Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2019, 16:09   #1

Boat: Beneteau/343
Looking for crew from Portland Oregon to Anacortes

The boat is a 2008 Beneteau 343.

My thought is the following:
- June 28 leave Portland for Astoria. arrive Astoria that day.
-June 29, leave Astoria for Neah Bay. Arrive around 19:00 on 6/30.
-proceed to Anacortes. It may make sense to spend the night in Neah bay.
This is about a 16 hour transit.

I’d cover food and a bus ticket home. This is not a paid gig.

Things to know about the boat.
-35 gallons of diesel. That works out to at least 35-40 hours depending on headwinds.
-past experience was it took 25-30 gallons of fuel to go from Astoria to Neah Bay over 33 hours.
-the boat will be rigged with jack lines and a raft.
-Bimini and dodger are good
-radar, gps, radio, and autopilot all functioning.

I’ve done this before but haven’t done it several times.

I’m looking for 2 people with some experience on the Washington coast who have been over the Columbia bar. Optimal crew would be four and we’d use single person watches with 2 hours on and 6 off.

Non smoking boat. Usual “non”s apply.
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 13:46   #2

Re: Looking for crew from Portland Oregon to Anacortes

Sir: I am interested in crewing on your Portland to Anacortes trip. Please private message me your email and/or phone number and I will reply with information about myself. Sincerely Mark R.
Sailingsailor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 14:47   #3

Reply sent
Old 23-05-2019, 15:59   #4

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I'd be interested in crewing as well. PM me as I am having troubles sending you a message
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 09:03   #5

Boat: KP 46

That is a long day Portland to Astoria, there is nice marina a bit over half way at Cathlamet behind Puget island on the washington side. And a couple of restaurants in easy walking distance. ( I live there).
As for the bar, I have crossed it dozens of times in fair weather and foul. Pretty simple decision in a small boat : if it looks bad, wait a day, if it looks good. Go for it. Slack water high is the best. But if the wind is light and it has not been blowing out of the west then it should be uneventful at any tide, (usually a bit flatter on the flood).
Have a good trip.
M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 09:13   #6

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I just did Portland to Astoria in 10 hours on a Hunter 420. The river current is moving fast right now.

I delivered boats along the entire west coasts for many many years and would be happy to discuss the trip with you if you'd like. I'm in PDX, McCuddys on Hayden Island. PM me if interested.

I would recommend bringing a couple of 5 gal jugs of fuel JIC you need some as well as have some form of towing insurance and snorkeling equip. Lots of Crab traps out there now.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 09:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
That is a long day Portland to Astoria, there is nice marina a bit over half way at Cathlamet behind Puget island on the washington side. And a couple of restaurants in easy walking distance. ( I live there).

As for the bar, I have crossed it dozens of times in fair weather and foul. Pretty simple decision in a small boat : if it looks bad, wait a day, if it looks good. Go for it. Slack water high is the best. But if the wind is light and it has not been blowing out of the west then it should be uneventful at any tide, (usually a bit flatter on the flood).

Have a good trip.

M

I’ve gone to Astoria a couple times in about 10 hours. You need to time it with the tide, but it can be done.

I agree about the Bar.
Old 24-05-2019, 14:07   #8

Boat: 1980 S2 8.0b (26')
Thumbs up Re: Looking for crew from Portland Oregon to Anacortes

I would like to crew. I have been sailing since 2006 with my 26' S2 on the Columbia River. Never been over the bar, but would like to! You could sail to the Longview Yacht Club, stay over night and pick me up. I could fix dinner for you.
Halp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 16:32   #9

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Just a glance at OCPN's tidal currents (i.e. you will need to do your own research in any event) it looks like an early start from Portland will get you to Astoria at low slack at about 6PM, riding the ebb down from Cathlamet. The tidal current will be pretty small in any event - whether the fast run-off currents will still be happening is an open question (they can last through the 4th). Twelve hours later, roughly, it will be low slack again (actually closer to 7AM) so a very early start will get you across the bar at slack with a kick on your way once clear. Very serendipitous (or planned) timing. Weather permitting it looks good.

Ah, but will the weather permit? If not then what are your plans for the boat and crew? Are you, and they, willing to sit in Astoria, Westport, or Neah Bay for a day, or two, or more? Or will you tie the boat up and wait for another weekend to continue? There are bus trips available from/to Astoria, but getting home from Westport could be a very long challenge. Last time I needed to get crew out of Neah Bay it was quite the adventure - one early morning bus and hours just to get to Port Angeles. I'm not trying to jinx this, just think you should all be on the same page. Since I'm retired my next trip up the coast will take as long as it takes, so crew on a schedule might not find that the best match. OTOH if the OP is on a tight schedule to get back to work that will affect the decisions differently. It was on the return trip from the Sound that I learned, at considerable cost, the danger of letting schedules affect decision-making - caution is advised.

Fair winds,

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 16:54   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Just a glance at OCPN's tidal currents (i.e. you will need to do your own research in any event) it looks like an early start from Portland will get you to Astoria at low slack at about 6PM, riding the ebb down from Cathlamet. The tidal current will be pretty small in any event - whether the fast run-off currents will still be happening is an open question (they can last through the 4th). Twelve hours later, roughly, it will be low slack again (actually closer to 7AM) so a very early start will get you across the bar at slack with a kick on your way once clear. Very serendipitous (or planned) timing. Weather permitting it looks good.

Ah, but will the weather permit? If not then what are your plans for the boat and crew? Are you, and they, willing to sit in Astoria, Westport, or Neah Bay for a day, or two, or more? Or will you tie the boat up and wait for another weekend to continue? There are bus trips available from/to Astoria, but getting home from Westport could be a very long challenge. Last time I needed to get crew out of Neah Bay it was quite the adventure - one early morning bus and hours just to get to Port Angeles. I'm not trying to jinx this, just think you should all be on the same page. Since I'm retired my next trip up the coast will take as long as it takes, so crew on a schedule might not find that the best match. OTOH if the OP is on a tight schedule to get back to work that will affect the decisions differently. It was on the return trip from the Sound that I learned, at considerable cost, the danger of letting schedules affect decision-making - caution is advised.

Fair winds,

Greg

I am retired as well so I am flexible. We’ll sit out the weather as needed. If the weather deteriorates we would duck in to La Push( not my preference) or west haven.
Old 27-05-2019, 09:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
I'd be interested in crewing as well. PM me as I am having troubles sending you a message

Please send email to davefromoregonSail@gmail.com
Old 31-05-2019, 10:21   #12

Bump. I am still trying to confirm crew.

Tags
crew, oregon, portland