Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2012, 14:29   #1

Boat: Hunter 38
Thumbs up 3JH4E - Hunter 38 - Racor Filter #?

Hi

Would anybody happen to know the part number for the Racor fuel filter I want to pick one up prior to a trip and the boat is 5 hrs away. For that matter - any cross references for the Yanmar fuel filter? Would like to 1-stop shop ...

Thanks,

Ed
Ed_Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 17:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: 3JH4E - Hunter 38 - Racor Filter #?

Is this actually a 4JH3E? I didn't think there was a 3JH4E. I use the Racor 500 series blue 10 micron filters, but the Racors are separate from the Yanmar engine and depend on your installation. The fuel filter for my Yanmar 4JH3E the the NAPA 3390 or equivalent.
Old 17-02-2012, 18:05   #3

Thanks Captain, appsarently both engins take the same filter
YAN129470-55703 for secondary ... so I will thy the Napa 3390 - so this is great info!!

I was also looking for the Racor filter .... I imagine this is installation specific ...

Old 17-02-2012, 18:48   #4

Just in case a picture will help with confirmation......
this company just happened to show one vs other dealers who also list
filter but did not have photo - note the part number has changed over time - 03 is shown & listed as correct for your engine vs 02 which is superseded
129470-55703 Yanmar Fuel Filter

Just found this more complete part catalog - see pg 27 for your 3JH4E Racor/Yanmar question
http://www.mackboring.com/CMFiles/Do...iesCatalog.pdf

3JH4E Part Listing
YANMAR |

Two Suggestions from Yanmar training Instructor
1) Buy parts manual for your specific engine - might be avail as .pdf
2) ONLY use Yanmar parts

Don't shoot the messenger
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 00:23   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Yanmar filters are not that much more to risk the problems with mismatch or bypass valves. Save your money elsewhere. Heck the waitress tip at the local restaurant is probably more then a filter.

BTW a lot of the perishable parts in the 3JH4E parts list already have updated part numbers now. The original # was 129470-55701. Torresen says it's now 129470-55702-12 >>> FUEL FILTER / STRAINER ASSEMBLY / ELEMENT 4 JHDTE,4JH2E (-TE,HTE,DTE) Yanmar 129470-55702 Sailboat Supplies, Engine Parts and Boat Parts
Old 18-02-2012, 06:28   #6

Thanks all,

Initial post was for the RACOR primary ... the Yanmar was a secondary (no pun) request - anybody know what Racor body Hunter used in these boats?

Thanks,

Ed
Old 18-02-2012, 06:41   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

'just a cautionary reference back to my post #2. I was not aware that Yanmar produced both a 3JH4E and a 4JH3E! I thought this was just an error in identifying the engine. My part reference is only for the 4JH3E and I'm not familiar with the 3JH4E!
Old 18-02-2012, 07:38   #8

Boat: Hunter 49 - FELA
Most hunters have a racor 215 filter and I use the 30 mic cartridge on my boat but there others that use 10 or even 2 mic.

Racor cartridges
R20P - 30 mic
R20S - 10 mic
R20T - 2 mic

YMMV
Old 18-02-2012, 10:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Sail View Post
Thanks all,

Initial post was for the RACOR primary ... the Yanmar was a secondary (no pun) request - anybody know what Racor body Hunter used in these boats?

Thanks,

Ed
My (and many) Yanmar engines have a Racor Primary (made by Racor with a Yanmar label) filter / Water Separator before the Yanmar secondary filter.

The link I shared has a picture of that Racor(Yanmar) filter for your engine unless someone changed out to a OEM Racor which you should be able to find via Google search.

Here's the link that has the picture and part #s
- see pg 27 for your 3JH4E Racor/Yanmar question
http://www.mackboring.com/CMFiles/Do...iesCatalog.pdf

Disclosure - no connection with distributor except as customer and also have used one of their dealers too in the past
Old 18-02-2012, 15:04   #10

Just to butt in here a bit.

Does anyone have a documented micron rating for the 129470-55703 filter?
I've been searching the web for an hour and cannot find it anywhere.
Old 18-02-2012, 16:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Just to butt in here a bit.

Does anyone have a documented micron rating for the 129470-55703 filter?
I've been searching the web for an hour and cannot find it anywhere.
My notes say Yanmar has 10 mic at secondary (engine mounted - spin on) filter for my 4JH4AE engine and many others.
BTW - cautions(from Yanmar) about using less than 10 mic that it could cause fuel starvation - their idea is not to use filters as default for proper Fuel Purchasing, Handling
and Storage.

Unfortunately, I could not find spec details on part sites either - just listed part #and engine(s) where the part fits....

Here's a similar thread else where that confirms 10-15mic on a Yanmar engine scroll down to red (several) comments
SailboatOwners.com - Yanmar filter micron size?
Old 18-02-2012, 19:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuteman View Post
My notes say Yanmar has 10 mic at secondary (engine mounted - spin on) filter for my 4JH4AE engine and many others.
BTW - cautions(from Yanmar) about using less than 10 mic that it could cause fuel starvation - their idea is not to use filters as default for proper Fuel Purchasing, Handling
and Storage.

Unfortunately, I could not find spec details on part sites either - just listed part #and engine(s) where the part fits....

Here's a similar thread else where that confirms 10-15mic on a Yanmar engine scroll down to red (several) comments
SailboatOwners.com - Yanmar filter micron size?
Thanks!
I've emailed Yanmar for a confirmation. If it is 10-15 µm I'll be doing a modification on my 3JH.
I use to work in Fleets & Facilities for the City government, which did a lot of governm't R&R. I did the maintenance on the fuel sites and worked with the mechanics with a lot of the fuel problems. By the time I was out of there they wouldn't run anything larger then 5 µm filters on the trucks and other diesel equipment. At the fuel sites I would change out a 30 µm filter if it's flow rate got below a certain amount. And the smaller diesel equipment (mowers, generators, small tractors) they went down to 3 µm.

In the shop you could see the sticky injectors that were laying around from the old days. If you could get them apart, you could see the scoring between the surfaces. An injector for a large Cat or Cummings wasn't cheap so they were willing to buy the filters by the truck load.

Back pressure gauges are very important. I relied on them heavily on the trucks.
If there is worry about rupturing a diaphragm in the lift pump then a back pressure gauge would be a must.

It's those fine particulates that wear out the hardened parts of a hi-pressure system.
Old 21-02-2012, 09:09   #13

I just got an email back from Yanmar and they said the 129470-55703 fuel filter is 5µm, which is the finest filter available by Yanmar.

That's great! I don't need to do any retrofits just use the yanmar filter as the secondary.

Tags
hunter, racor