Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 10:32   #46

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Re: 50' Herreshoff Ketch 1978

We never looked at the napa boat, but have talked with the owner. We found ours in our marina. Our boat gets compliments everywhere we take her and she's fast if you know how to handle her. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 23:48   #47

Thank you for the reply! Is the boat you purchased the same model as the Napa boat then? If that is the case I would love to hear your review of how she handels? Can she be sailed by one person with ease? If you live aboard how many people? How does the space feel and what do you like best about it? How is the natural light and the window placements in your opinion?

Our family is 3 total, my husband, myself and our 5 year old. My husband works from a computer and can work anywhere there is internet. I am a freelance interior architecture designer and landscpe designer finishing up my MFA thesis. It is my dream to work with clients on projects all over the world...I am so lucky my family is willing and excited to make a go at that kind of reality! The best part is living on a boat was my husbands idea as he grew up sailing. Nothing as large as the 50 mostly 30 and under so what you are willing to share will be of great interest to him.
Collabrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:07   #48
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwcass View Post
At it turns out, Caribbean 50' Center Cockpit Ketch was designed by Halsey Herreshoff, the grandson of L. Francis and built by David Cheng in Hong Kong in 1978.

Anyone ever sail on one?

Thanks for all the feedback.

R
Halsey is the son of L Francis and grandson of Capt. Nat.
xsboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:04   #49

I haven't had much time to work on the blog, as we've been working on refitting the boat and selling the house to go cruise, but if you want to see some pics and info check it out at sailingfree.net. If you click on OUR BOAT and then Boat Design and Sister ships you will find some good reading there, also check out the original flyer.

I've been trying to collect all the info I can on the boats and post it there as well as a resource for other owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collabrish View Post
Is the boat you purchased the same model as the Napa boat then?
Supposedly there were ~10 of these built. I've talked to the owners of Faith (Napa), and Emmalina Haa (in Thailand). There's the boat in france for sale, so for I've found 4 boats. They are a custom boat, not a production boat, so they may defer slightly as far as how they are rigged and finished.

Quote:
If that is the case I would love to hear your review of how she handels?
She's fast. Docking takes some getting used to, but it's getting easier. We only raced our boat once last year in a charity regatta for cruisers and took first place. We raced against some boats that should have smoked us but were frustrated that they were getting spanked by a big heavy cruiser.

Quote:
Can she be sailed by one person with ease?
With ease? That depends on the persons level of experience. I wouldn't want to be solo if something hit the fan, but I could easily sail it single handed under decent weather conditions.

Quote:
If you live aboard how many people?
We are moving aboard, two adults and a large dog. I would say if you just want to live on a boat in a marina, there are better choices. Boats that back easier, have bow thrusters, are designed to take up the whole slip size, etc. This boat is designed to go places!

Quote:
How does the space feel and what do you like best about it?
Tons of storage space in the bilge. The cockpit is huge, we've had parties with 12 people sitting in the cockpit alone. Our boat has a bunch of hand carved teak trim which we love, a huge aft cabin with king size+ bed, a real engine room (we moved up from a catalina 34). The boat, being a 78, has thick well done fiberglass and almost all the wood is teak (it was built when teak was cheap and plentiful)

Quote:
How is the natural light and the window placements in your opinion?
Natural light is very good in our boat. There's a hallway that runs fore and aft connecting the aft cabin to the rest of the boat, you can to stoop to go through (gripe #1) and the light is bad unless you open the hatch (that lets you stand up)

I haven't seen the napa boat in person, but I've talked to the owner and it needs some TLC. If that doesn't scare you off, then I'd highly recommend it.

Silly things that we like about our boat:
When you tell people it's a Herreshoff, if they are a sailor you get oooh's and ahhhh's
When you pull into a harbor people stare, tourists wondering if it's some famous person, and sailors admiring her lines.
If you spend any time in yacht clubs, you'll notice a lot of the race trophy half hulls are Herreshoff family designs.

Anyhow, will try and get some more updates to the blog from last year so I can start this year blogging current!
Old 11-02-2014, 15:47   #50

Wonderful review, I will definatly watch your blog! We did speak to the owner and are aware that she needs some TLC...I am a handy person, as is my hubby. What I do rely on are "those that have gone before me" so to speak...so knowing that the community of owners for this particular boat is small, I really, really, REALLY appreciate your time and consideration. At this point we would need to see the boat and make the to do list so the boat has real numbers to it. That is where the advice from those with the same boat are priceless. It seems like we will be doing all new sails and new upper decks and a few other items at the least. When debating what would be best, I am a total collaborator, and love to hear the seasoned perspectives of others before making a decision.

That being said if you ever need interior design advice or advice on flipping a house for profit, I am your girl. It is funny but sometimes the simplest little things can make a house sell that much quicker. I have been working in Bend, Oregon as a designer for the last 12ish years and flipped many houses. You can find me at my "username".com. My assistance would be free as a thank you for the help you have given us. I think I will take my hubby to Knapp for his birthday to see if this is "the boat".
Old 11-02-2014, 16:24   #51

Thanks for the offer, will check out your website.

Ours came with the decks already done, but after talking with locals he did the job himself. The only thing I may have done differently was left teak in the cockpit on the seats.

Here's a boring video of me motoring and testing the key fob auto pilot remote.
Old 13-02-2014, 08:41   #52

Actually this "boring" video is raw adreniline pumping entertainment for my hubby! He is such a gadget guy. He gets giddy over anything that can be controlled by a remote, or better yet an i-phone or pad! Probably why he works for apple...lol!
Old 06-02-2022, 07:48   #53

here is a Caribbean on the hard for 8=10 years in Napa. It doesn't have the centerboard and is in TERRIBLE shape. Basically in a boat graveyard dying a horrible death. Does anyone know where I can obtain blueprints for the centerboard and ballast? It is leaking rain water around the pin for the centerboard and depositing an unknown substance forming stalactites on the bottom of the keel and mounds under it. THANKS!
SD Boatbuildere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 16:12   #54

Did you try and contact the Herreshoff Museum in Bristol RI? Maybe they have plans?

Send me an email re the centerboard.
NegativeSteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 17:10   #55

Yes I called the museum to see if they had any plans in their archives. They sent me Mr. Herreshoff's e-mail address so I E-mailed him about it and as of now have not received a reply. I don't think the boat is worth rebuilding as the owner wants too much for it and I would be way ahead of the game to just purchase one on the market in pristine condition for $118,000
SD Boatbuildere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 04:25   #56

Hi there
Don’t know your location but you might want to have a look at Cherubini 44
Sailor CH44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 13:35   #57

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor CH44 View Post
Hi there
Don’t know your location but you might want to have a look at Cherubini 44
Be still my heart.
A boat for the "carriage trade" in the tradition of L. Francis, right up there with Hinckley.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 16:40   #58

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Carribean Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Boatbuildere View Post
here is a Caribbean on the hard for 8=10 years in Napa. It doesn't have the centerboard and is in TERRIBLE shape. Basically in a boat graveyard dying a horrible death. Does anyone know where I can obtain blueprints for the centerboard and ballast? It is leaking rain water around the pin for the centerboard and depositing an unknown substance forming stalactites on the bottom of the keel and mounds under it. THANKS!

I am also considering SV Faith in NAPA, I live in WA state and dont have a quick or convenient way to see her. Sounds like you actually visited the boat and got a first hand look, are you still considering to make an offer? The broker claims it will take nearly 100k to refit her but thats hard to accept, seems like these sort of claims are always exaggerated (unless its a wood hull). Do you think shes salvageable with 6 months of labor and 30k to get her outside the Golden Gate? I can rebuild the engine and the rudder and probably the centerboard. Also, sitting on the hard since 09 its hard to estimate how the UV has damaged her deck and cockpit. What is your gut instinct? The broker has a bad attitude toward the boat and is tired of talking about her.
Borealis B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:05   #59

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Carribean Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Boatbuildere View Post
I think the white deposit is efflorescence (calceous minerals)from water leaching out of concrete. If the ballast is encased in, or made up of concrete and encased in FRP then a crack in the FRP would allow sea water in and out. Since you noticed it around the the pin then possible the pin failed and thats why the centerboard was removed. Owner may have considered it not worth the repair. it takes many years of slow evaporation for this much efflorescence to build up.
Borealis B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:49   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Removing the very porous cockpit teak from ours
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old teak remove.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	431.8 KB
ID:	254214   Click image for larger version