Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 01:02   #1

Finnsailer 34, Sailing Performance?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at buing my first sailboat to sail, single-handed, in the south pacific (I'm in Tahiti now). There is a Finnsailer 34 1980 in good shape for sale, but I do not know her sailing performance.

Does anyone have an experience with this boat?

Any advise would be appreciate

Cheers,

Yves
Yves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 19:12   #2

Re: Finnsailer 34, Sailing Performance?

here is a link with the original manual.
juhku.pp.fi/Finnsailer34_manual.pdf

Cheers
Old 05-06-2012, 07:18   #3

what's it rate? For relative sailing performance you could look at Yardstick rating of Finnsailer 34 here, http://kreuzer-abteilung.org/Public_PDF/5406.PDF and find rating of 108 which indicates relatively modest performance. OTOH probably a strong boat built to Lloyds certificate etc.
stara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:02   #4

Thanks Stara, this is a very useful document.
Old 05-06-2012, 16:34   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

They sail OK. Neither a racer nor a pig. The rudder is a bit exposed - beware of coral heads. Been on one that sported a very nice hard dodger - BIG plus.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 21:25   #6

Thanks barnakiel, can you tell me also how the finnsailer perform in close reach? unfortunately the finnsailer i'm looking at does not have a dogger.

Yves
Old 06-06-2012, 06:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves View Post
Thanks barnakiel, can you tell me also how the finnsailer perform in close reach? unfortunately the finnsailer i'm looking at does not have a dogger.

Yves
I am not sure what you mean by close reach. That is to say: how close?

Some Finnsailers had a mizzen sail there. If this one has a mizzen then she will NOT exceed at beating nor at running. Running it can be addressed, but beating you will have to sail a couple of degrees off. For example (only) if a sloop sails 45 degrees off the wind in flat water, then the ketch/yawl will sail at (say) 50. Speed at 50 degrees will be about the same for both rigs.

Otherwise, both sloop and ketch (or yawl) are just about regular - they are swifter than typical heavy long keel cruising boats (they will sail better in light winds), they are slower than many newer designs that tend to have finer foils. But finer foils may be also more exposed to damage. So this is a balance.

Why is performance so important for you? If you are into single handing then performance is probably not at the top of the list. If you are into racing, there are better boats around.

Why is close reaching important? A lot of cruising is done downwind, the rest is mostly beating.

BTW Re. close hauled sailing - this boat will sail relatively comfortably on close reach. They are relatively dry and do not slam.

Hugs,
barnakiel
Old 06-06-2012, 10:26   #8

I'm concern about the sailing performance not because I want to race with it but because I read that the finnsailer is more like a motor boat with sail than a true sailboat and this bother me.

I'm asking about close reach because, from french polynesia I want to go to new zeland and may be go back to fidji after the cyclone season. and I will probably need to go up wind. But your right I should also ask about the performence up wind.

I'm also looking at another boat, a Jeanneau melody 34. I read that this is a good and solid boat, but it is 25% more expensive than the finnsailer and above my budget. Do you know this boat barnakiel?

You raise a good point about single handing. Which want will be better and how the Finnsailer can be modify for single handing?

Cheers,

Yves
Old 06-06-2012, 10:40   #9

I forgot to precise that the finnsailer I'm looking at does not have a mizzen.
Old 06-06-2012, 15:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves View Post

(...)

1) I read that the finnsailer is more like a motor boat with sail than a true sailboat

2) From french polynesia I want to go to new zeland and may be go back to fidji after the cyclone season. and I will probably need to go up wind.

3) Jeanneau melody 34.

4) You raise a good point about single handing. Which want will be better and how the Finnsailer can be modify for single handing?

Cheers,

Yves
Yves,

1) Then you must look at other Finnsailers. If you are indeed after the 34 model then they are fine boats, well built and they sail fine. BUT there are other Finnsailers (29, 35) that are motor-sailors: COMPLETELY different kind of fish. Do google some and get an idea of what we are talking about now.

This is THE one I am talking about when I say they perform OK:
http://www.boatshop24.com/images/boo...5/1892566f.jpg
http://newimages.yachtworld.com/2/2/...?1273662156000

2) We have sailed French Polynesia to NZ to New Caledonia. There was not much upwind work there. It may be different in a different season though. In any case, when you have a choice, chose a boat that goes upwind well as one day you may need this.

3) I cannot say anything good about Jeannea vis-a-vis the Finnsailer. I have sailed some Jeanneaus. They are different built quality. If I were to buy a boat for myself, it would consider the Finnsailer before a Jeanneau. However, without seeing the actual boats in question one cannot say anything about their maintenance, equipment and other factors that can bear strongly on one's decisions.

4) Nearly any boat can be set up for single handling. If you know what you want, if you have time and funds then there are very few limitations. Remember FP is not the cheapest place around and so, unless you are well off, you may be tempted to do plenty of the work yourself, and this requires skills and know-how.

BTW If you want to sail FP to NZ and then out, go for quality and seaworthiness. The patch of water from the islands to NZ and back can be very rough. Even when sailing from BB Westwards some boats get pasted in a pretty spectacular way.

Bear in mind that converting a boat to single-handing may add extra cost on top of the regular haulout and preparation costs. Going solo you will want a windvane, an autopilot, some extra electronics, and sail/rig layout that will place minimum stress on you. This is all cost. Budget well before you jump.

Cheers,
b.

Tags
sailing