Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Polar Regions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2013, 08:42   #1

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Second Viking Site in Newfoundland

A second proposed Viking site at Sop's Arm, Newfoundland has been receiving more attention and validity through the archeological and scientific community despite the negations of the government of Newfoundland. It consists of a series of hunting pitfalls that are dated to the Viking period and were commonly used in Norway during the Middle Ages to kill large groups of game. There is no historical or archeological precedence for any indigenous native groups using this technology in this area at any time in history as this particular technique was exclusively European/Viking. The first discovered site, L'Anse Aux Meadows, on the NE tip of Newfoundland, is a UNESCO World Heritage site establishing it as the first recorded settlement of Vikings/Europeans in the New World. The excellent academic treatise follows: https://notendur.hi.is/~jonasson/greinar/falling.pdf
Old 17-12-2013, 09:12   #2

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht
Re: Second Viking Site in Newfoundland

Fascinating stuff. Just think what might have happened if they'd gone on to colonise North America. Constitutional monarchy; votes for women seven years earlier; probably a female prime minister by now and - undoubtedly - universal healthcare already (Haraldcare as opposed to Obamacare?).
Old 17-12-2013, 10:42   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by athene View Post
Fascinating stuff. Just think what might have happened if they'd gone on to colonise North America. Constitutional monarchy; votes for women seven years earlier; probably a female prime minister by now and - undoubtedly - universal healthcare already (Haraldcare as opposed to Obamacare?).

I can assure you Athene, there were no sobbing Liberals in Norway/Iceland/Greenland during the Middle Ages. . . poor Egil Skallagrimsson
is turning in his grave. Good luck, good sailing . . . have you checked your Viking DNA?
Old 17-12-2013, 12:11   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Thanks for the info. I'll try to read up on this.

Was in L'Anse Aux Meadows a bit ago.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 12:14   #5

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

Last year I had a hand operation for Dupuytren's Contracture, which I know is a common complaint amongst those with Viking ancestry. I understand it's to do with pulling hard on those oars - or something ...

Good sailing yourself (but lay off the rape and pillage).
Old 17-12-2013, 12:23   #6

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

Thanks. The Vikings were a remarkable group. Extremely able, and willing to reach and endeavor far from the norm of medieval Europe.

Rognvald, can you provide a link to something about the the type of boat the Vikings used to reach North America?
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 13:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by athene View Post
Last year I had a hand operation for Dupuytren's Contracture, which I know is a common complaint amongst those with Viking ancestry. I understand it's to do with pulling hard on those oars - or something ...

Good sailing yourself (but lay off the rape and pillage).
Athene,
It saddens my heart and shakes my innermost spiritual being to descend from the profound to the profane on such short notice, but your unfortunate malady is, as described above, most certainly due to the latter instance rather than the former. And, in which case I wish you good luck, good sailing, and may your libidinous, over-exercised tendons be protected by Odin.
Old 17-12-2013, 14:05   #8

[QUOTE=Pauls;1417090]Thanks. The Vikings were a remarkable group. Extremely able, and willing to reach and endeavor far from the norm of medieval Europe.

Rognvald, can you provide a link to something about the the type of boat the Vikings used to reach North America?[/QUOTE

Pauls, the ship most commonly used for exploration and settlement was the Knarr- a clinker built cargo ship with deeper draft, heavier displacement and the ability to carry a greater amount of stores. They were traditionally the ship of choice and were very seaworthy. This was undoubtedly the ship used by Leif Ericson when he established his Summer/Winter outpost at L'Anse Aux Meadows, Newfoundland. Here's a quick site on Viking ships. Thanks for your interest. Good luck and good sailing. www.danishnet.com/info.php/vikings/types-of-ships-159.html
Old 17-12-2013, 15:14   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

There is a replica at the adjacent site to LAM. IIRC they sailed it over from Norway.

I'll try to find my picture in a day or two.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 22:12   #10

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
I can assure you Athene, there were no sobbing Liberals in Norway/Iceland/Greenland during the Middle Ages.
Huh ?

Where did that come from ? Faux !?

The Vikings were actually quite civilized and unless they were fighting for leadership they certainly appreciated the need for teamwork and caring for the not fatally wounded.

Since you are a USAian you might not be well versed in history or geography or science but you're missing out. While the theory that the vikings were mainly traders rather than raiders has yet to be substantiated to any reasonable level of confidence they certainly weren't just a bunch of social Darwinist brutes killing whoever was weaker than them in the fleet.

-Sven
Old 17-12-2013, 22:57   #11
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
I can assure you Athene, there were no sobbing Liberals in Norway/Iceland/Greenland during the Middle Ages. . . poor Egil Skallagrimsson
is turning in his grave. Good luck, good sailing . . . have you checked your Viking DNA?

Hilarious, considering that modern day Scandinavia is loaded with and led by people who I'm quite sure you'd call "sobbing liberals". Do you deny the heritage of all of them? Pretty sure that's all he was getting at, that European Scandinavians came to a more enlightened form of government faster than many other nations (such as the US), and that perhaps if they had colonized here the same might have occurred here? Seems like a no brainer to me, regardless of what Egil Skallagrimsson would have thought.....

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 23:40   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
Since you are a USAian you might not be well versed in history or geography or science but you're missing out.
-Sven
You would be surprised what USAians know. Some cities like Seattle have neighborhoods started up by Scand fisherman, and celebrate Leif Erickson's passage annually.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leif_back.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	72344   Click image for larger version

Name:	lief_erikson.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	72345  

Click image for larger version

Name:	leif_plac.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	72346  
Old 18-12-2013, 00:54   #13
Marine Service Provider

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote:
A second proposed Viking site at Sop's Arm, Newfoundland has been receiving more attention and validity through the archeological and scientific community despite the negations of the government of Newfoundland. It consists of a series of hunting pitfalls that are dated to the Viking period and were commonly used in Norway during the Middle Ages to kill large groups of game. There is no historical or archeological precedence for any indigenous native groups using this technology in this area at any time in history as this particular technique was exclusively European/Viking. The first discovered site, L'Anse Aux Meadows, on the NE tip of Newfoundland, is a UNESCO World Heritage site establishing it as the first recorded settlement of Vikings/Europeans in the New World. The excellent academic treatise follows: https://notendur.hi.is/~jonasson/greinar/falling.pdf
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 03:55   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
An examination history of the extensive presence of the Vikings in Ireland , shows them to have primarily been traders and keen to establish towns , settlements and integrate with the locals , Dublin was founded by them and there's a reason for the many blond blue eyed groups in Irish society ( as there are peculiarly Spanish looking people in the NW of Ireland !)

Dave
Old 18-12-2013, 03:58   #15

Boat: Heritage 35

I belief another site hasbeen excavated on Baffin Island this past summer. Can't remember if i saw it on a News cast in Norway or here in Canada.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newfoundland