Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 23-06-2011, 07:06   #1

$1,500,000 to Spend . . .

I’m outta here in three years….
We want to spend the first 10 years cruising the world. At first we were looking at Trawlers, Fleming and Nordhavn 55’s, and we’re going to ship then across instead of cross ourselves. Now, we both are leaning towards sail, which I’m very happy with.
I need some direction not knowing too much about what’s available now. We plan on attending all the shows starting with Newport this September. We’ll be chartering starting next summer and ordering the summer after that, if we decide on a new boat. I have no problem with the initial drop in price of a new boat IF we decide to go that way.
I’m sure we’ll have our kid’s and friends visiting us for some of the times so I’m leaning towards a larger boat. Also I’ll be able to put enough aside to generate 15% of boat cost in income for the duration.

Now, experience….
I have never owned a boat!
BUT, (I know this sounds funny) I surfed for 20 years, 6 professionally.
I KNOW MOTHER OCEAN!!!!
I have sailed all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean, actually crewing on a 100 foot sloop for a while and am at home in the water….
I have completed Chapman’s’ advanced courses both in seamanship and engines. We will take the first year in the Caribbean before making the journey so I’m confident we’ll make the right decision at the time.
Would like a little direction on well built, blue water sailboat manufactures….
Sorry for being so long winded…
Thanks

Mark
RetSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 07:22   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: 1.5 Mil. To spend….

Mark hi and welcome to CF. Can't answer your question but sounds like lessons, chartering and trips around the boat shows are the way to go.

Likely you will change your ideas along the way but that is human nature.

A nice big catamaran would be my choice.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 07:31   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

The yard / K&M Yachtbuilders

The Besteaver 55ST is your boat.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 07:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Mark hi and welcome to CF. Can't answer your question but sounds like lessons, chartering and trips around the boat shows are the way to go.

Likely you will change your ideas along the way but that is human nature.

A nice big catamaran would be my choice.

Pete
Thank You for the quick response….
Again, this is going to seem funny, but when I surfed I had an eye for the “lines” on the boards I rode. Hard edge vs. rounded edge rode differently. I just like the lines on certain Monohull’s… they just “feel right “if you get my meaning. It’s one reason I zeroed in on the Fleming and Nordhavn for Trawlers (Fleming being not a real Trawler).
I used to race Hobie cats in my youth and took people out in a larger cat in Aruba on sunset cruses when I worked there in the 70’s.
Thanks Again
Mark
RetSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 07:37   #5

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 07:49   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Hi,

I like Pete7's advice to go and do the boat shows.

I would scrap any idea of 'lines' that you think you like. Consider this: You are not an architect so designing a bridge to have the lines you like may make it fall down.
So trash the thoughts as they are affectations.

I like sailing monohulls and there are some good ones in that price range: Oyster's, Halberg Rassy, Passport, to name a few.

They have a great availability on the second hand market and, obviously also build new.

Heading to the boat shows will help you immensely.

unfortunately our little forum here gets very personal with boat types. Everyone wants to tell you his ideas are the only ones to sail in. However its a personal choice. You need to do your own research to come up with those choices.... remembering to keep an open mind and have good quality perameters. By 'good quality' I mean real parameters that are going to increase your lifestyle and sailing enjoyment.

Lastly: Your kids will not go visit you as often as you think. they may come once if you are lucky. And then not all together. Your friends won't come at all. Maybe one couple will, per year.
So with that in mind make your boat for you and your wife not for kids who should be at work, nor friends who wont appreciate it anyway. Cruising is about you

It may seem very difficult to get up the knowledge to make good choices... but its an exciting time. Have fun with it

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 08:02   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

Mark,
I wanted to give you a one-word opinion / answer:
Hinckley.....

But, then I see that you've never owned a boat before, and thought I better explain a bit......

Even though I now own/sail a Catalina 470, I grew up sailing/voyaging on a Hinckley.....(and have worked on some others as well)
And, I can atest to wonderful their design, construction, quality, etc.....which I doubt anyone would agrue with.....(although some will argue that they're not worth the $$$....that's like saying a Picaso isn't worth the $$$....maybe not, but it's all relative...)

Sailing a Hinckley SW-52 offshore is like driving a Ferrari on a empty mountain road.....and gunkholing on one thru the islands is like taking a drive in a sweet Bentley on a quiet Sunday afternoon, in the country....
In my opinion, a Hinckley is moe than a yacht, it is also a piece of art....
(and some have even appreciated over the years...)

So, if you've got a spare $1.5 - $2 million, give Phil Bennett a call at Hinckley in Southwest Harbor, Maine......tell 'em you want a new SW-52, and begin to enjoy life.....
(now, if you're like me, and found out I'd never have a spare few million laying around....there are many other ideas/opinions!!! Remember, I sail a Catalina...)

BTW, you may end up needing more $$$ for maintenance that you think.....a new $1.5million yacht (even if not a Hinckley) is going to need a thick wallet to keep in good condition.....

Good luck and Fair winds....

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 08:07   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Get as much experience on a large variety of boats in your price range as is possible. Even postpone the purchase if necessary in order to do this. You will be a much wiser purchaser.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 08:10   #9

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

This is the one you want... Photo Gallery - catamaran voile - Privilge 615 par Alliaura Marine Privilege 615. Might be a bit over your budget though as the Dollar is so weak against the Euro right now.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 08:12   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Used boat are a real bargain right now. You don't have to buy an older boat to get this bargain either. Chances are good that older will also mean sitting around in a boat yard for months replacing, repairing and upgrading.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 08:52   #11

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Mark,
I wanted to give you a one-word opinion / answer:
Hinckley.....

But, then I see that you've never owned a boat before, and thought I better explain a bit......

Even though I now own/sail a Catalina 470, I grew up sailing/voyaging on a Hinckley.....(and have worked on some others as well)
And, I can atest to wonderful their design, construction, quality, etc.....which I doubt anyone would agrue with.....(although some will argue that they're not worth the $$$....that's like saying a Picaso isn't worth the $$$....maybe not, but it's all relative...)

Sailing a Hinckley SW-52 offshore is like driving a Ferrari on a empty mountain road.....and gunkholing on one thru the islands is like taking a drive in a sweet Bentley on a quiet Sunday afternoon, in the country....
In my opinion, a Hinckley is moe than a yacht, it is also a piece of art....
(and some have even appreciated over the years...)

So, if you've got a spare $1.5 - $2 million, give Phil Bennett a call at Hinckley in Southwest Harbor, Maine......tell 'em you want a new SW-52, and begin to enjoy life.....
(now, if you're like me, and found out I'd never have a spare few million laying around....there are many other ideas/opinions!!! Remember, I sail a Catalina...)

BTW, you may end up needing more $$$ for maintenance that you think.....a new $1.5million yacht (even if not a Hinckley) is going to need a thick wallet to keep in good condition.....

Good luck and Fair winds....

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Substitute the word "Alden" for "Hinkley" and I would agree
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 09:06   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

welcome--sail EVERYTHING then make up yer own mined..LOl have fun and smoooth sailing
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 09:13   #13

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Anatres44i

(you asked......)
Old 23-06-2011, 09:14   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I would scrap any idea of 'lines' that you think you like. Consider this: You are not an architect so designing a bridge to have the lines you like may make it fall down.
So trash the thoughts as they are affectations.
One the other hand, "lines" might just be the most important factor to consider.

Yes, you want a sound vessel that performs well and meets your needs. Don't try to design it yourself; get competent advice and continue with your research. With your budget, you might even consider paying someone like Bob Perry to advise you.

Now, about the lines: I hope you can find a boat that you connect with on an emotional, aesthetic, spiritual level. The boat should be one that calls to you. To be sure, we all develop strong feelings for our boats, even if the boat has 5000 identical twins sailing around -- I'm not saying your boat has to be unique or "different". But sailing, if done right, is an emotional voyage as well as a physical one. You should make a connection with your boat and the lines can be a big factor.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 09:44   #15

Boat: Beneteau 36.7

Every few weeks I do a bit of research on a new brand in the hope that one day I'll have a bit more money to throw into it. At the moment I've been reading about Southerly's with the shallow draft a big incentive - great for exploring places other large monohulls can't go.

Perhaps this would suit you: Southerly 49

When you've bought it, or whatever you end up with, you can write a review here for the those of us still waiting for the piggy bank to come good to live vicariously!