Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2015, 20:35   #1

Hong Kong - Taiwan - Japan?

Hi all,

I'm planning to sail from Hong Kong to Japan via Taiwan in a 45 ft steel yacht and would greatly appreciate any advice on the best route to take, weather and timing issues. I understand that the China coast between Hong Kong and Taiwan can be treacherous (I don't plan to go to port in China if I can avoid it, the costs being so high). Also, I've heard that the NE monsoon may create difficulties along that route until around May, and there are of course typhoons to worry about in summer and autumn.

I'd be happy to head from Hong Kong to the Philippines and back up to Taiwan if that would help resolve some of these issues.

I'd prefer to start the trip during the spring if possible, but timing is flexible, as is duration.

As for sailing in Taiwan, I'd very much appreciate any recommendations for (affordable) sailing destinations on and routes around the island. I've visited Taiwan on a number of occasions (although not by sea) and speak a bit of Mandarin, so I should be able to get around OK.

At this stage, the Japan leg of the trip is very much a half-formed plan needing a lot more research. The basic idea is to island-hop to Honshu, cruise the Inland Sea and perhaps head up to Hokkaido.

Thanks very much in advance for your thoughts.

Cheers,

HJD
hjd6170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 04:32   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hong Kong - Taiwan - Japan?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, HJD.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 04:44   #3

Thanks, GordMay! I'm looking forward to getting involved and communicating with the people on here. Seems like a great community.
hjd6170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 17:44   #4

Hi,
are you in Japan now? what is next?
PiedsLibres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 23:49   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts Norfolk 43'

Hi HJD,

We are planning this exact same route on a similar boat (43' steel boat) for next spring. Did you do this trip and, if so, any advice that you could pass our way?

Cheers,
KJA
Wildhop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan