Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2013, 18:30   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
The S2 is faster, lighter and in my opinion scantly laid up. ...
The S2 is actually slightly heavier.
Old 13-06-2013, 18:34   #17

Boat: Valiant 40

1) "Has made several transatlantic trips" means that someone has put tens of thousands more stress cycles on the hull than some coastal weekend boat. Why people think this is a sign of a good boat is beyond me. Look for a lightly used example of the same boat.

2) There is an adage in yacht sales that it takes many selling owners two years to come to terms with the true market value of their boat. I think someone selling privately on Craig's List with the intro "I'm thinking of selling my boat" is probably in that camp.

The S2 is a new design, faster, roomier, and probably in all respects the better value. Personally, I've always hated the cabin design of Alberg 35's. They look cartoonish really spoil the lines of the topsides. So it goes.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 18:52   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
... Personally, I've always hated the cabin design of Alberg 35's. They look cartoonish really spoil the lines of the topsides. So it goes.
Its all in the eye of the beholder. Next thing you know someone will be telling Bob that the blunt, flat front of the Valiant cabin isn't beautiful.
Old 13-06-2013, 18:58   #19

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Alberg 35

Pal o mine has a moisture meter I've been carrying around lately looking at boats, Thomm. It's the one recommended by Maine Sail ... $160. Understanding the Moisture Meter / Electrophysics CT-33 Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com. An additional edge beyond the buyers' market angle IMO.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 21:06   #20

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The S2 is actually slightly heavier.
Hmmmm...You are correct...I would never have guessed.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 03:21   #21

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Comparing the two is a little like comparing an International Scout to a Chevy Impala. The Alberg 35 is stoutly built, cramped and is terrible dead down wind. I know...I delivered one. The S2 is faster, lighter and in my opinion scantly laid up. There is one next to me for sale. The guy had his rigging "tuned" and 1/2 the cabinet doors would not open or close properly. In other words, when the rig was tuned, it tweeked the boat. My advise is to keep looking. Maybe talk to a Surveyor and get his opinion. A good boat between these two might be a Tartan 34 or Islander 36 from the mid 70s.
I do like both the Tartan 34 and Islander 36. I'm a little concerned about the cored hulls on the Tartan tough, but I understand Tartans are very well built. Here is an Islander that I like. (2000 model engine) Plus that kid Zac Sunderland did circumnavigate on a '72 Islander 36 deep keel version. (after his Dad beefed it up some, and repaired it along the way)

Btw, this one has the 4'9" shoal draft. What effect will that have for a cruising boat? I know it won't point as well as with the deeper keel, but will it be less stiff downwind, etc? John Kretschmer said they were never that popular .......the shoal draft models.

I just remembered also that many S2's have cored hulls. The 36' S2 does not. Do you remember which Model S2 got the rigged tuned near you?

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...oat_id=2562996
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 05:30   #22

Boat: Alberg 37

Thomm, take the A35 out for a sail. It should handle a lot like the B27, but better since it is 50% bigger. As it is a buyer's market, you can make an offer incorporating items from a survey and maybe get a great deal. I sold my B27 and went to an Alberg 37; I've been very happy with the upgrade.

Other than that, just find a good boat that is solid and works for you.
bluemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 06:16   #23

I am somewhat worried about the age of this (the Alberg 35) boat. Owner says decks have been redone etc.

That Alberg 37 is quite a boat as I understand it and was designed specifically for offshore.

I just do not like the way my Bristol 27 goes downwind. I'm probably way spoiled from my catamaran racing days where the boat weight was around 300lbs and sail area was the same as my Bristol (the cat's also had spinnakers) Of course, I was rarely in the size waves on the catamarans that I have been in on the Bristol here in the lower Chesapeake Bay.

I was thinking the Islander or the S2 would be better, (But) I haven't bought anything yet because my Bristol can run me back and forth across the lower Chesapeake with no problem and while I'm still working probably all I'd need.

My Bristol is for sale but no takers yet. I didn't redo it. I just painted the bottom, removed the old diesels (long story), bought a new main, and sailed it 75 miles south to Va Beach. Since then just back and forth to Kiptopeke, Cape Charles and daysailing, etc.
Old 14-06-2013, 07:55   #24

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I do like both the Tartan 34 and Islander 36. I'm a little concerned about the cored hulls on the Tartan tough, but I understand Tartans are very well built. Here is an Islander that I like. (2000 model engine) Plus that kid Zac Sunderland did circumnavigate on a '72 Islander 36 deep keel version. (after his Dad beefed it up some, and repaired it along the way)

Btw, this one has the 4'9" shoal draft. What effect will that have for a cruising boat? I know it won't point as well as with the deeper keel, but will it be less stiff downwind, etc? John Kretschmer said they were never that popular .......the shoal draft models.

I just remembered also that many S2's have cored hulls. The 36' S2 does not. Do you remember which Model S2 got the rigged tuned near you?

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...oat_id=2562996
I'm not sure an older Tartan 34 is cored, other than the decks. I had a 1966 Tartan Blackwatch 37 that had a problem with the plywood cored decks but the hull was all F/G. I'm working on an Islander 36 now doing an engine install (Ferryman to Beta). There is a good owners association with endless information about the boats. To me it seems well built. Depending on the level of work you want to do to one, I have seen them sell from $12K to $50K. I think all of the I36's had 6 ft. draft.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 08:30   #25

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Can anyone give me some info on this boat? I found a nice but old one that has been rebuilt with a new engine.

Alberg 35 Sailboat REDUCED

I'm also looking at a 1985 36' S2 at about the same price with a newer engine.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198.../United-States

Is the 1985 boat that much better than the old ( I think it's a 1961) Alberg 35.?

A friend of mine with a kickass C & C 37 said he had an Alberg 35 pass him one day in a heavy weather situation. He said he couldn't believe it. Said he caught him later when it laid down some. Btw, the C & C guy has racing experience.....

Background info. I bought an old Bristol 27 as my first monohull a couple years ago. (raced small 16'-20' catamarans for 15 years before that) My Bristol wallows a bit downwind in heavy wind. Will the 12' wide S2 be tons better than the more narrow Alberg? Btw, the Alberg 35 (or 36' S2) is for when I do serious offshore stuff. Maybe Bermuda etc...........
Nothing you list there surprises me given what I know about Albergs. I would suggest that if you wish to live aboard or coastal sail, the Alberg 35 or the sloop version of the 37 (I like the ketch 37) may disappoint in all but heavy stuff, in which case you will appreciate its qualities. Many's the "old shoe" that can work to weather in rough stuff better and with less fuss than a hot rod, and let's face it, the C&C 37 isn't even particularly new, just "hotter" in most conditions than any Alberg.

If you were going voyaging solo or as a couple, the 35 is an OK choice, excepting that it's less commodious than more modern designs (a lot of truly compact Alberg 30s have done circs safely). If you are staying coastal/inshore for weekend trips, the S2 is a good choice and a considerably faster boat.

Just my .02. Your sailing may vary. The comment about fatigue cycles is well made. The vast majority of fibreglass boats will not reach the failure end of their cycle, but "several" transatlantics is another thing entirely. I think the sweet spot is that you buy a boat that's gone one or two ocean trips, to prove it's suited to the purpose. You don't buy an old one that's been a regularly scheduled ferry...unless you are sticking to coastal or fair-weather sailing.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 10:59   #26

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Its all in the eye of the beholder. Next thing you know someone will be telling Bob that the blunt, flat front of the Valiant cabin isn't beautiful.
She's a shoebox on a banana.

In truth, the reason I hate that blunt cabin front is because I keep hitting my head on the corner where it meets the deck in the v-berth. If that corner were 8" forward, which it would be if the front was sloped a bit, I'd have fewer bruises on my scalp.

In fact it's not the shape of the Alberg's cabin that I don't like, it's the port lights. But as you say, to each their own.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 11:17   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
She's a shoebox on a banana.
I'm telling Bob you said that!
Old 14-06-2013, 11:20   #28

Quote:
I'm not sure an older Tartan 34 is cored, other than the decks. I had a 1966 Tartan Blackwatch 37 that had a problem with the plywood cored decks but the hull was all F/G. I'm working on an Islander 36 now doing an engine install (Ferryman to Beta). There is a good owners association with endless information about the boats. To me it seems well built. Depending on the level of work you want to do to one, I have seen them sell from $12K to $50K. I think all of the I36's had 6 ft. draft.

Yep, the Islander 36 I posted that is for sale has the 4'9" shoal keel. I wonder how much difference it makes for a cruising nonracing boat. Of course, it would be good here in the bay becuase of all the shallow creeks we have.
Old 14-06-2013, 13:09   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Nothing you list there surprises me given what I know about Albergs. I would suggest that if you wish to live aboard or coastal sail, the Alberg 35 or the sloop version of the 37 (I like the ketch 37) may disappoint in all but heavy stuff, in which case you will appreciate its qualities. Many's the "old shoe" that can work to weather in rough stuff better and with less fuss than a hot rod, and let's face it, the C&C 37 isn't even particularly new, just "hotter" in most conditions than any Alberg.

If you were going voyaging solo or as a couple, the 35 is an OK choice, excepting that it's less commodious than more modern designs (a lot of truly compact Alberg 30s have done circs safely). If you are staying coastal/inshore for weekend trips, the S2 is a good choice and a considerably faster boat.

Just my .02. Your sailing may vary. The comment about fatigue cycles is well made. The vast majority of fibreglass boats will not reach the failure end of their cycle, but "several" transatlantics is another thing entirely. I think the sweet spot is that you buy a boat that's gone one or two ocean trips, to prove it's suited to the purpose. You don't buy an old one that's been a regularly scheduled ferry...unless you are sticking to coastal or fair-weather sailing.
"S-2 for coastal crusing" I agree, as the S-2 has no bridge deck among other things not condusive to offshore sailing...imo
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 15:21   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
"S-2 for coastal crusing" I agree, as the S-2 has no bridge deck among other things not condusive to offshore sailing...imo
There are 2 types of S2's: the racers with cored hulls which are lighter and the cruisers. The 36' S2 has a displacement of 15,000 lbs, ballast 6,000 and has a 5'6" draft. As far as the bridge deck, does this count?

See attached. One is from my old Bristol which is definitely a bridge deck, but how about the S2's photo with the wheel steering.............

Btw, the Bristol photo is one of the ones I took when I first found it. It had been on the hard for 5 years...........fun stuff! It was loaded because the owner had left it on the Eastern Shore after a two year cruise to Florida from Massachusetts. He died of cancer before he could get back and sail it home. He was an old salt in his 80's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	037.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	440.7 KB
ID:	62548   Click image for larger version

Name:	bridge deck.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	62549  

Tags