Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2017, 15:42   #31

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Re: Sail 22' up Columbia in Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanni View Post
I need someone to help me move recently purchased 22' Santana short distance up river on the Columbia in Portland, OR. I have no experience sailing or boating and am not feeling confident with current motor situation, I'm just not knowledgeable AT ALL. Looking to do this around end of January.
Did you get your boat moved? If not, I am staying at Tomahawk Bay Marina... I'm a bit confused about where the boat sits and where you are going to dock it, but we can discuss that. Send me a message if you still want help.
Old 25-01-2017, 16:48   #32

Thanks for your reply, no I've not yet moved he boat, I've been delayed a bit by weather for various other things as well. Currently it is located at a houseboat hysterical west of the expo center. I am still deciding where to put her but I would like to be somewhere in the bridgeton rd, n.e. 33rd Ave & marine drive area. The weather has even delayed the marina personnel being available so I'm hoping very soon to get moving in the next week or two
tsanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 09:24   #33

Yes, the snow and ice messed things up pretty well. I believe the Santana 22 mast is about 26' above the deck. Dimensions of Santana 22 (phrf) The North Portland Harbor I5 bridge is 35' so you may be able to move to Bridgeton or further upstream without going around Hayden and Tomahawk Islands. Portland Bridges | Portland Yacht Club that would make your trip considerably shorter.
Old 26-01-2017, 11:41   #34

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I was thinking the same thing. It will be close but should work: the river heights have been running 6'-8', so not a lot of extra room. See National Weather Service Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service In another couple of months the river will be too high to clear. I would recommend getting it done sooner rather than later, weather permitting.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 11:56   #35

After studying a bit, this would be close. The link I gave shows river stage by the gauge reading, which itself is 1.82' above datum. So the current 5' gauge reading is actually close to 7' above datum, and the 7.78' reading last Saturday would be 9.6' above datum: too high to clear a 26' mast by 0.6' at the center. This needs to be watched...

Greg
Old 02-02-2017, 20:22   #36

Testing 123
Old 02-02-2017, 20:36   #37

I've had trouble getting to successfully send relies to you all individually anymore, not sure what's up there. I want to thank everyone so much for your interest, info and replies. I found a wonderful slip at a tiny marina called ryans at 33rd & marine dr. Thank God he knows what he's doing because when I tried to schedule the move for today or tomorrow several days ago he was on top of it and told me to get her there asap to avoid this latest storm, so on Tuesday night I successfully moved her with a new (to me) 10 hp Honda on perfect glass like water, so everything has worked out. I had a very nice young man who is a genius with all things mechanical help me motor her up. The woman I bought her from is within sight of the train bridge, not sure of its official name and she informed me there would be absolutely no problem clearing the bridges. I think we made it within an inch of that bridge and maybe less than a foot of the I5 bridge so the trip had its moments, but she also informed me in all sincerity it's impossible to sink a sailboat. Glad to be done with her. Now I'm just anxious to get going, start learning and getting what needs to be done accomplished,. Once again thanks to all of you for your interest and generosity with me.
Old 02-02-2017, 20:41   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I'll pass on the trip but happy to do the shore shuttle for you.

Greg
I've posted a general posting on this thread to update everyone who has be so kind and taken an interest in my dilemma but have had trouble successfully sending to individuals so I hope this gets to you. If you're interested in what happened check towards the end of the thread and you should find my post. Thanks again
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Yes, the snow and ice messed things up pretty well. I believe the Santana 22 mast is about 26' above the deck. Dimensions of Santana 22 (phrf) The North Portland Harbor I5 bridge is 35' so you may be able to move to Bridgeton or further upstream without going around Hayden and Tomahawk Islands. Portland Bridges | Portland Yacht Club that would make your trip considerably shorter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3.friend View Post
I would be willing to lend a hand. From where to where?
Old 02-02-2017, 20:43   #39

Yes everybody has been so helpful. I'm finally settled at ryans are 33rd and marine dr. I have posted at end of this thread how it went. Thanks again
Old 02-02-2017, 21:56   #40

Quote:
Yes everybody has been so helpful. I'm finally settled at ryans are 33rd and marine dr. I have posted at end of this thread how it went. Thanks again
I3.friend, if you're out there, please get ahold of me, I'll go out in the cold if you want to go for a sail. I'm anxious to get started. Just remember, I'm not gonna be much help at first but hopefully I'll learn quickly. I haven't been successful in sending you a reply here on CF, you still got my #? I looked back and didn't see anywhere you'd given me yours
Old 02-02-2017, 22:12   #41

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

Hi Tsanni,

The woman who told you it's "almost impossible to sink a sailboat" did herself a big favor selling you her boat. I could sink the boat in minutes, in many different ways, and a lot of them without even doing anything major to make it happen.

Anything else she told you may be poor information and I would forget about it straight up.

Good luck with your learning and the best lesson you've already found out is check your sources. Get the wrong advice and it could mean the loss of your new boat, or worse.

Don't mean to scare you, none of this is really difficult or risky as long as you make sure you and your boat are shipshape. I would get a good sailor on your boat very soon to check it out and make sure the former owner didn't leave any other serious issues for you.

Good luck!
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 23:04   #42

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Glad that the move went ok! Now, as to the unsinkability of Santana 22s (which I've sailed in and like), there is a famous series of shots of one sorta pitchpoling and then sinking by the South tower of the Golden Gate bridge. Abit of googling will likely retrieve those shots. This is not meant to frighten you, but to make you aware that she (the PO) is a fruitcake! Actually, I thin you worked that out on your own!

As the weather permits, get out and get sailing ASAP. You're gonna love it!

Jim
Old 02-02-2017, 23:12   #43

Yes I am very aware of what a fruitcake, at very least, she is. Blatantly dishonest is what she is. I posted that to give people a laugh. I kinda new from the start she didn't have any idea what she was talking about, at best, which is why I have relied so heavily on the information I have received from you all. I do in the end feel good about the boat itself and am aware of tons of little things that need to be done first. I'm hoping to not find out about too many big things. I can't wait to start learning to sail her. First I gotta go lift some weights so I can start this motor! Thanks again to all.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:32   #44

Quote:
so on Tuesday night I successfully moved her with a new (to me) 10 hp Honda on perfect glass like water, so everything has worked out...The woman I bought her from is within sight of the train bridge, not sure of its official name and she informed me there would be absolutely no problem clearing the bridges. I think we made it within an inch of that bridge and maybe less than a foot of the I5 bridge
That woman should know better - during the runoff there are times you would hit the I-5 bridge. On Tuesday night, depending on time, you should have cleared the railroad bridge by about 6 feet and the I-5 by about 2 feet. From the deck of a sailboat it always looks like it is much closer than it is.

I'm glad you made it safely. Have fun,

Greg
Old 04-02-2017, 18:27   #45

Congratulations and welcome to the river Tsanni.

Spring can be a wonderful sailing season on the Columbia, especially those 2 summer-like weeks in February, but beware the very stiff current when the river is high. My advice is practice deploying your anchor, because if your engine conks out you may not be able to sail upstream without losing ground.

PS, One easy way to leave a personal msg on the forum is to thank someone for their post to initiate a conversation. From that point on it's just clicking the private messages link under your name in the upper right hand corner of the forum screen.

Tags
columbia, portland, sail