Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 09:01   #16

Boat: Looking
Re: Alliaura Feeling 55 - thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
That’s a superb boat — I’d have that in a moment over any cat (and most monos )

Don’t take any notice of whether the company is still in business. If it passes survey then you wouldn’t be interested in the boatbuilder anyway. The manufacturers of all the parts on the boat are all still around and that’s who you’ll need. A Feeling would be second only to one of the larger Southerlys to me.

But as stated above, that’s a massive boat to be handling with just a couple. Are you sure you’re up for such a big boat and can handle it?

And again as stated above, that’s a very different thing from a cat.
As a (sailing) novice, I definitely am not sure! Whats more to handle from say a 45 foot mono/cat? she has bow and stern thrusters, 4 electric winches, 3 furlers, twin engines. I have maneuvered 50-60 foot power yachts in tight spaces without much problems, even some without bow thrusters.

Aside from the length itself and getting in her own way in small marinas, should be fairly easy to maneuver, and great visibility. From more teak to maintain, more hull to scrub, and more decks to wash, what would be more difficult to handle? (A real question, from a beginner).
Brav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:03   #17

Boat: Amel 50
Re: Alliaura Feeling 55 - thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brav View Post
Aside from the length itself and getting in her own way in small marinas, should be fairly easy to maneuver, and great visibility. From more teak to maintain, more hull to scrub, and more decks to wash, what would be more difficult to handle? (A real question, from a beginner).
The forces on equipment are much greater on a larger boat compared to a smaller one. So, mistakes can be much more costly, in every way. At the same time, a properly sailed larger boat is much more comfortable than a properly sailed smaller boat. I've met couples circumnavigating on 60+ monohulls with ease. It depends on experience.

With the two engines, the Feeling 55 should be easier to dock, depending on how far apart are the engines. If they are too close, they should probably be treated as one engine. A bow thruster would also help a lot.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote