Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2012, 07:03   #31

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: 66 Alberg 30, Girl of my Dreams?

TU, we think she is beautiful also.
I noticed the original boat is located in Texas, and it's just a hop skip and a jump to one of the most amazing cruising areas around!

Why not START your cruising life where you want to go?

Cyndimarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 20:58   #32

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40
As a former Alberg 30 owner, not only is it a true classic of yacht designs, I know of three that have circumnavigate, none using Suez. It is a truly lovely boat, desogned and built when sailboats looked like sailboats, but then Carl Alberg could not have designed anything ugly even had he tried. Spartan, yes. Not spacious. But safe, seaworthy, And easy to sail. I single-handed all along the Texas and Louisiana coasts.
Hopefully what you get will not have the old Atomic Four. Practically indestructable in their day, the newest Atomic fours are pushing 25 years now, and 25 years in salt water will the best maintained over the hill.
The last hulls of the A-30 were built in 1988, so alMost any A-30 will be looking at re- power, and probably re-rigging. But just figure you will pay for that either now or later.
But the boat is a true classic that will take youanywhere safely, with class.
Mickey Rouse
Old 04-06-2012, 03:28   #33

Boat: Alberg 30

Seems the outboard is a popular choice on the A30.
Some of the information on it is actually making me re-consider my first choice to re-power with an electric engine should my Yanmar give up the ghost. The ability to actually back up would be a huge perk, and that huge storage capacity of the engine bay is unrivaled by any other single space on the boat.

Here's one owners thoughts from the A30 mailing list.
I have been off the mailing list for several years,
but I have continued to work on JANTE II throughout.
So far, I have painted the entire boat...first the hull below the water line, then the hull above the water line...the decks...and finally the interior. I scrapped the inboard and installed a Nissan 9.9 four stroke
outboard in a well formed from the aft locker.
I'm extremely happy with the outboard configuration.
I have the engine controls in the cockpit as I did with the old inboard, fuel efficiency is incredible, speed/power are about the same,
and since I can steer the engine, my maneuverability is much improved (See the attached photos).
I'm still sailing on Lake St. Clair outside Detroit and this summer's big trip was to the Georgian Bay on Lake Huron.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:58   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrown View Post
Seems the outboard is a popular choice on the A30.
Some of the information on it is actually making me re-consider my first choice to re-power with an electric engine should my Yanmar give up the ghost. The ability to actually back up would be a huge perk, and that huge storage capacity of the engine bay is unrivaled by any other single space on the boat.

Here's one owners thoughts from the A30 mailing list.
I have been off the mailing list for several years,
but I have continued to work on JANTE II throughout.
So far, I have painted the entire boat...first the hull below the water line, then the hull above the water line...the decks...and finally the interior. I scrapped the inboard and installed a Nissan 9.9 four stroke
outboard in a well formed from the aft locker.
I'm extremely happy with the outboard configuration.
I have the engine controls in the cockpit as I did with the old inboard, fuel efficiency is incredible, speed/power are about the same,
and since I can steer the engine, my maneuverability is much improved (See the attached photos).
I'm still sailing on Lake St. Clair outside Detroit and this summer's big trip was to the Georgian Bay on Lake Huron.
That owner does not talk about how he keeps his batteries charged. Without the alternator on an inboard, you would have to rely on some combination of solar, wind, and some kind of generator if you are going to do any kind of cruising beyond overnights.

That is disadvantage #1 for an outboard. #2 is, in that case with the motor all the way aft, lack of power when the outboard's prop comes out of the water in a seaway.. #3 is the need to carry quantities of gasoline and outboard oil, which is both a PITA and a safety hazard.

There are probably other disadvantages of an outboard in a cruising situation, so I would weigh the pros and cons carefully.

And in the case of this OP, he/she wants to pay $14k for a boat that is equipped with a 6.5hp outboard, which will certainly not be adequate, power wise, for the kind of cruising intended, to the Caribbean.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:48   #35

The new 4 stroke outboards with controls are nice machines. The problem has always been that in lumpy seas the prop comes in and out of the water. Also, reverse doesnt do much compared with an inboard.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 20:10   #36

I started cruising with an outboard hanging off of the back of my small (26 foot) boat. After about the 15th time it went under water and stalled, I could no longer resurrect it and gave it a decent burial at sea. That was in the first 1000 miles of cruising. The next 8000 miles were without an engine. Would I recomend buying a cruising boat without an inboard? Not unless you are too dirt poor to afford an inboard. The lack of an engine limites the places you can go safely, and many passes that you could motor into with an inboard will be dangerous with an outboard due to swells that can cause your boat to pitch and the out board to go under water, and yes my outboard was a long shaft. I admire all Alberg boats but if you want to go cruising get one with an inboard diesel unless you are a purist that accepts the limitations of an unreliable engine situation. Just my 2 cents worth.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 22:48   #37

Boat: Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
That owner does not talk about how he keeps his batteries charged. Without the alternator on an inboard, you would have to rely on some combination of solar, wind, and some kind of generator if you are going to do any kind of cruising beyond overnights.

That is disadvantage #1 for an outboard. #2 is, in that case with the motor all the way aft, lack of power when the outboard's prop comes out of the water in a seaway.. #3 is the need to carry quantities of gasoline and outboard oil, which is both a PITA and a safety hazard.

There are probably other disadvantages of an outboard in a cruising situation, so I would weigh the pros and cons carefully.

And in the case of this OP, he/she wants to pay $14k for a boat that is equipped with a 6.5hp outboard, which will certainly not be adequate, power wise, for the kind of cruising intended, to the Caribbean.
My thoughts were more along the lines of it not being a deal breaker, but an accepted alternative on these boats, and maybe a reasonable way to deal with an older boat that he likes/may have some commitment to rather than a very pricey re-power with an inboard. Making a well would take time, but probably less money, and help keep the prop in the water I think?
I would think the outboard would need replacing just for peace of mind anyways? A nice used 4 stroke with decent power would be a more reasonable choice.

#1, to run the AC etc you would need a generator on board? A small Honda or similar I would think? I wouldn't want to rely on my diesel engine for most of power, seems a very expensive piece of equipment to use for primary power generation.

#2. Installing it in a well in the Lazarette as per the post I was quoting seems to be reasonable, not saying it is better in rough conditions than an inboard diesel, I don't doubt that it is not, but not as good is not the same as cannot be used at all.
#3. You'd need gasoline for a dinghy, generator etc anyways, diesels use oil too.

Price: I felt that was already adequately addressed in the thread, by people who have much more accurate ideas of what things are worth. I didn't think my re-stating it would benefit anyone, as I felt the thread was moving past that point. I just wanted to provide a bit of information I'd come across, as I have a Yanmar that I don't know enough about yet in mine, so I am continually filing away various re-power options just in case it turns out to be unreliable.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 23:29   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrown View Post
My thoughts were more along the lines of it not being a deal breaker, but an accepted alternative on these boats, and maybe a reasonable way to deal with an older boat that he likes/may have some commitment to rather than a very pricey re-power with an inboard. Making a well would take time, but probably less money, and help keep the prop in the water I think?
I would think the outboard would need replacing just for peace of mind anyways? A nice used 4 stroke with decent power would be a more reasonable choice.

#1, to run the AC etc you would need a generator on board? A small Honda or similar I would think? I wouldn't want to rely on my diesel engine for most of power, seems a very expensive piece of equipment to use for primary power generation.

#2. Installing it in a well in the Lazarette as per the post I was quoting seems to be reasonable, not saying it is better in rough conditions than an inboard diesel, I don't doubt that it is not, but not as good is not the same as cannot be used at all.
#3. You'd need gasoline for a dinghy, generator etc anyways, diesels use oil too.

Price: I felt that was already adequately addressed in the thread, by people who have much more accurate ideas of what things are worth. I didn't think my re-stating it would benefit anyone, as I felt the thread was moving past that point. I just wanted to provide a bit of information I'd come across, as I have a Yanmar that I don't know enough about yet in mine, so I am continually filing away various re-power options just in case it turns out to be unreliable.
#1. No, the idea is to have the alternator charge the batteries whenever the engine is running, and to have that alternator also available as an emergency charger when the batteries are down and nothing else is available. I certainly agree that the engine should not be used regularly just to charge the batteries.. I would go with solar and wind as my primary sources of battery power, and I would add a small Honda generator if necessary.

If you decide to get rid of your Yanmar and you are anywhere near Annapolis, Md., and the Yanmar is 15hp or more, and fresh water cooled, let me know. I may take it off your hands.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:24   #39

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
My 32 advertised for 14000 and sold with the fifth numeral removed.

The boat world is on its knees and surveyors will tell you nice yachts have been selling for back slip fees as people are just walking away.

Don't call a surveyor asking him to look at a boat, ask him where you should be looking. Banks, credit unions, look around.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:06   #40

I suppose if the OP really loves the boat, the boat is a bargain, has time and is not going "offshore" right away, (alot of ifs!) then he could reinstall an inboard used diesel at some point. The boat still has the shaft in it?

Old 06-06-2012, 19:13   #41

Boat: Newport 27 S-II
Re: 66 Alberg 30, girl of my dreams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
First, I think the Alberg 30 is a wonderful boat and great value for money. If I were cruising with another person and living ashore, it would probably be my choice. But, as a liveaboard (Tayana 37), I have to tell you that for a couple, this is absolutely the minimum you will need to have even a modicum of comfort. I'm being really generous there - actually, it's just too small, IMHO.

If you decide to go ahead, you will need to agree to keep an absolute minimum of personal possessions aboard and be rigorously disciplined in what you bring aboard. Make no mistake - living aboard (I've done it for 5 years now) is not much different than living in a van down by the river - except the van might be roomier.

So, just be aware that you will be living in the nautical equivalent of a pup tent. It won't be easy.
Live aboard a newport 27 with my wife. Just the right size! Only you can determine if it is too small for your needs. to each his/her own! Good luck!
elliebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:12   #42

I find a modern boat about 30-32 feet has everything a couple needs.... except speed. If you go to 40+ feet then you get two of everything a couple needs... well not quite, no extra galley! If you are working and living aboard, then it's different really, you need more storage etc. If you are going to have a lot of guests then you need bigger too. It's all about compromises. Room around the engine, davits etc... you get these with a bigger boat.

Tags
alberg, alberg 30