Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Indian Ocean & Red Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2018, 13:19   #241
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Island Visitor Killed by World's Most Isolated Tribe

I'm so surprised this thread is still open. Some higher or lower power must be at work.
Old 25-11-2018, 13:26   #242

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
For over four decades, the Institute for Creation Research has equipped believers with evidence of the Bible's accuracy and authority through scientific research, educational programs, and media presentations, all conducted within a thoroughly biblical framework.
It’s just another example of circular reasoning.

I really don’t care what KJB and his/her ilk believe. But when (s)he starts making false claims, I feel compelled to step in. Although, we are living in the world of "alternative facts", so I shouldn’t be surprised...

I do wish the societal discussion would turn to those who radicalized this fellow such that he was willing to commit suicide for his fantastical beliefs. We are so quick to see the danger in more foreign religions (i.e. Muslim), but when it is all around us, we somehow give it a pass.
Old 25-11-2018, 13:41   #243

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingRyder View Post
Theism speaks to belief, gnosticism speak to knowledge, they aren't interchangeable. Here is a simple diagram to explain it for you.

https://www.atheistrev.com/2011/09/a...ic-i-both.html

You are misguided as to what atheism and agnosticism actually mean.
Interesting link. Thanks for posting that. I'm usually of a mind that labels only serve to divide us but in this case I'm going to have to label myself an agnostic atheist.
Old 25-11-2018, 14:05   #244

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in SG View Post
Remarkable restraint by the moderators, presumably because nobody has lost their temper. The argument about dictionary definitions of atheism is worthy of a scene in "Life of Brian" (if you know the classic, you will understand, if you don't, never mind).

I prefer to get back to cruising and follow up my previous post with a couple of screenshots of N Sentinel from OpenCPN. Clearly the island was mapped by the Brits who gave it cuddly names like Allen Point (did Mr Allen survive?). There's even a hint of an anchorage. I'm not blaming the charts but it makes me realize the importance of good prior research. As another contributor said - it only takes a few minutes to find warnings about N Sentinel on noonsite - but I admit that I have always been more diligent researching prohibited areas in busy harbours than in isolated island chains.
What I found most interesting of all about this post is that apparently, that the C-maps do not mention the exclusion zone. Possibly because ships don't go there. If one's only source were Open CPN and C-maps, you could go there without knowing about the zone. So, one lesson here is that one needs to look deeper than just Open CPN. In the object query comments, something should have been mentioned.

The Indian gov't has sent people to try and retrieve Mr. Chau's body, in spite of this from his will, “Don’t retrieve my body,” he wrote, underlining it. “This is not a pointless thing — the eternal lives of this tribe is at hand.”

It sorta seems as if Mr. Chau's thought was that his corpus delecti staying on the island would affect "the eternal lives" of the whole tribe. Perhaps, knowing that they were vulnerable to his germs, by epidemic. If that were the level of his thought, it would be really evil. Forget obeying laws, but intentionally committing genocide? Really? Holey Moley!

A.
Old 25-11-2018, 14:07   #245
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Island Visitor Killed by World's Most Isolated Tribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Don't worry, boatman. According to the highly redacted, re-edited, revised and unconfirmed scraps claiming to be the Old Testament, and the cleverly seeded fake archaeological findings from the time of the Temples, all predating that Joshua fellow that the Romans renamed (and whose followers oddly chose to follow the bastard Romanization of the name)...the fellow that was recognized as the central player in the Old Testament went on record as saying he was ONE AMONG MANY GODS. And that he wasn't omnipresent at all, either, i.e. he made a special effort to go into the neighboring deities' territory when he told Joseph to "go down into Egypt and I shall go with you". (Good thing there were no TSA checks back then, huh?)
He was just one among many, and he had this one territory over in this one spot, and his followers simply made a bargain of "you do for me and I'll do for you" while ignoring the comings and goings of all the other gods and their followers.
But of course, the followers of latter day religions don't really teach their young to make a critical reading of the texts, so that part of things tends to get glossed over.

On the other hand, be advised that "Mormons" is now formally a slur. The new president of that sect has said "Don't use 'Mormon' or 'LDS' as church name". While he concedes "Both terms have been used for decades to refer to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" he's even said there will be no more "Mormon Tabernacle Choir", they're gonna need new embroidery as well. No exceptions.

How did mankind ever make it through the first quarter million years?

Mike-
Here's a quick litmus test to find out if someone really has studied (as opposed to glossing through the pictures) the Old or New Testament. Ask them if they know about the ten commandments, like the one that says "Thou shalt not kill." If they say "Sure" then they're unlearned. There's no such commandment. The original text says "Thou shalt not murder." and yes, the two words were and are the same very different meaning as they are today. King Jame's crew apparently screwed that one up, too.
Makes me laugh when some school or government official protests because "they won't let us post a copy of the ten commandments!" when, inevitably, they're posting a copy of maybe nine of them, and a statement of ignorance on the tenth.
Then again, since the whole book was just oral tradition for a couple of thousand (?) years, followed by four major redactions by four major power shifts, it is surprising that "In the beginning" even survived.
Not worried in the least mate..
Lived 2 forms of muslim, buddhist, hindu, a dash of jain and 2 forms of christian so far..
Reckon most of my bases are covered..
Did rather like sufism

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
Old 25-11-2018, 14:26   #246

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Holy thread drift, Batman! The fact is, the guy was an idiot. He converted nobody except himself. To a "martyr", poked full of arrow holes. And there was absolutely no reason to believe that it would have worked out any different.
Old 25-11-2018, 14:40   #247
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm so surprised this thread is still open. Some higher or lower power must be at work.
The Mods are waiting for a really juicy target, then they swoop in and kill us all..
Old 25-11-2018, 14:50   #248

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJB View Post
Jesus is the only God that gets such hatred.
So I guess it's safe to be a Muslim now...no hatred there
Old 25-11-2018, 15:18   #249

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
https://www.icr.org/thatsafact
https://www.icr.org/article/hasty-concretion-formation/
https://www.icr.org/article/nebular-...hold-together/

Here's a few to get you rolling. From actual scientists. Recent writings...not ancient scribblings. Happy reading Mike.
https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/...o-generations/

It's a very sad incident all around, Sad the kid was so brainwashed by those he trusted. https://allnations.us

Sad for the tribe who are now possibly exposed to dangerous diseases and even worse more publicity that is likely to entice more people to attempt to convert them or otherwise use them for the benefit of themselves.

The history of missionaries is riddled with deceit and dishonesty. Here in Tasmania the aboriginal people were horribly sold out by a missionary.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geor...ustus_Robinson

I remember sailing past those islands on container ships. The pilot book mentioned something about the tribe. It amazes me that they can live so close to civilization and continue the tradional ways. Good on them, and good on the Indian Government for protecting the island from greedy outsiders. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181126-100655_Earth.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	181284Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181126-100448_Earth.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	181285Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181126-100502_Earth.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	181286
Old 25-11-2018, 15:31   #250

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/...o-generations/

It's a very sad incident all around, Sad the kid was so brainwashed by those he trusted. https://allnations.us

Sad for the tribe who are now possibly exposed to dangerous diseases and even worse more publicity that is likely to entice more people to attempt to convert them or otherwise use them for the benefit of themselves.

The history of missionaries is riddled with deceit and dishonesty. Here in Tasmania the aboriginal people were horribly sold out by a missionary.
Exactly. Happened everywhere religion zealots intruded to “share” their One Truth. Sadly, is still happening .
Old 25-11-2018, 15:41   #251

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
The 10 Commandments are said in the Bible to be written on the hearts of mankind. If no Creator, then why do we have a moral code? No one ever had to tell any of us that lying, cheating, lusting, murder, adultery and thievery are wrong. That knowledge comes natural. Evolution has no answer for that. If a moral code that all the worlds inhabitants adhere to is real (and it is), then where did that come from? It would not come from an evolutionary process.

What do animals do that is sinful, as they are not guided by religion? My moral code comes from my inherent natural belief, as a human, that I should behave in a way that is not damaging to other humans, or the environment. I would like humans to continue to exist, as I am a human. I am also religious.
Old 25-11-2018, 15:47   #252
KJB

Boat: Mason 38 CC Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
What do animals do that is sinful, as they are not guided by religion? My moral code comes from my inherent natural belief, as a human, that I should behave in a way that is not damaging to other humans, or the environment. I would like humans to continue to exist, as I am a human. I am also religious.
I really have to say that, the absolute arrogance (rhymes with ignorance) I have read on this thread so far...is mind staggering! This may be the most out there. When did I ever bring animals into the equation?

As far as your "inherent natural belief", that is what I already stated.
Old 25-11-2018, 15:56   #253

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
I really have to say that, the absolute arrogance (rhymes with ignorance) I have read on this thread so far...is mind staggering! This may be the most out there. When did I ever bring animals into the equation?

As far as your "inherent natural belief", that is what I already stated.

Well, first off when you diatribed about there being no evidence of evolution.

And, don't take this personally, humans are animals. Members of the order primates, class mammalia.
Old 25-11-2018, 16:02   #254

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
+1
Old 25-11-2018, 16:05   #255
KJB

Boat: Mason 38 CC Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Well, first off when you diatribed about there being no evidence of evolution.

And, don't take this personally, humans are animals. Members of the order primates, class mammalia.
According to who?

I realize that many on this thread have stated that Christians are not welcome in this world. I do understand their reasoning...we remind them that they are sinners bound for judgment unless they repent. We remind them of their duty to their Creator. We remind them to treat all men equally, regardless of race, social or economic status. We remind them of their guilt and sin, as they run about mocking, lying about and trampling under foot the righteousness of Christ. To be blunt, we remind them that are under obligation to their Lord, howbeit if by their own will, not their Savior.

Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. 21But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 22Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 23For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 24Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 25Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 26To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.
Closed Thread

Tags
rib