Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 23-06-2011, 12:39   #31

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Re: 1.5 Mil. To spend….

I've got a 58 Taswell for sale - originally 1.4m, now offered at 825k. InteryachtIt is a great live aboard as we have done for the last 7 years averaging over 5000 miles each years. It motors easily a 8+ knots on 2 gallons/hr, sails a 10+ off the wind. This boat is designed to be fast and comfortable and is easily sailed by one person. This is the last 58 built by Ta Ching, the company that makes all the Norhavn trawlers. Because of health limitations, we have moved back ashore and are anious to sell. I have been sailing for over 35 years and this is by far the best boat for ocean traveling I've ever sailed on.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 12:53   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottygurl View Post
load up yoursuv and do a road trip, visit some marinas and look at boats, start a list of what gets you excited, meet the owners, sit with them, ask if they wouls allow you to join them one afternoon sail. Find out who here has given advice and seek them out to see there boat and have them take you out to see what you like.
You really need to figure out what fits you, all the advice wont meen squat if you do not like the boat there describing.
you really need to be sitting in and trials to help you and wife decide. interior and sleeping accomadation WILL matter more then speed if it is going to be your home for 10 years, losing a knot or 2 for the sake of having an extra state room or a really nice laid out gally and saloon, the added comfort when not moving which you will be more then crusing would in my opionin be the deal maker, also what electronics, water maker, inboard, showers, heads. this mmakes it home
This is what we did when we looked at Trawlers. Thats how we focused in on the Fleming and Nordhavn..
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
To clarify, my suggestion that you might consult with Bob Perry wasn't limited to a new boat design. Bob has advised many people on their selection of an already-built boat. I happen to think that it would be a mistake to commission a new design for your first big boat.
I will definitly check him out. We are still 3 years away from pulling a trigger
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gongal View Post
First listen to those on this board that have done it.
Thats the reason for my post to get reponses like I'm getting in time to do something about it.
Thank You Everyone....
Mark
RetSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 13:12   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I agree with Paul on hiring a professional. I would consider hiring one or two designers to give you some advice.

Ted Brewer is very pragmatic and knowledgeable and straight forward. He charged us $300. Money well spent.

Last I heard from Beth Leonard she was considering staying ashore for a couple of years and doing some financial consulting for retiring cruisers. She and Evans are surely qualified to give advice. Evans just finished a job consulting on a large 'adventure' boat. They might be in Newfoundland for the summer though.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 13:22   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Of course, most people don't get professional advice and do just fine. On my own, I chose VALIS as our first large boat and am quite happy. But professional advice can be very valuable, and can possibly save you some trouble.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 13:22   #35

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew23 View Post
if I were you, I'd spend $250k on a gorgeous used sailboat and the rest of your life cruising cheaply.

if you find yourself saving money, pay the airfare to fly your friends/family to wherever you are.

Great idea.

Could I be one of the friends?

Please?
Old 23-06-2011, 13:24   #36

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
No. Not really.
I never see the lines of my boat when I am aboard her. Nor does anyone when on their own boat. We even more rarely see the lines of our boat when sailing.

So the lines are just wank.

Livability and sailing ability is more importnat than the self-indulgent thought of how other people are looking at our boat - because they are the only ones who can.

Anyway, lines mean little. Otherwise there would have been a million 400 post threads here on CF. (and no catamarans would ever be sold!)

Thus my thoughts to go what is really important.

Righto.

I always wondered why people put those LED lights under thier cars too.
Old 23-06-2011, 13:52   #37

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The best advice I can give you is to get some sea time before you decide on the boat. I would suggest Mahina Expeditions conducts sailing and navigation training and expeditions in the South Pacific and offers offshore sailing seminars or something like it as the best way to learn how to sail/cruise and decide whether it is really the lifestyle you both want.

I would also suggest that you and the better half go separately. She needs to develop the confidence that she can handle the boat if something happens to you, and if you take instruction together, she will probably defer to you instead of doing and learning on her own.

After that, charter or crew on the boats you think you might want. There is a wide spectrum of boats you can afford, from floating logs (sturdy and safe), to high performance catamarans and ultralights (think of the thrill of surfing down wave after wave in the open ocean). Only you can decide what you want, but its best to get your own experience rather than listen to the people on this forum.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 14:40   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The best advice I can give you is to get some sea time before you decide on the boat. I would suggest Mahina Expeditions conducts sailing and navigation training and expeditions in the South Pacific and offers offshore sailing seminars or something like it as the best way to learn how to sail/cruise and decide whether it is really the lifestyle you both want.

I would also suggest that you and the better half go separately. She needs to develop the confidence that she can handle the boat if something happens to you, and if you take instruction together, she will probably defer to you instead of doing and learning on her own.

After that, charter or crew on the boats you think you might want. There is a wide spectrum of boats you can afford, from floating logs (sturdy and safe), to high performance catamarans and ultralights (think of the thrill of surfing down wave after wave in the open ocean). Only you can decide what you want, but its best to get your own experience rather than listen to the people on this forum.
I’m using (sorry if I offend anyone) this post to get a jump start on what caliper boat to zero in on, that’s it. I KNOW what we need to do between now and 3 years from now. I just don’t know what’s out there like I do in the Trawler realm.
BTW, I do like your idea about separate learning centers….
Mark
Old 23-06-2011, 16:14   #39
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetSurfer View Post
I just don’t know what’s out there like I do in the Trawler realm.
Mark,

I don't know if you really need our help. In fact you could well instruct us: "I do feel that I have an “eye” for what allows a boat to ride on or plow though swells… ".

Theres plenty of magazines in the rack. Just flick through and have a look.

Theres no magic to it. Everyone here says their own opinion because there is no answer that can help.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 16:24   #40

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

It's a lot of fun for us here on CF to play what if, but I'm wondering why you set such a high dollar amount of the purchase? Why not figure out first what kind of boat you need/what for what you plan to do, then look to see what it going to cost? I'm guessing a lot less than $1.5M, unless you are looking to make a statement at the dock.
Old 23-06-2011, 16:35   #41

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music

I have a preference for Masons. Great lines! Well designed! But you have a lot of other questions to being asking yourself... like how will you be sailing and where? what things are necessary in your life (ice? A/C? laundry?)??? Set some parameters on how you expect to live and how you will use the boat. Then go shopping for nice lines... I would look at used boats cause more of them have nice lines than the modern boats (IMHO)... unless you are going to blow the wad on a brand new Morris Yacht.
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 16:39   #42

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers

I am a huge Nordhavn fan.. If the admiral liked monohulls we'd be looking at the NordHavn 56Motorsailer.....

Nordhavn 56MS

---

My advice. spend some of that 1.5M and hit some of the larger boat shows Annapolis, Miami and London come to mind..
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 17:03   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by offline View Post
I am a huge Nordhavn fan.. If the admiral liked monohulls we'd be looking at the NordHavn 56Motorsailer.....

Nordhavn 56MS

---

My advice. spend some of that 1.5M and hit some of the larger boat shows Annapolis, Miami and London come to mind..

Been on it....
I like the 55 better, but it's a beautiful boat..
Thank you

I don't know about London but I will be at all the other shows starting thhis September in Newport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
It's a lot of fun for us here on CF to play what if, but I'm wondering why you set such a high dollar amount of the purchase? Why not figure out first what kind of boat you need/what for what you plan to do, then look to see what it going to cost? I'm guessing a lot less than $1.5M, unless you are looking to make a statement at the dock.
Actually, I'm not a dock kinda person.
Never did care one way or the other what other people think of me. My late father always said "consider the source"!!!
Mark
Old 23-06-2011, 17:18   #44

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetSurfer View Post
I don't know about London but I will be at all the other shows starting thhis September in Newport.
PM me before either the Miami or Annapolis show and I'll buy you a painkiller.
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 17:26   #45

Boat: private yacht always moving

might want to also consider buying a used commercial OSV and refitting the interior to your liking,,,an all commercial vessel made to take a pounding, any weather, good steel hull, and all commercial engine and parts. Diesel ducks also, if you decide to go all power and not sail. used fishing or tug boat can work nicely. several private yachts have been converted from them.

Boats for Sale, New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com has lots to offer
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote