Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 23-06-2011, 17:36   #46

Re: 1.5 Mil. To spend….

Could always have a designer do you a custom design to exactly what you want and the lines you're trying to achieve etc. Then have it built. Not going to be your cheapest option though, thats for sure. Find something second hand that fits your needs, everythings going so cheap at the moment.
Old 23-06-2011, 17:39   #47

Wow. Nice position to be in.

My opinion? Go learn to sail then hire Bob Perry to help you buy a boat to sail the world with. Buy a dinghy, go race, sign up as crew with a bigger racing boat and go race. When you are done, go race. Then buy the boat Bob Perry tells you to buy.

Remember, you don't know what you don't know.

Cheers,

Joli

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetSurfer View Post
I’m outta here in three years….
We want to spend the first 10 years cruising the world. At first we were looking at Trawlers, Fleming and Nordhavn 55’s, and we’re going to ship then across instead of cross ourselves. Now, we both are leaning towards sail, which I’m very happy with.
I need some direction not knowing too much about what’s available now. We plan on attending all the shows starting with Newport this September. We’ll be chartering starting next summer and ordering the summer after that, if we decide on a new boat. I have no problem with the initial drop in price of a new boat IF we decide to go that way.
I’m sure we’ll have our kid’s and friends visiting us for some of the times so I’m leaning towards a larger boat. Also I’ll be able to put enough aside to generate 15% of boat cost in income for the duration.

Now, experience….
I have never owned a boat!
BUT, (I know this sounds funny) I surfed for 20 years, 6 professionally.
I KNOW MOTHER OCEAN!!!!
I have sailed all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean, actually crewing on a 100 foot sloop for a while and am at home in the water….
I have completed Chapman’s’ advanced courses both in seamanship and engines. We will take the first year in the Caribbean before making the journey so I’m confident we’ll make the right decision at the time.
Would like a little direction on well built, blue water sailboat manufactures….
Sorry for being so long winded…
Thanks

Mark
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 17:41   #48

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetSurfer View Post
Actually, I'm not a dock kinda person.
Never did care one way or the other what other people think of me. My late father always said "consider the source"!!!
Mark
Didn't mean to imply that you were, although I doubt anyone would ever admit to it.

I tend to look at things from the financial side since I use to do a lot of personal financial planning, and I was mostly wondering why you set such a high number for your first boat.
Old 23-06-2011, 18:30   #49

Mark
Take a look at Tad's designs, and consider the benefits of 'long and skinny' versus the typical L/B ~ 3 trawlers. You could get the 56' built in about 18 months I think, and have quite a bit of change. You might be able to stretch to 60 or 64' if you needed extra room, but I don't think its necessary for 2 plus visitors. You'll be miles ahead of the Nordhavn's for economy, and a lot faster for a given length as well.
Passagemaker Lite 56 - Tad Roberts' fast, seaworthy, fuel-efficient long-range passagemaker
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 19:43   #50

Boat: Moody, CC, 36'

I agree with theonecalledtom. Funny, I actually crewed on that exact Southerly 49 "Astra" last summer round Southern England. I really don't have much to compare it to, since I never really spent much time on a similar boat but DAMN! Super-comfy! The raised saloon is a bonus. The variable draft "swing keel" gets you to spots others cannot go. Lots of storage. *Kevlar hull. Great looking 'lines' as well. 1.5 should put you where you need to be if Southerly is your choice. Do the research and drop by Chichester, UK to the Northshore plant. They run a 'tight ship.'

Best of luck,
- J
jjdelrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 20:04   #51

Boat: in the process

Mark -- Congratulations. . . I was raised on Lake Erie and the Niagara and have had power boats of varying sizes since I was 16. . . We're almost ready to retire and have chosen a NE builder for our dream - a 45' cat. . . you might want to give these folks a call. . . Dick, the owner is a very accessible person. . .

http://www.mecat.com/index.htm

Best to you - Live the dream!
BillKov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 20:07   #52

Boat: in the process

By the way Mark - you are in one of the absolute best forums on the net. . . Great culture and great folks

B
BillKov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 20:30   #53
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Welcome to the Cruisers Forum Mark. Since your new, have you checked out the google search option? It's under the search tab. There are several similar threads to yours here that you may want to read.

When you say you have 1.5 mil to spend, does that mean that's all you have? If you buy a 1.5 mil boat, plan on spending 100k/year on maintenance and repairs. Then, if your that well off to be able to spend that much on a boat, your probably used to living very well, so figure an additional 100k for living. Your 60 so there's a lot of living left. So, if you have 1.5 mil to spend on a boat, you really better have about 20 mil in net equity.

If I had that much money to spend, I'd get an Amel:
AMEL - AMEL Yard
Old 23-06-2011, 21:21   #55

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Just remember the bigger the boat and the more systems you have, the more upkeep and expense.
Locations off the beaten path may not have someone to fix your electric sheet winches, hydraulic keel, computer managed engines or empirbus electrical systems

Villagers and their various vessels rarely have respect for shiney awlgrip topsides
Old 23-06-2011, 23:47   #56
CFR

One of the best name in production boats for cruising and with a good yard support is completly missing. AMEL have a look at the Amel 54 and you are right there. no need to look further. Ih have frinde they a hav a 30 year old Amel marumu and they are in the southpacific sind 4 years, boat is perfect long disctance cruise.....
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 23:58   #57

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Nope, Amel is mentioned just 3 posts above yours.
Old 24-06-2011, 01:25   #58
CFR

sorry you are right , missed that
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 04:37   #59

Boat: Bristol 38.8

There are so many great late model used boats (mono or cat, take your pick) available for $750K (or thereabouts) that it just doesn't make sense to me to spend the entire $1.5 M. on a custom boat.

I, too, am partial to the Southerly 46RS or 49RS. But in a pinch I'd take a Hinckley or a Morris LOL. If cats are your thing, the St. Francis 50 is fabulous. Here's one for $800K (asking price): 2009 St Francis 50 Catamaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 04:52   #60

Boat: private yacht always moving

quick rule of thumb is 10 percent cost of the boat will be the cost of maintenance every year,,working on the mega yachts so the figure is accurate, you can always skimp on the maintenance but you pay more for it in the long run
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote