Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2010, 07:40   #1

Trip to Chagos?

Hi

As a freelance author I follow the story of the Chagos Archipelago since quite a few years (Diego Garcia, deportation of the Ilois...). I have been to Mauritius and interviewed Ilois, but I have never been to the Archipelago. Within the next 12 or so months I would like to go to there to join researchers who are studying the marine wildlife.

Due to the restrictions I don't get a permission to enter the BIOT through Diego Garcia, which leaves for me a trip by yacht as the only way to go there.

So right now I have only a very simple question: Anyone planning to sail to Chagos in 2010 or 2011, having space for two people (photogapher and me)?

Thanks

Chribi
Chribi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 20:08   #2

Most yachts leave Langkawi - Malaysia or Phuket - Thailand at the beginning of the year and stay on Chagos for the whole of the remainder of the NE Monsoon leaving at beginning of the SW monsoon. So if you were fortunate enough to get a ride on a yacht you would be stuck in Chagos, until someone would agree to give you a lift to another destination. Therefore for whatever reason you have to or wish to leave Chagos, there is no guarantee that someone will come to your rescue. The authorities will not! Researchers (if any at the moment) do not generally welcome 'guests'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	12785  
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 21:55   #3

I thought the "authorities" regularly patrol to collect taxes.And if they found someone living onshore they might get upset.If that person could not remove themselves promptly they might get taken into custody.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 02:15   #4

In fact the British authorities make regular visits to collect fees, examine permits authorizing the yacht and its crew to visit the BIOT. Authorized persons may go on shore in terms of the rules :-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rules1.JPG
Views:	551
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	12789  
Old 24-01-2010, 02:28   #5

So Chribi,
If you still want to go you have 2 options :-
One :
Buy a boat - apply to the Foreign Office in London for a permit. And go.

2nd. Option:-

Fly to the Maldives and there charter a boat, before leaving, apply to the Foreign Office for a permit for the boat, the charter crew and yourselves. Then proceed to Chagos in terms of the permit's restrictions.
The latter option the cheapest and the most practical.
Old 24-01-2010, 05:38   #6

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
I don't think he intends to stay, there aren't any locals apart from the military personnel and bombers anyway

I would suggest you go to the cruiserlog.com crewfinder.
Old 24-01-2010, 11:10   #7

Boat: a sailing boat
I do not know if you will have much opportunity to study marine wildlife there, but will have the chance to study the cruising wildlife and its impact on the marine/atoll wildlife life.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 15:39   #8

The Chagossian people are actively fighting for the right to return to these islands from which they were illegally exiled 40 years ago. Many of the scientists you refer to are actively fighting to prevent any kind of meaningful resettlement. The case will be heard by the European Court of Human Rights this summer. Whose side are you on and why should I help you?

PB
Peros Banhos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 15:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
I don't think he intends to stay, there aren't any locals apart from the military personnel and bombers anyway
In the locations that visiting recreational sailboats may visit, there are no military personnel or bombers - these are situated some 100nm to the south on Diego Garcia Atol.
Old 24-01-2010, 16:08   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I do not know if you will have much opportunity to study marine wildlife there, but will have the chance to study the cruising wildlife and its impact on the marine/atoll wildlife life.

b.
Barnakiel, love the new addition to our nautical lexicon "Cruising Wildlife"

The presence of the few cruisers that visit the northern atols of Peros Banos and Salomon actually contribute a positive impact on the marine life, insofar as they are able to report to the authorities on any illegal fishing, especially the killing of sharks for the fins by boats collecting fin for the Far East trade.
Old 25-01-2010, 04:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
Most yachts leave Langkawi - Malaysia or Phuket - Thailand at the beginning of the year and stay on Chagos for the whole of the remainder of the NE Monsoon leaving at beginning of the SW monsoon. So if you were fortunate enough to get a ride on a yacht you would be stuck in Chagos, until someone would agree to give you a lift to another destination. Therefore for whatever reason you have to or wish to leave Chagos, there is no guarantee that someone will come to your rescue. The authorities will not! Researchers (if any at the moment) do not generally welcome 'guests'.
Thank you. I am aware of the situation, the restrictions, the 'Pacific Marlin', the fees and what ever makes a trip to Chagos more complicated for a non-yacht-owner (in combination of being a journalist). I am also in touch with the scientist in charge, so I am aware when they are out there and when not - and of courdse I will not sail some thousand miles without knowing that I am welcomed. I know I have to put a puzzle together, and I hope that a posting in this forum might bring me one step forward.
Old 25-01-2010, 04:24   #12

Sounds good. Thanks for help. I appreciate. Are you by incidence aware of reliable yacht charteres on the Maldives?
Old 25-01-2010, 04:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peros Banhos View Post
The Chagossian people are actively fighting for the right to return to these islands from which they were illegally exiled 40 years ago. Many of the scientists you refer to are actively fighting to prevent any kind of meaningful resettlement. The case will be heard by the European Court of Human Rights this summer. Whose side are you on and why should I help you?

PB
Hmm. I wrote some articles about the history of the Ilois and their fight in swiss and german newspapers. I was on Mauritius to do the interviews, I follow this topic for about ten years, I tried to get on the boat which left Mauritius a couple of years ago with Ilois (but I was rejected), and I think my heart beats for the right side. I am also aware of the possible conflicts with nature a resettlement could provoque. BUT: As to my knowledge, the plans for resettlement do forsee a sustainable way of returning to Chagos, including taking care for nature and the marine wild life. So if I want to write about the idea of a marine world heritage, it does not mean that I am against a resettlement. On the contrary. I do not only think, I am sure that there is enough space to do both.
Old 25-01-2010, 04:43   #14

If you wish I can put you in touch with a very reliable ship's agent in Male - who in addition to looking after visiting yachts will know of a suitable charterer (if anybody does) Send PM for his email address.
(disclaimer : I have no connection with him)

Tags
Chagos