Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2018, 09:15   #1

Boat: Looking
Alliaura Feeling 55 - thoughts?

Hello All - we have been planning our future adventure, and have decided mostly that we would like a catamaran.. until I came across this boat. It seems quite rare, and I can't find a lot of information about it. Its a bit larger than what I imaged I would want for a mono, but offers quite a lot for a full-timing couple with occasional guests.

There is a lot I like that I can see/on paper :
  • very open center cockpit (rare?), seems way less cramped than any other.
  • Dinghey garage!
  • Open space for lounging/table/gear/anything behind cockpit
  • Protected helm from weather
  • Retractable keel (I'm sure there are cons on this, but good for anchorage acceess)
  • Boom furling main
  • Twin Engines (pro for me, redundancy and maneuverability which I am used to on power boat)
  • Large engine bay/access
  • Appealing woodwork - (some boats of this vintage are not as appealing to me).
  • Very light and open salon/galley etc.

The cons I see
  • Lot of freeboard/windage (?)
  • Bit on the large side
  • Small galley for size
  • Uncommon brand/parts difficulty?

Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't investigate more into this boat? Am I missing any major issues? Is this considered to be a true blue water boat?

Also, its 20 miles away from my home.

https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/ya...fornia/6794597
Brav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:57   #2

Re: Alliaura Feeling 55 - thoughts?

Pics for the lazy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6794597_20180802161342507_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	176934   Click image for larger version

Name:	6794597_20180802161348106_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	176935  

Name:	6794597_20180802161348751_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	176936   Click image for larger version

Name:	6794597_20180802161354600_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	176937  

Name:	6794597_20180802161350862_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	176938   Click image for larger version

Name:	6794597_20180802161355397_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	176939  

Old 07-09-2018, 10:02   #3

more pics ..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6794597_20180802161403791_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	176940   Click image for larger version

Name:	6794597_20180802161405646_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	176941  

Name:	6794597_20180802161406846_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	176942   Click image for larger version

Name:	6794597_20180802161409173_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	176943  

Old 07-09-2018, 10:25   #4

I'm no expert and don't know anything about the boat except for what little I just read on the 'net and this listing.

Personally, I like the looks of this boat a lot. With that size and two cabins, it makes for a lot of room for a couple with the occasional visit. I don't think the freeboard is much to worry about when compared to other CCs or catamarans. Of course, it's something to be aware of, but with the bow thrusters you'd have some additional docking control.

I wonder if the garage is really "usable" in real life. For long passages, it seems usable, but for short passages around islands and such, I wonder how you would fight the dingy back into the garage. But the easy answer is using davits for the dingy and that space for more storage if the area is difficult to use for the dingy.

All in all, if I was in the market for a large mono (and it was only 20 miles away) I wouldn't hesitate to look at it closely.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:01   #5

Boat: Koopmans 10.70

If the boat is something for you(r plans) you have to decide for yourself. If you would ask me: it offers without doubt a lot of interior space but from the outside it is more of a floating caravan than a proper yacht.
Both maneuvering and sailing in windy conditions will not be her strong point.
Good luck with making the right choice for your purpose!
sail4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:06   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I am not sure what you mean when you say you have decided mostly on a cat.

A cat is quite unlike the boat you are showing. A cat is a cat and a mono is a mono. Sailing these is quite a different pair of shoes. Comfort at anchor is different. Living quarters are different. Sail handling is considerably different. Maneuvering in tight marinas is WAY different.

I like the boat you are showing and I have been onboard a nearly identical one three months ago, in le Marin, Marinique. Also on sale and also investigated. I was paid for it.

I would NEVER see this boat as an alternative to a cat. My assumption then is you do not have much experience sailing cats. Or do you?

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:59   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

i really like it-- it depends a lot on what type of sailing you want to do-- wife and i essentially wanted something big to live in that we could move around the carib islands thus our choice of boat. This falls right in with that-- if i had seen one of these when i was looking, i might have been tempted even though it is above my budget by quite a bit. i would not worry about the freeboard. if you are going to cruise, you might have to look at the single bow roller and what looks like a somewhat small anchor, but again overall that is a neat boat
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:59   #8

We seriously considered this boat when it hit the market. I spoke w/the broker Jean-Marie for about an hour and had my broker do more investigating.

Jean-Marie said that you'll have about $20K in engine room work, bottom paint (not done in a few years but was scrubbed).

Maintenance side, you'll have double the engine maintenance with hours that are unknown (not original engines) and the generator is also unknown.

No dealer/manufacturer support as they've gone out of business. I hope you're mechanically handy and have good "MacGyver" skills.

For me in Seattle, I would have had additional costs to bring it up.

The benefit of it in being in an LLC, you can avoid CA sales tax by adding you to the LLC and removing the current owner. The slip should also be able to be transferred to you if it is in the LLC's name.

Best of luck!
imacad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 13:03   #9

Thanks all for the input. I am still learning and dont have a ton of experience yet. This would represent something we could live on and learn before we set off in.

Barnakiel - Obviously i realize its missing a hull, and it will never be a cat. There are all the pros/cons for both, not here to debate that. I just think this represents decent value, and as close to more modern "cat-like living" as possible, but clearly not an equivalent - open floor plan (as far as monos go), shallow draft, protected helm, twin engines (although not quite as maneuverable, still helps a lot, esp with thrusters). While we are based in so cal, its far easier to find a slip for a mono vs a cat any greater than 38-40ft. If we get a cat, it would be 42-45 range. A large master is important to us. But this would be minus one bedroom from equiv cat - only significant 1% of the time probably.

I dont have enough experience to know 100% what I would prefer more, but I do know my wife would prefer to not be heeling as much, hence the cat (primary and hugely important consideration). We will likely be at marina/mooring/anchor most of the time, like most. The cats we do like are newer and still just out of our desired budget (i.e., FP Helia).

Madhen - good points. Would prob need to add another sail to the rig.

Imacad - thank you for your insight!

I am handy, no problem to do most repairs and maintenance myself.
Old 08-09-2018, 20:44   #10

I think it is a gorgeous boat with many attractions. Are those carbon fibre booms and masts?
Having lived on my own 55 ft boat for nearly 40 years I would be really asking myself just what is involved in maintaining it. You will need to employ others not because your level of competence is in question but rather simply because the boat is so large. Just cleaning the decks will take 4 times the time required for a 28 ft boat. The amount of volume dependent work (internal stuff) will be 8 times that required for a 28 ft er. Insurance alone will require a friendly bank manager. Often a boat of such size and complexity has a permanent crew member or two.
Beware that the vessel does not own you rather than you own it.
However, it certainly seems to have some attractions. Wind-age seems a bit of a potential problem.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 22:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
i really like it-- it depends a lot on what type of sailing you want to do-- wife and i essentially wanted something big to live in that we could move around the carib islands thus our choice of boat. This falls right in with that-- if i had seen one of these when i was looking, i might have been tempted even though it is above my budget by quite a bit. i would not worry about the freeboard. if you are going to cruise, you might have to look at the single bow roller and what looks like a somewhat small anchor, but again overall that is a neat boat
Just realized it has a retractable bowsprit and additional furler, but not all rigged up for some reason. I’ve seen another 55 which had 3 head sails furled - went on ARC rally I believe.
Old 08-09-2018, 22:14   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
I think it is a gorgeous boat with many attractions. Are those carbon fibre booms and masts?
Having lived on my own 55 ft boat for nearly 40 years I would be really asking myself just what is involved in maintaining it. You will need to employ others not because your level of competence is in question but rather simply because the boat is so large. Just cleaning the decks will take 4 times the time required for a 28 ft boat. The amount of volume dependent work (internal stuff) will be 8 times that required for a 28 ft er. Insurance alone will require a friendly bank manager. Often a boat of such size and complexity has a permanent crew member or two.
Beware that the vessel does not own you rather than you own it.
However, it certainly seems to have some attractions. Wind-age seems a bit of a potential problem.
Valid points about maintenance via size. However no paid crew for us.

My father went from a 47 power to 59 power and I think there is some buyers remorse. But his is wayyyy more complex and larger than this sailboat
Old 08-09-2018, 23:03   #13

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Sounds like a great boat for a mono. I chose a 49’ monohull because I trust monos in a real storm, and they are 1/2 the price of same sixe cat. Money no object I’d like a 50’ cat instead of a 55’ monohull but a monohull with inmast furling is a whole lot easier to sail than a cats huge full battened main.
In boom furling is a touchy system . A few degrees off and it doesn’t work.
Stick with in mast furling. Give it a test sail and see if the main is easy or not.
Some big monos are very heavy mine is 28000 lbs. I’ll bet the 55 is 45000lbs.
If so it won’t be a light wind sailor. 50% more sail area needed. And same for fuel. Acts sail well downwind but not well if at all upwind. It’s ok if you don’t mind motoring. Again, I’d say it’s a budget call.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 21:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSadler View Post
Sounds like a great boat for a mono. I chose a 49’ monohull because I trust monos in a real storm, and they are 1/2 the price of same sixe cat. Money no object I’d like a 50’ cat instead of a 55’ monohull but a monohull with inmast furling is a whole lot easier to sail than a cats huge full battened main.
In boom furling is a touchy system . A few degrees off and it doesn’t work.
Stick with in mast furling. Give it a test sail and see if the main is easy or not.
Some big monos are very heavy mine is 28000 lbs. I’ll bet the 55 is 45000lbs.
If so it won’t be a light wind sailor. 50% more sail area needed. And same for fuel. Acts sail well downwind but not well if at all upwind. It’s ok if you don’t mind motoring. Again, I’d say it’s a budget call.
I found an independent report she does 6-7 at 40 deg, and 9-10 knots at 60, with 15kt of wind. Seems respectable to me. You are right about displacement, 44k.
Old 09-09-2018, 22:43   #15

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

That’s a superb boat — I’d have that in a moment over any cat (and most monos )

Don’t take any notice of whether the company is still in business. If it passes survey then you wouldn’t be interested in the boatbuilder anyway. The manufacturers of all the parts on the boat are all still around and that’s who you’ll need. A Feeling would be second only to one of the larger Southerlys to me.

But as stated above, that’s a massive boat to be handling with just a couple. Are you sure you’re up for such a big boat and can handle it?

And again as stated above, that’s a very different thing from a cat.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote