this time ! See ya out there!
Well, with the price of fuel, more sail than motor I hope Either way, good luck to yas...

Tags
cruising