Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 18:32   #31

Re: 50' Herreshoff Ketch 1978

thank you Bob and Connie.
katrina47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 21:58   #32

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

We ended up buying this boat. We are looking to get in touch with other owners or find out more about the boat. I've sent some PMs but haven't had much luck, but I did contact the owner of the one for sale up in Napa, nice guy.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:55   #33

I would be glad to help you with any information you need to know. I think you bought the boat from me. Located in Long Beach, if so, I would love to hear if you took her out for a sail yet. I know if I look into my husband's computer he had contacted at least six people and talked to them about the boat.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:12   #34

I tried sending you a PM but it's not allowed here until you meet some kind of criteria. I found an email on some paperwork, an earthlink one, I tried sending to that. If you get it reply.

We're going to setup a blog and will let you know when we get it online.

We took her out for Midwinters Regatta to take some pictures of the boats and had her going pretty good. All race/cruise crew so every sail was trimmed, and I was "Chairman of the Board", raising and lowering it as required. When she gets going that centerboard starts to vibrate and makes her feel like a freight train.

Got one of the toilets in the backyard to work on. Sailing is preferable!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:58   #35

Are you sure the sound isn't from the propeller...I don't remember it ever vibrating.
The toilets shouldn't have needed attention. The forward one has all new parts. The other one may have had air in the line. I hope it wasn't anything serious. Sailing is much more preferable.

Please keep in touch...that was the correct email
Old 04-03-2013, 20:56   #36

Nothing serious... we are very happy with the boat.
Old 18-05-2013, 22:26   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
We ended up buying this boat. We are looking to get in touch with other owners or find out more about the boat. I've sent some PMs but haven't had much luck, but I did contact the owner of the one for sale up in Napa, nice guy.
I have one PM me if you need any info
All the 14 Herreshoff Carribean 50's were built by David Cheng over an 6 year period.
I know of 2 around SE Asia mine and one in Singapore
Old 18-05-2013, 22:29   #38
Marine Service Provider

[QUOTE=autumnbreeze27;1175741]I tried sending you a PM but it's not allowed here until you meet some kind of criteria. I found an email on some paperwork, an earthlink one, I tried sending to that. If you get it reply.

We're going to setup a blog and will let you know when we get it online.

We took her out for Midwinters Regatta to take some pictures of the boats and had her going pretty good. All race/cruise crew so every sail was trimmed, and I was "Chairman of the Board", raising and lowering it as required. When she gets going that centerboard starts to vibrate and makes her feel like a freight train.
You need to change the brass pin that hold it on !! They corrode and wear. Just put a stainless one in mine.
Old 20-05-2013, 06:00   #39

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Emmalina, are you talking about the centerboard pin? It is not likely it would have been brass, which is never used by boatbuilders for such an application, it was probably a bronze alloy which would be a better choice than stainless.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 07:53   #40

Would that keep it from banging around if you put the board down when on the hook? We were in a rolly anchorage about a month ago and we put the board down to help stabilize the boat, but could hear the centerboard going BOOM......BOOM... so raised it back up.
Old 21-05-2013, 22:54   #41
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Emmalina, are you talking about the centerboard pin? It is not likely it would have been brass, which is never used by boatbuilders for such an application, it was probably a bronze alloy which would be a better choice than stainless.

Steve.
Indeed I do mean bronze my mistake.
Unfortunately last haul out bronze is not readilly available where we are so i changed the pin from a bent and worn 1" bronze(alloy) to 1.5" SS Not a big job and SS is easy to find in these parts and infinitely cheaper than bronze so i intend to change it every few years.
Old 22-05-2013, 05:26   #42

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Steve, I know what you mean about the availability of bronze, going up in size was a good idea, more surface area is always good in a pivot pin and as long as you check it regularly and replace as necessary as you say, SS will be fine. I have replaced pins on Gemini catamarans which used 1/2" ss bolts, presumably type 316 where they are completely wasted away such that when you just screw the head right off. Most people are replacing them with silicone bronze bolts which seems to hold up fine.
Those L Francais boats are stunning to look at, which of his designs are these ones? A company in Whangarei, NZ use to build the 46' Mobjack and I think 58' Tioga in fiberglass.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 07:07   #43

These were designed by Halsey Herreshoff, we've been collecting as much info as we can on the boats. Here's a link to what we have so far.
Our Sailing Dream...: Boat Design
Old 22-05-2013, 18:00   #44
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Steve, I know what you mean about the availability of bronze, going up in size was a good idea, more surface area is always good in a pivot pin and as long as you check it regularly and replace as necessary as you say, SS will be fine. I have replaced pins on Gemini catamarans which used 1/2" ss bolts, presumably type 316 where they are completely wasted away such that when you just screw the head right off. Most people are replacing them with silicone bronze bolts which seems to hold up fine.
Those L Francais boats are stunning to look at, which of his designs are these ones? A company in Whangarei, NZ use to build the 46' Mobjack and I think 58' Tioga in fiberglass.

Steve.
If they are submerged all the time 304 is a better bet than 316 (bit harder) but all stainless needs oxygen to remain stainless LOL
Old 08-02-2014, 21:33   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
Saw the listing for the boat up in Napa and it has caught our eye. We doing some research and found this apropo discussion. We were wondering which boat you bought and why you did not choose the Napa boat?
Collabrish is offline   Reply With Quote