Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2017, 10:12   #16

Re: Sail 22' up Columbia in Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueguy View Post
Let me know, I can bring our dink to use as a bumper boat or tow it has a nice new 20 hp engine just in case. Brian 541 760 5957 I know that area pretty well also.
Thank you so much for your offer, it appears to be perhaps one of the more sane optiins to get this done. I'm more than a little concerned, however, at what the cost would be involved for such an endeavor as I'm on n extremely limited budget. I'm a bit stuck right now because of this weather, my first order of business is to decide on where her new home will be and then I can formulate a plan to get all this accomplished once the weather has cleared enough. Thanks again so much for your response and offer to help, I've been so impressed but not surprised at the concern and interest in have received from this community.
tsanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:13   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsailordiver View Post
Captains Moorage is a great place really nice people. I kept my Cascade 42 there for years.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely look into them, I love that area and it's definitely the zone I'm aiming to be in
Old 09-01-2017, 10:15   #18

Quote:
Sounds like fun. I would help.
Thanks so much for the offer, I'll be in touch as soon as I've got a plan of action.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:22   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post
I move boats year round. We are inland so only severe weather would postpone this. I also have a 18 avon with a 90 HP Yamaha outboard that can tow this at speed with no problem. PM me if you wish to discuss.

Run a non-profit here in PDX called go-sail.org that can introduce you to lots of other folks that are learning like you are.
Thank you so much for your reply and offer to help, towing seems to be the safest way to go, I'm only concerned about what the cost involved would be as I'm on extremely limited budget and none of this was anticipated at all. It's just a short distance I'll be going and thought it would be a simple matter of motoring the small distance and be done with it. I know that was naive of me and that this is just the fist of many many unanticipated things that pop uo, but I'm sure that I will find a way to get it done, especially with all you great people out there willing to lend a hand. So for now I'm just waiting out this lovely weather we're having and using the time to hopefully find her new home.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by i3.friend View Post
If u want get out and sail with me anytime feel free to message me. Im going to do a circumnavigation of sauvies island soon for fun
Sounds great, lmk when you are going and I may be able to join at least part of the way. How long do you anticipate that taking?
Old 09-01-2017, 10:28   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon

My delivery rate is typically $400/day or $200 for a half day. I will cut you a deal and just charge you my gas on the avon (probably about $15), as long as you sign up on go-sail.org distribution list ...... its a win-win for you. In 2016 a hand full of my go-sail folks got over 3k miles of sailing in the ocean including Hawaii deliveries. You to can access to some of this by getting on the go-sail.org distribution list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanni View Post
Thank you so much for your reply and offer to help, towing seems to be the safest way to go, I'm only concerned about what the cost involved would be as I'm on extremely limited budget and none of this was anticipated at all. It's just a short distance I'll be going and thought it would be a simple matter of motoring the small distance and be done with it. I know that was naive of me and that this is just the fist of many many unanticipated things that pop uo, but I'm sure that I will find a way to get it done, especially with all you great people out there willing to lend a hand. So for now I'm just waiting out this lovely weather we're having and using the time to hopefully find her new home.
MC2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:40   #22
Marine Service Provider

Would rather do it over two days just to not be rushed
i3.friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:41   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post
My delivery rate is typically $400/day or $200 for a half day. I will cut you a deal and just charge you my gas on the avon (probably about $15), as long as you sign up on go-sail.org distribution list ...... its a win-win for you. In 2016 a hand full of my go-sail folks got over 3k miles of sailing in the ocean including Hawaii deliveries. You to can access to some of this by getting on the go-sail.org distribution list.
Thank you so much for the offer, I may very well take you up on it. I'm not at all familiar with what's involved with joining this group so I guess my next step is to research them. I would look forward to joining anything appropriate for me and willing to help whoever I can. Like I've said, I have absolutely zero experience but am willing to learn, after all that's why I'm doing this in the first place. I'll be in touch as soon as I've firmed up where I will be docking her.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:10   #24

Quote:
Yeah, best not to be too rigid with your schedule, especially with this weather. I'm surprised your able to get out at all, you must be fairly young. I'm a bit of a wimp about it, but I'm sure that's gonna have to change if I hope to have any part of this work out. Lmk when you plan on taking off.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:15   #25

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

Quote:
OP wants to move 3- 5 miles at the most.
Does the boat have sails and an anchor?
If you can borrow an outboard that would be great. Do it on a weekend and I will help.
Having someone with a dingy along would be great idea.
I have an anchor and rode you can use if needed.
I'm sure I can find someone with a dingy to help out. Buy us lunch.
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:15   #26

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

It's not clear from your posts, but if you are of the fairer sex then you might consider joining OWSA (Oregon Womens Sailing Association). They are very active in women teaching women sailing. They will be at the Portland Boat Show this week. You might want to go to get a feel for things here in any case.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 17:05   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
It's not clear from your posts, but if you are of the fairer sex then you might consider joining OWSA (Oregon Womens Sailing Association). They are very active in women teaching women sailing. They will be at the Portland Boat Show this week. You might want to go to get a feel for things here in any case.

Greg
Yes, I am female and will definitely check them out. Not sure if I can make it to the boat show but will if possible. Thanks
Old 09-01-2017, 17:07   #28
Marine Service Provider

I will be able to tow it for next to nothing worse case. I also have anchors a few outboards possibly to use. Love my yanmar
i3.friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 17:25   #29

Quote:
OP wants to move 3- 5 miles at the most.
Does the boat have sails and an anchor?
If you can borrow an outboard that would be great. Do it on a weekend and I will help.
Having someone with a dingy along would be great idea.
I have an anchor and rode you can use if needed.
I'm sure I can find someone with a dingy to help out. Buy us lunch.
Yes, has sails on that I believe are in good condition as well as brand new back ups. I'm assuming it's got an anchor, but I know assumptions are a bad idea. I know I'm gonna need some batteries, I don't know if that's necessary prior to being towed, I was hoping to deal with that after I get her docked so I can do the research and get the best and proper ones for my needs which I don't really know are at this point.
Old 09-01-2017, 19:22   #30

Also, at this point no dingy btw. It's on the short list of first things to look into depending on my docking situation. I've got so much to learn and have spent so little time on her that I feel like before making decisions on larger investments in her i really need to spend some time acquaint ingredients myself with her and finding out as best I can what the priorities are. I'm kinda blind right now in that regard. But everybody's been great helping and advising me and it's much appreciated. I'm feeling so much less panicked than I did a couple of days ago

Tags
columbia, portland, sail