Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2019, 09:53   #16

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Delivery from New Caledonia to Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohthetrees View Post
Thanks for the first hand info. 8 weeks was about what we are guestimating as well. Atol, above, was guessing 8 weeks to Hawaii only, which seems quite long. Right now we feel our best bet is delivery to Hawaii in November, then wintering there, and I'll deliver myself to Seattle in late spring.
I think a better place to "winter" (actually summer there) over would be New Zealand. Better dockage and haulout options. New Caledonia to New Zealand was a pretty easy trip for us.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 12:42   #17

Boat: Prout 50

I am involved in bringing a catamaran back from the Caribbean come Jan. I am also watching the owner go through lots of heart ache and expenses buying a boat so far away. By the time you have local folks all trying to pick your pocket for the many items a hopefully good surveyor finds, plus the tremendous wear such a delivery would incur, plus insurance and delivery for the trip, I honestly feel you would do better buying here in the U.S. The only way to make this work is if you could just start to enjoy your new boat from where it is. Don't come East, go West. Unfortunately not all of us can do that. Just a thought.
jragman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 18:19   #18

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

That's a sound seaworthy boat, well set for solo or short handed.

I know an experienced solo delivery skipper who would do that, preferably either now, Nov/Dec, before cyclone risk increases, or April/May. He's a professional person, a safe pair of hands.

It's not a big deal.

Route is to head north, initially making as much Easting if possible, maybe making a bit of Westing around the equator, depending on how the wind blows. The route is an easy reach (across the wind) and across the current.

If it's now, plan to head East around 35 - 40 degrees (SFO's Latitude), making Northing approaching Nth America. If April/May, plan to head East around 45 to 50 degrees (Seattle's Latitude). The latter option is a bit more sea distance, but a couple of degrees warmer. This route can be expected to be downwind and down-current.

Because its downwind or reaching, the wear and risk is minimal. By the pilot charts the chances of winds on the nose is minimised. Nevertheless, instructions would be to avoid going to windward - that's where the damage risk become higher. Instruct to heave to or take the longer route to avoid windward.

There'd be no stop in Hawaii, as that's 900 to 1800 miles to the south or the winter or summer route. There may be provision for a break in Port Vila or Santos, if Easting can be gained on the first leg.

If you organise it for now, you can have good confidence you'd have your boat in Seattle around Xmas.

This trip is not a big deal for and experienced person and this boat. PM me if you want more detail, but please don't be a time waster (sorry to have to say - we've had them before).
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 21:32   #19

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi View Post

I know an experienced solo delivery skipper who would do that, preferably either now, Nov/Dec, before cyclone risk increases, or April/May. He's a professional person, a safe pair of hands.

It's not a big deal.

Route is to head north, initially making as much Easting if possible, maybe making a bit of Westing around the equator, depending on how the wind blows. The route is an easy reach (across the wind) and across the current.

If it's now, plan to head East around 35 - 40 degrees (SFO's Latitude), making Northing approaching Nth America. If April/May, plan to head East around 45 to 50 degrees (Seattle's Latitude). The latter option is a bit more sea distance, but a couple of degrees warmer. This route can be expected to be downwind and down-current.

Because its downwind or reaching, the wear and risk is minimal. By the pilot charts the chances of winds on the nose is minimised. Nevertheless, instructions would be to avoid going to windward - that's where the damage risk become higher. Instruct to heave to or take the longer route to avoid windward.

There'd be no stop in Hawaii, as that's 900 to 1800 miles to the south or the winter or summer route. There may be provision for a break in Port Vila or Santos, if Easting can be gained on the first leg.

If you organise it for now, you can have good confidence you'd have your boat in Seattle around Xmas.

This trip is not a big deal for and experienced person and this boat. PM me if you want more detail, but please don't be a time waster (sorry to have to say - we've had them before).
A friend of mine did the same, they went north non-stop, rode the westerly all the way, far north of HI, and had an uneventful trip. But you don't want to be in the northern route this time of year until April. I believe you would leave New Caledonia in April and cross north of 25N before the northern hemisphere typhoon season gets in gear to do this.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 21:55   #20

Boat: Hanse 505 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragman8 View Post
I am involved in bringing a catamaran back from the Caribbean come Jan. I am also watching the owner go through lots of heart ache and expenses buying a boat so far away. By the time you have local folks all trying to pick your pocket for the many items a hopefully good surveyor finds, plus the tremendous wear such a delivery would incur, plus insurance and delivery for the trip, I honestly feel you would do better buying here in the U.S. The only way to make this work is if you could just start to enjoy your new boat from where it is. Don't come East, go West. Unfortunately not all of us can do that. Just a thought.
Thanks for your perspective. I'm afraid it is delivery/transport or nothing, we can't use it where it lies. One of the appeals of this boat is it seems fully sorted, and doesn't appear to need anything other than food and fuel to be ready for passage. Of course if the surveyor I'm flying in from Australia doesn't find that to be the case, I'd walk away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi View Post

It's not a big deal.

I don't think I'd be comfortable sending a boat of that size for a delivery of that length with a crew less than 3. Certainly not a single hander. Decision making deteriorates with sleep deprivation, and I'd happily pay more for the extra crew. Maybe that isn't what you meant.

I'm intrigued by the idea of going direct, rather than via Hawaii. Hadn't occurred to me. I suppose after you make adequate northing, you could ride W along the southern edge of the lows that are rolling by, and scuttle south if you see a big mean one heading your way. I'm interested to see if any pro skippers think this is viable mid-November to early December. Don't mean to insult you if you are a pro skipper, I'm new to the forum and don't know who you are.

As for being a time-waster, depends on what you mean. I have cash in hand, preliminary insurance quote, and think I'm very close to finding an agreeable price with the seller. I'm making a serious effort to buy this boat. On the other hand, if I can't arrange transport safely and economically, or the survey comes up with problems, I won't hesitate to walk away. So if that seems acceptably non time wasting, please do get me in contact with your friend.

In any case thanks for your thoughts and perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
A friend of mine did the same, they went north non-stop, rode the westerly all the way, far north of HI, and had an uneventful trip. But you don't want to be in the northern route this time of year until April. I believe you would leave New Caledonia in April and cross north of 25N before the northern hemisphere typhoon season gets in gear to do this.
Do you think it is too late because of cyclones in the S, or lows in the N?
ohthetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 23:09   #21

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Do you think it is too late because of cyclones in the S, or lows in the N?
A quick look at the N. Pacific pilot chart for Dec should answer that. Those little numbers in the center of the windrose tell you the number of gales per month in the sector.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 23:48   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
A quick look at the N. Pacific pilot chart for Dec should answer that. Those little numbers in the center of the windrose tell you the number of gales per month in the sector.
Yeah, I certainly wouldn't go cruising in that, but don't know if delivery skippers are more adventurous than I am. With a tiny scrap of storm jib and drogues out the back, you can make a lot of miles/day if you are going downwind in a gale (did this a couple of times as a kid, but not on purpose. Wasn't even that uncomfortable or scary.

If delivery is going to work, I suspect it will be to Hawaii only, and soon. That's OK, I kind of look forward to delivering myself from Hawaii to Seattle in the spring.
Old 29-10-2019, 23:55   #23

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Yeah, I certainly wouldn't go cruising in that, but don't know if delivery skippers are more adventurous than I am. With a tiny scrap of storm jib and drogues out the back, you can make a lot of miles/day if you are going downwind in a gale (did this a couple of times as a kid, but not on purpose. Wasn't even that uncomfortable or scary.

If delivery is going to work, I suspect it will be to Hawaii only, and soon. That's OK, I kind of look forward to delivering myself from Hawaii to Seattle in the spring.
What makes you think a Dec North Pacific gale will be downwind
Willing skipper or not, it is your boat and your insurance company.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 05:43   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
——but don't know if delivery skippers are more adventurous than I am. With a tiny scrap of storm jib and drogues out the back, you can make a lot of miles/day if you are going downwind in a gale (did this a couple of times as a kid, but not on purpose. Wasn't even that uncomfortable or scary.
Skippers who do deliveries are genetically blessed with fortitude. But the good ones walk the line between fortitude and hubris. Hubris will get you in trouble! As a licensed USCG Master, it can make it difficult to get insured on my next job.

While I am am perfectly willing to bring a boat from the Virgin Islands to Florida in Hurricane Season, getting about from New Caledonia to Seattle is another story. Because the Pacific trip is dramatically longer, you are outside of any weather forecast. Even carrying my GO device and getting weather along the way, does not assure being able to dodge the storms.

As a guy who does deliveries, the last thing I want to do is beat a boat up. It is not a good idea at the end of a delivery to say, “Here’s your boat. The stuff that broke or fell off are on the vee-berth.”
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 06:58   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
While I am am perfectly willing to bring a boat from the Virgin Islands to Florida in Hurricane Season, getting about from New Caledonia to Seattle is another story. Because the Pacific trip is dramatically longer, you are outside of any weather forecast. Even carrying my GO device and getting weather along the way, does not assure being able to dodge the storms.
In your judgment, which I tend to agree with, the passage to Seattle is too much for this time of year. What is your opinion on November or early December to Hawaii?
Old 30-10-2019, 07:17   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery from New Caledonia to Seattle

The fast run to Hawaii is the better option and winter there.. leave the Seattle leg till Spring.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 08:26   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery from New Caledonia to Seattle

Dunno how this fits in with local knowledge but from what I can deduce looking at things, for a mid/late November run going S round the tip of NC then gaining as much Easting as fast as possible up to at least American Samoa will just about clear one out of the storm belt before it really sets in..
But hey.. only been down there once so what do I know

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 09:46   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
In your judgment, which I tend to agree with, the passage to Seattle is too much for this time of year. What is your opinion on November or early December to Hawaii?
What he said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The fast run to Hawaii is the better option and winter there.. leave the Seattle leg till Spring.
But even that is going to take a good master, crew and some planning. And the later it gets.....

Also this means the master and crew will likely be at sea for Christmas. Most guys would choose to be with family and friends than on a delivery.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 10:46   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Dunno how this fits in with local knowledge but from what I can deduce looking at things, for a mid/late November run going S round the tip of NC then gaining as much Easting as fast as possible up to at least American Samoa will just about clear one out of the storm belt before it really sets in..
But hey.. only been down there once so what do I know
Thanks for your continued insightful comments.

I have an offer in hand to deliver to Hawaii from Andrea Ciotoli of Delivery Captain.
https://www.delivery-captain.com

Does anyone here know of him, or can say anything good or bad about him? Of course I would call all references, but the thing about references in no skipper would share references from deliveries that went poorly.
Old 30-10-2019, 15:02   #30

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
What makes you think a Dec North Pacific gale will be downwind
Willing skipper or not, it is your boat and your insurance company.
The Pilot Charts (12NPPC), experience, and the ability to use boat speed to position well in advance of the lows (approaching from astern) to stay downwind (as another poster said). The Hanse can run at 9 to 11 knots in these conditions. The chances to get in on one weather pattern are very good.

Of the three route options, southerly (boatman), Hawaii more direct, and northerly: The southerly route is traditional, but it's way longer, southern cyclone season is approaching, and it requires a lot of beating to windward. It offers good stops, but the OP wants a delivery, not stops. Via Hawaii also requires a beating, a higher chance of motoring in no wind, but it's warmer.

The northerly route, colder, and breezier. Little chance of beating to windward - less than 10% by the Pilot Chart. Cool temps are not a problem IMO, espec. when running. I'd rather be running in force 7, half a dozen turns in the Genoa, triple reef steadying main, making 10+ knots, or reaching well eased in a force 6, than beating in force 3 or 4 making 6- knots if lucky.

That said, I'm told these new boats like the Hanse go to windward with less discomfort and wear than those of bygone years. I'd seek more advice on that. But it's still not as easy as as running.

The one other issue I'd have with the Northerly route is in relation to the shipping lanes. Ships can be stressful IMHO. It's been a few years for me - I'm not sure how busy the lanes in this region are these days. I'd take advice, but the answer to that one is to stay as clear as possible, always use the radar and AIS, and thorough watch keeping = less ability to be safe and shorthanded.

The forgoing assumes a November December trip. I think the same advice would apply to April/May - but would double check.

I'm pretty solid in this opinion/preference, but as always, open to other informed viewpoints/discussion.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, delivery, New Caledonia, seattle