Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Polar Regions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2015, 07:49   #391
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
No we're not agreeing on anything.
Fine, your mind is made up. No point in discussing science then.
Old 24-03-2015, 08:02   #392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Sorry to harp on. Participating in this thread made me do a casual search on current climate change status this evening. One of the first articles I stumbled on kind of confirms my opinion of data homogenization:

The fiddling with temperature data is the biggest science scandal ever - Telegraph

Here's a sample of the article:

Two weeks ago, under the headline “How we are being tricked by flawed data on global warming”, I wrote about Paul Homewood, who, on his Notalotofpeopleknowthat blog, had checked the published temperature graphs for three weather stations in Paraguay against the temperatures that had originally been recorded. In each instance, the actual trend of 60 years of data had been dramatically reversed, so that a cooling trend was changed to one that showed a marked warming.

And another recent article that I found interesting:

'Global warming the greatest scam in history' claims founder of Weather Channel | Nature | News | Daily Express

Hopefully this bogeyman will soon be put to bed and the resources made available can be turned to the more immediate and pressing issues facing mankind and the planet that can actually be resolved.
Kevin Cowtan on Brooker

John Coleman lasted one year at the Weather Channel. He is a TV weatherman with a degree in journalism. The Weather Channel professionals have a statement on climate change which contradicts Coleman.

http://www.weather.com/science/envir...ement-20141029

You need to dig deeper on these issues.
Old 24-03-2015, 08:15   #393

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
............ BTW - I have not seen the movie, not do I use Gore as any sort of expert.
Without Al Gore you wouldn't have the Internet to post on.
Old 24-03-2015, 08:16   #394
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Unfortunately Jackdale you have been hoodwinked by the warmistas. The truth is that the Antarctic summers of recent years have been colder than ever. Last year an expedition of scientists off to prove the effects of global warming on Antarctica was frozen in during summer. How embarrassment !
Global Warming Researchers Rescued From Antarctic Ice - Breitbart

Just a few weeks ago a fishing boat was also stranded in ice during summer.
U.S. Coast Guard rescues 26 from vessel stuck in Antarctic ice | Reuters

In addition, the area of the Antarctic covered by sea ice is at record highs.
Antarctic Sea Ice Reaches New Record Maximum | NASA

Beware of Warmistas. They will tell you anything.

What's bizzare is you quote sources that confirm warming . Please read the last quote through for example

I just wonder what you actually read to inform your opinions

Just like smoking and cancer the science is settled. All we are arguing over is the extent of the subsequent events/consequences.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-03-2015, 08:41   #395

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Just like smoking and cancer the science is settled. All we are arguing over is the extent of the subsequent events/consequences.

The correlation between smoking and cancer has been thoroughly researched and explained, but no such "settled science" exists when it comes to global warming or climate change or whatever the popular terminology is these days. Just because many of you seem to WISH it were settled science doesn't make it so. Of course, climate change is a hugely more complex thing to understand, and is equally difficult to observe so it may turn out to be just as warmist say. But despite what you have chosen to believe, it's NOT settled science and won't be for quite awhile. That's not necessarily because you are wrong, it's just that the whole earth and atmosphere make up a vast, complex with an almost infinite number of variables, so it's pretty understandable that we don't yet understand how it all works like we do cancer. For the foreseeable future, we all may have our own ideas about climate and climate change, but nobody can really say they know for sure, only what we BELIEVE.
Old 24-03-2015, 08:42   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Without Al Gore you wouldn't have the Internet to post on.
snopes.com: Did Al Gore Claim He Invented the Internet?
Old 24-03-2015, 08:45   #397

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:

Wow, pretty matter of fact!! I guess there is no point in any more debate.
Old 24-03-2015, 08:46   #398

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Who really cares? It's just so much fun to watch his acolytes bang their heads against brick walls, thanks for the visual! But even his claim that he "created" the Internet is pretty arrogant and self serving, which pretty much summarizes the man himself, thus the ongoing stereotype.
Old 24-03-2015, 08:46   #399
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
For the foreseeable future, we all may have our own ideas about climate and climate change, but nobody can really say they know for sure, only what we BELIEVE.
Where the errors and inaccuracies lie seems much better defined than you might think..

Climate Change: Evidence and Causes » Climate Change at the National Academies
Old 24-03-2015, 08:49   #400
Nearly an old salt

Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
The correlation between smoking and cancer has been thoroughly researched and explained, but no such "settled science" exists when it comes to global warming or climate change or whatever the popular terminology is these days. Just because many of you seem to WISH it were settled science doesn't make it so. Of course, climate change is a hugely more complex thing to understand, and is equally difficult to observe so it may turn out to be just as warmist say. But despite what you have chosen to believe, it's NOT settled science and won't be for quite awhile. That's not necessarily because you are wrong, it's just that the whole earth and atmosphere make up a vast, complex with an almost infinite number of variables, so it's pretty understandable that we don't yet understand how it all works like we do cancer. For the foreseeable future, we all may have our own ideas about climate and climate change, but nobody can really say they know for sure, only what we BELIEVE.

Sorry unless you possess the qualifications in advanced maths and have studied the peer reviewed science can you make any statement about what you BELEIVE .

If however you have either spoken to acknowledged experts in the field or have read extensively the peer reviewed science, then I will except what you say.

The funny thing is that the serious scientific community have agreed that global climate change is occurring faster as a result of man made influences ( note not just warming but " change " )

What is now being investigated and debated is the accuracy of the models and their predictions.

This stuff simply isn't accessible to ordinary people. Hence most get their from simplistic non science biased opinion formers.

Reading on some right wing blog written by a non science person isn't the same as reviewing the subject scientifically.

As I said , deniers are like smokers 20 years ago.

Dave

Old 24-03-2015, 08:51   #401

Quote:
The irony is that the Heartland Institute, one the main climate science denial lobby groups, is also a lobbyist for the tobacco industry and they use that same tactics and the same people.

Here is Joe Bast, the president of Heartland in 1996.

Quote:
With respect to smoking, there's plenty of evidence--including a recent study by the Congressional Research Service--that sound science concerning the health effects of "second-hand smoke" doesn't support the claims being made by EPA and FDA.
Joe Camel Is Innocent! | Heartlander Magazine
Old 24-03-2015, 08:53   #402

Quote:
Who really cares? It's just so much fun to watch his acolytes bang their heads against brick walls, thanks for the visual! But even his claim that he "created" the Internet is pretty arrogant and self serving, which pretty much summarizes the man himself, thus the ongoing stereotype.
He did not make that claim. You have been suckered.
Old 24-03-2015, 08:54   #403
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Wow, pretty matter of fact!! I guess there is no point in any more debate.

The only debate in the majority scientific community is the arguments over the extent of the effects. ( ie the validity of the various models )

This can range from benign to catastrophic at present given the variability of the models.

But the fact remains all serious scientific bodies , with skin in the game , nasa , un , universities agree that the climate is experiencing quicker change due mans recent efforts.

Old 24-03-2015, 08:56   #404
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Sorry unless you possess the qualifications in advanced maths and have studied the peer reviewed science can you make any statement about what you BELEIVE .
Ahhhh...sorry Dave, that's not now a Representative Democracy works my friend. If you can't convince the Voters, then it what you think and believe frankly doesn't matter from a public policy standpoint. See in a Representative Democracy the smarter than us folks don't get to make laws that govern and control us. Oh, I know this irritates those like Obama who just goes around the laws, but if you want a solution to what you believe is MMGW...then my friend, you had better start treating us dumb voters with a little more respect because without us...nothing is going to happen! We don't live in a Dictatorship....well yet anyway....
Old 24-03-2015, 08:58   #405
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
He did not make that claim. You have been suckered.
Ha ha ha...using Snopes to prove an argument...my dear Canadian friend, it is you who have been suckered...might as well link to MoveOn.org for "the truth". I love you...but it's time to give up or convince the voters...you know...those evil Tea Party guys/gals that won the House/Senate in 2014....ha ha...good luck with that.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water