Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2016, 07:25   #1

Help Needed: Sailing Southside Beach, Bells Beach Victoria Tips?

Hi everyone !

I would like to fly back to Aus in few weeks and let Monty (for the ones who know him here on the forum) free over there sailing the bay where his mum is resting.

So Here I am to check if anyone has some tips and advice to charter and sail around Southside Beach, Jarosite Rd., Bells Beach Victoria Australia in a month or two.

Thanks and cheers !
Jen.
Sephina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 15:58   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
re: Help Needed: Sailing Southside Beach, Bells Beach Victoria Tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephina View Post
Hi everyone !

I would like to fly back to Aus in few weeks and let Monty (for the ones who know him here on the forum) free over there sailing the bay where his mum is resting.

So Here I am to check if anyone has some tips and advice to charter and sail around Southside Beach, Jarosite Rd., Bells Beach Victoria Australia in a month or two.

Thanks and cheers !
Jen.
Hi Jen

I am not aware of any yacht charters in that area of Bass Strait. That patch to the west of the entrance to Port Phillip is an unprotected stretch of water and conditions can at times be ferocious with little available shelter. Great surfing, but not a good cruising area.

If you wish to scatter the ashes at sea, Torquay sailing club has small cats for hire off the beach. Monty's family are also likely to know someone with a tinnie (trailerable fishing boat) that could be taken out when conditions were good.

Best wishes,
Angela

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 16:20   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Help Needed: Sailing Southside Beach, Bells Beach Victoria Tips?

Jen, I have moved this from "Indian Ocean" to the "Pacific" section in destinations. Not perfect, but the best I can find. The section labelled "Other" is rarely used, so it is less good.

Hopefully someone with a yacht kept at Queenscliff or Blairgowrie will see this thread and may be able to take you out into Bass Strait for a day trip.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:12   #4

No worries , thank you Angela !

Monty once reply to a post here in the forum :

"Favourite wind speed : 10-20 from any direction. Over that the boat noises tend to drown out the acoustic guitar sounds. No need for reefing or keeping an eye on the spinnaker and boat speeds usually 6-8kt. Sweet spot, maybe 15. Some days sailing in 15 with pretty flat water I comment that I wish we could just sail right round the world like this..
Add no adverse current and blue skies and the occasional fish hookup and we're good to go!"
Monty.

So my idea was to charter a cat over there, and wait for this perfect weather conditions go offshore (around 50ish miles I'll say) come back and Drop the anchor near by for few days...
I have been downloading the chart on navionics for this area and indeed it doesn't look like a good cruising area. I should known , I don't remember seeing many boats anchored there.

Anyway, maybe I charter a boat, if I find one and go offshore for few days with a skipper if I need to. But not sure if I'll find the right weather there....

[emoji223][emoji252]
Sephina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:56   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I remember that post, it wasn't that long ago.
But it stuck in my memory as I can hear and feel it, but I want to be one a reach
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing