Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2012, 20:01   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: 66 Alberg 30, Girl of my Dreams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
Wait, are you saying there is no inboard?. If that is the case, I think you are paying way too much.

IMO, $14k for an Alberg 30 is probably too much, regardless of how wonderful the boat's condition might be, with lots of great sails and a relatively new Yanmar or Beta diesel of at least 15hp.

For this boat, with no inboard, I can't see that price at all.

Sorry, but that's my opinion.

I didn't want to say it because I get myself in hot water when I do...but I agree with this. There are lots of boats asking $20K that can be had for $14. with better performance, larger volume, with a good diesel and every bit as tough as that A30. The A30 is a good little boat but check around on prices and don't do what we all do...fall in love.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 20:15   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I didn't want to say it because I get myself in hot water when I do...but I agree with this. There are lots of boats asking $20K that can be had for $14. with better performance, larger volume, with a good diesel and every bit as tough as that A30. The A30 is a good little boat but check around on prices and don't do what we all do...fall in love.
Well, if stating an opinion such as mine gets one in hot water on CF, I must be in the wrong place. It's one thing to look at a deal in which someone is buying a boat that is priced a bit too high, or a boat that is probably not appropriate for what the buyer has in mind, and say to yourself "I would never pay that much or buy that boat, but if the OP is happy, who am I to burst the bubble." Because it might work out just fine.

But in this case, the purchase price is so far out of line, and the boat is so clearly not going to be a good liveaboard for two people, that I think we are obliged to let the OP know what we think.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 20:34   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Well, if stating an opinion such as mine gets one in hot water on CF, I must be in the wrong place. .
People love their boats and will defend them to the death. I just hate getting involved in the endless..."why my boat is the best boat" issue.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 20:40   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
People love their boats and will defend them to the death. I just hate getting involved in the endless..."why my boat is the best boat" issue.
I agree with both points. But in this case, the boat is not the OP's. Yet. And it's obvious, at least to me, that the OP has fallen in love with the wrong boat, at the wrong price. And the OP has asked for opinions on that.

So I have stated mine.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 21:06   #20

Boat: Alberg 30

FWIW, I paid 13k for mine in much worse shape. I'd probably have gone for the Benteneau if it was around in my area at that price. Hindsight is 20/20, I'm too far in to back out now. I didn't fall in love, I bought mine under false information, trying to play it safe buying a smaller boat with all new components vs buying a newer hull with original components, I had my eye on a good one even but wanted lower risk, surveyor ignored the issues, and seller was either lying or ignorant of what he was floating around in(as was I, I've now learned the hard way, everything in it is in crappy shape). I agree with Speedoo about the inboard though. Without it, I'd want a bigger discount than that.

Storage space vs other boats: I'm not so sure about the lack, I find that the large cockpit lockers let me put a lot of things that would normally fill up interior space out of the way(like sails). Compared to the Aloha 32 I was also looking at, I've lost the larger head with shower, and some of the width of the floor, but in terms of usable space, I feel it's about the same, especially with the sails not being in the V-berth. I appreciate the shallow draft(for peace of mind) and the encapsulated keel. I like a tiller better than wheel too. I don't like how she backs under engine, but I suspect that's normal.

I find that a slightly larger boat you get slightly larger everything(head included) so the actual increase isn't as big as you'd think. If your budget fits, and you like the boat, go for it.
With a bit of remodeling for increased storage, I find we have MORE room than we did in my room, perhaps that comes from sharing a single small room anyways.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 22:31   #21

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

This seems a reasonable price, maybe a couple thousand higher than normal but the "normal" is one in rough condition. I think an outboard is best for this vessel ( IMO). Albergs are fantastic vessels and very easy to fall in love with.
If all chainplates and thru hulls have been replaced( and replaced right) then I'd focus on the hardware on the mast. The tangs, blocks, etc are probably original.

I think I know this vessel, she is a beaut. If you like I can put you in touch with the commodore to SSCA who also helps run the Kemah Texas, Cape Dory/Alberg group. He might be able to give ya some input if you are unsure of your decision. Id help ya but I'm not in Texas right now.

Short list of Albergs and their average price that have been up for sale
Alberg Sailboat Photo Gallery as you can see, their price is all over the place.

Mike Firestone for surveyor is the best.

All this advice, it's your life, your adventure, I hope whatever you do it works out well and you have a great home for you and your girlfriend. And hey, see ya in the Caribbean!

Cheers,
Mrs. Rain Dog
Old 30-05-2012, 00:34   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

The great risk when posting topics like this is that you get opinions from people that could sway you one way or the other. These opinions are mostly of course biased in some way and should in no way be taken as guidelines to living your life as you want it. If you love it, the boat, and the surveyor says it is a good boat, then take the leap and let yourselves enjoy it. No matter what make/model boat will be put up in situations like this, there will be those for, and those against. The secret is being able to have confidence in your instincts and to be happy with whatever happens after that. Good luck to you both.

Coops.
Old 30-05-2012, 02:31   #23

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329

Alberg 30 owner here.

I would go bigger/wider if I were planning for two people to live aboard. You can only carry about 2200 pounds before you are below your stripes. That includes you and the Mrs! It adds up fast.

Like others have said, the price seems steep for a boat with an 6.5 outboard. It does have all of the important upgrades as you mentioned. Maybe you can get it at your price and I hope you do.

The A30 is a sweet boat and a good sailor. I am in the midst of a total refit and repower while she sits on a trailer I had made.
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 03:48   #24

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
If I recall correctly, when Yves dismasted his A30, the size of the bolts in the chainplates was not the issue. It was the actual structure the chainplates are bolted to that gave way and allowed the chain plates (with bolts intact) to rip through the deck. Backing plates and larger bolts would not have prevented this... when he refit the boat he enlarged the 'knees' and reinforced them before installing new plates.

But I wouldn't worry about that unless you're going into the Southern Ocean in the near future Looks like a great boat and the A30's are my favorite of the Albergs

(edit) I guess I didn't recall correctly.... He did say the bolts sheared :shrug: Must be thinking of a different boat
Good Points but as an Alberg 30 owner I have done a bit of research and according to a 30min video of Yves on youtube he states that the bolts were not upgraded when he put a larger double spreader rig on his Alberg for his circumnavigation. When he was dismasted it was infact the bolts that sheered off. It was later after that he experienced delamination of the forward lower knees. Either way it is a good idea to fix both of these short comings of the Alberg 30. I have fixed both on mine.
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 04:18   #25

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Regarding opinions, the OP said...

"Really, I am just looking for some devil's advocates or, secretly, reassurance from my cruising peers. I just want some opinions."
Old 30-05-2012, 09:14   #26

Boat: Alberg 30

The other benefit of an a30(and it's a big one) for new boat owners like me is the active owners and groups., most owners do seem to do their own work, with a lot of variation, so there is a huge knowledge base. Prefer electric, there's into the blue's blog. want to upgrade the mast beam? There's 3 online guides, and the mailing list. I've owned a few motorcycles, the best loved models with dedicated owners and online resources were the easiest to learn on, care for and upgrade.
what is taking up the space where your engine was?

My bad buying experience aside, I like the boat, I'd prefer to be the next owner after I'm done bringing everything up to spec, but the education is good too.
2200kg(5000lbs)(minus the motor and tanks you haven't got) is still a fair bit. Pick your stuff thoughtfully. Take advantage of modern technology for day to day stuff.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 09:53   #27

Quote:
Wait, are you saying there is no inboard?. If that is the case, I think you are paying way too much.

IMO, $14k for an Alberg 30 is probably too much, regardless of how wonderful the boat's condition might be, with lots of great sails and a relatively new Yanmar or Beta diesel of at least 15hp.

For this boat, with no inboard, I can't see that price at all.

Sorry, but that's my opinion.
I agree, if outboard powered not worth near that. With a good inboard diesel, yes if you love it. There's a nice Alberg 35 up here that's been nearly rebuilt, needs the mast and rigging done now to be a total refit if i remember right. Recent inboard diesel. Been asking $15k for a long time..... Seems like a conundrum: Gravity fed water and Air conditioning!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 10:31   #28

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
Re: 66 Alberg 30, girl of my dreams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utilitary View Post
It's outfitted with a 6.5 outboard. You're in Houston! Boat is in Kemah. Do you have any recommendations for a surveyor?

I just got a quote for under $500 including haul-out. Is there anything else I can 'quickly do' while it's out? Wish I could quickly fill in the prop aperture! That's a project down the road I guess...
imho, look for inboard.

mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 16:50   #29

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I agree, if outboard powered not worth near that. With a good inboard diesel, yes if you love it. There's a nice Alberg 35 up here that's been nearly rebuilt, needs the mast and rigging done now to be a total refit if i remember right. Recent inboard diesel. Been asking $15k for a long time..... Seems like a conundrum: Gravity fed water and Air conditioning!
+1

For a couple, the Alberg 35 definitely a better living space, and even more on newer boats, some going begging these days. Best of luck.
Old 30-05-2012, 22:57   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Shameless plug or not, it's a good looking boat, wish it were over here, would not even haggle with you.

Coops.

Tags
alberg, alberg 30