Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2019, 14:46   #61

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD
Re: A New Twist I Think

I've been quite overwhelmed here. If you want to contact me about this opportunity, please Private Message me here rather than just posting to the thread. Thank you. (this includes people who have posted here but to whom I've not yet replied).
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 14:56   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
Good on you, great idea.
Maybe you could consider some sort of “paying it forward” arrangement in the contract, so the folks who end up with your boat don’t just turn around and sell it.
Would probably help filter out the users as well...

It's certainly a thought.
Old 09-02-2019, 15:07   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaleo View Post
Just a suggestion from an expat in Ecuador: you may want to edit your post to Salinas, Guayaquil, or Manta instead of Quito, which is inland. Also, just FYI and for others considering Ecuador; the government considers yachts as being owned only by the wealthy and charges an exorbitant import duty on them if they are kept here longer than the 3 month temporary visa. Much of its income comes from the aduana on imports, especially due to its poor quality oil and current decrease in production as well as its enormous civil service.

Good points. Thank you. Obviously, like any other country, I'm going to have to do some thorough research before entering. This forum appears to be a great source.
Old 09-02-2019, 15:11   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I think this is a great idea!

Obviously the devil is in the details, the key one being establishing compatibility before shoving off. I think local cruising at the outset is wise but I would vet your candidates beforehand very carefully, and ask for character references. Not so much out of concern for honesty but rather adaptability, flexibility, emotional intelligence and the other factors that bear on sharing a small space long term.

I’ve had some bad experiences with crew and they did not surface until they were on the boat. Anger management issues etc. the last thing you want is to waste a summer finding out the hard way that you picked the wrong couple.

I wish you luck. I do agree that five years is a long time for this project but maybe you’ll find the right couple. I’ll be pulling for you.

Thanks for this. I'll keep it in mind.
Old 09-02-2019, 15:19   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan Z View Post
What a wonderful opportunity for a worthy couple: lifelong friendship, adventure, learning experience and possibly, topped off with ownership of a beautiful ship! Wish I was younger.
After growing up sailing, I had to wait till my kids grew up before being able to afford sailing myself. Now I own a 28footer that I solo sail and learn most things the hard way🤔.

Thank you! Enjoy!
Old 09-02-2019, 15:21   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonleeau View Post
Good luck to you. Great idea and I hope it works out. Would love to hear of your adventures!! Look us us when you are in Oz or South east Asia.

It might be a while - but thank you!
Old 10-02-2019, 03:20   #67

Why is a single person is not qualified? Could you explain? What is required from a couple in exchange?
ak08820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 15:26   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak08820 View Post
Why is a single person is not qualified? Could you explain? What is required from a couple in exchange?

1. I've found on long passages (and crossing the Pacific could take a month) it is MUCH easier to have three watchkeepers than two.
2. There's a queen-sized bed (for the couple) and a quarter berth (for me). Other arrangements would be awkward and/or inconvenient.
3. It's the way I've decided I want to do it. It's my boat and my idea. If you are looking to crew as a single, there are lots of opportunities out there.

Good luck!
Old 15-02-2019, 18:54   #69

Hi Bill,

My partner and I are in Victoria. I'm in my 40's and at the university in a research position in computer science, but could potentially leave for an extended cruise, as could my partner. I've done a pacific crossing in a 36 foot boat in the past, my partner has done only local sailing trips. I own a pinky schooner, but it is not a suitable ocean boat and I am getting ready to list her for sale with the intention to upgrade eventually to something I can do some longer term cruising on. Although your original offer is fantastic, I'm really more interested in some additional ocean passage sailing experience than I am a 5 year commitment so if you'd like to start with some local sailing or a passage down to California or Mexico and re-evaluate from there please let me know!

Derek
derekja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 18:00   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekja View Post
Hi Bill,

My partner and I are in Victoria. I'm in my 40's and at the university in a research position in computer science, but could potentially leave for an extended cruise, as could my partner. I've done a pacific crossing in a 36 foot boat in the past, my partner has done only local sailing trips. I own a pinky schooner, but it is not a suitable ocean boat and I am getting ready to list her for sale with the intention to upgrade eventually to something I can do some longer term cruising on. Although your original offer is fantastic, I'm really more interested in some additional ocean passage sailing experience than I am a 5 year commitment so if you'd like to start with some local sailing or a passage down to California or Mexico and re-evaluate from there please let me know!

Derek

Hi Derek,
An interesting idea - just crewing for portions - but I've seen too many guys, in Mexico and elsewhere, stranded after their partners have left. Admittedly that could happen to me even if we agree to do the five years and do some sailing around here first, but I'm trying to load the dice in my favour. Anyway, if you are just looking for a crew berth, either down the coast or across the Pacific, there are lots of opportunities available.

Take care and good luck.
-Bill
Old 17-02-2019, 19:20   #71
Marine Service Provider

put the boat in a trust. make the crew trustees. when you resign as managing director the boat basically goes to the trustees
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 11:52   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmf View Post
put the boat in a trust. make the crew trustees. when you resign as managing director the boat basically goes to the trustees

Good idea! Thanks.
Old 18-02-2019, 19:59   #73
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I applaud you Bill for thinking outside the box and from my early days towing boom sticks past Lund, brought back fond memories of the hotel bar.

If I understand correctly the goal is to guarantee loyalty and commitment by offering this balloon payment of title to the boat when finished with your cruising.

Great idea but maybe there is another way to do this plus give you some added support and enjoyment from two trainable crew who see this as an incredible windfall after 5 years.

I am thinking qualified Filipino crew, preferably related to each other, but not necessarily married.
The woman has nursing degree, domestic helper experience and is very personable as a companion.

The man has technical training and skills to complement your own and both are very comfortable on the water.

Filipinos are very family oriented and treat elders with a great deal of respect as well as being far more accepting of age differences .

They are spread all over the world as Overseas workers and when in a new Port, the benefits of their underground network, gets you direct contact with suppliers and services at better value. As a Superyacht captain, I often sent my Filipino crew out to get local knowledge from thier compatriots.

Fun and happy by nature, I can think of no better crew and what you offer is of far greater percieved value to their future, than to a western couple.

I have had my own extended Filipino family on board for many years. (14)
In reality, they will be the beneficiaries of my assetts, when I move on... Just not needed to formalize it

Far less "recreational complaining" than you get from Westerners, when travelling 3rd world and they do teach you to be patient..

Just another thought!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 12:44   #74

51 yo couple, Retired, have some passive income. We are near you from our home in Montana.

What a great plan, and a lovely legacy.

I would love to meet up, its just a day or two drive from here...
Leland H. is offline   Reply With Quote