Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Indian Ocean & Red Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2011, 12:34   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
BBC reporting this evening (Mon 31st) that the Army isn't going to interfere with the protesters if they remain civil. Also 800 soldiers sent to Sham El Skeikh presumably to protect the tourist industry there. However, it has meant Egyptian Army has now entered the Sinai. Interesting I thought I saw soldiers guarding both sides of the Suez when we travelled through 3 years ago.

I suspect the danger to travellers is from the lack of law and order so greater risk of street crime rather than against foreigners per se. That would include sailors in the area.

Closer to home you know they are going to be speculating on oil, will fill the car up tomorrow.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 15:44   #47

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
US State Department is advising people to leave while they can according to articles in My Fox Atlanta and the UK Daily Mail. The Canadians are also advising citizens to contact the embassy and make arrangements to leave. The first Canadians were wheels up about 20-25 minutes ago. According to people interviewed, Mubarak has imposed a curfew and they have been told power and water will be off tonite. Also comments about the absence of police on the streets and the local citizens are arming with clubs and knives because a large number of prisoners were set loose and are adding to the confusion.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 16:06   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
didn't want to use the e word,so as to be non provocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
If you don't mind, I'd like to make a distinction between fundamentalist and extremist. I don't particularly see a problem with fundamentalism, per se. Amish are fundamentalist but not extremist. Similar examples can be found elsewhere. So, if the uprising was in part caused by, is supported by or will primarily benefit fundamentalists, I don't see this as a problem -- unless they are extremist. That said, I think the BBC and NPR have pretty decent coverage on how this has pretty strong economic roots.

Finally, I got a call from a friend of mine early this morning. He's in the Gulf of Suez and heading North. No troubles as far as he knows.

thanks for the heads up maren,when i posted the thread was trying to be non provocative ,as this can be a heated topic for some.

the gist was more about cruising in these places,and potential nastyness effecting foreigners,having had first hand experiance of some very nasty civil wars in africa............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:06   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Egypt's Vice President Omar Suleiman said in a televised statement that President Hosni Mubarak had bowed to pressure from the street and resigned, handing power to the army.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:13   #50

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma
The images and sounds of elation in the streets of Cairo brings me to tears. The people of Egypt have successfully overthrown their dictator with peaceful protest. What an inspiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers
meburma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:41   #51

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburma View Post
The images and sounds of elation in the streets of Cairo brings me to tears. The people of Egypt have successfully overthrown their dictator with peaceful protest. What an inspiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers

I've spent a lot of time in Egypt. Is the Military any better? How long before the military rule is then overthrown by the Muslim Brotherhood? Will they be as welcoming of the western nationals most of us are?

It's a bad scene getting worse.

Pitty really, lot's of wonderful people there just trying to live their lives.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:44   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
praise be to allah,to all my egyptian friends.

i hope this brings in a new era of prosperity and peace in the region,

and continue with the sustainable developement of what is still one of the pristine parts of the world.

habibi
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:00   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

A little message from Mubarak and Co to everyone out there....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:09   #54

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
It is very interesting to live in a time when, through the internets global freedom of information, the people of the world are rising up to overthrough govenments that don't truely represent them.
You have got to wonder, what's next?
Oh wait a minute... I just read that the Untied States Congress has only a 23% approval rating.
OOOOPS!
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:23   #55
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

[QUOTE=Liam Wald;617587]It is very interesting to live in a time when, through the internets global freedom of information, the people of the world are rising up to overthrough govenments that don't truely represent them.
You have got to wonder, what's next?
QUOTE]

The Yemen....

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:21   #56

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
I wonder if this will result in an end to the rampant corruption Fatty Goodlander spoke of during his Suez Canal transit. It seems to have really irked him- he's written of it three times.

http://fattygoodlander.com/suez_canal_corruption
Old 12-02-2011, 11:09   #57
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednotzee View Post
I wonder if this will result in an end to the rampant corruption Fatty Goodlander spoke of during his Suez Canal transit. It seems to have really irked him- he's written of it three times.

Cap'n Fatty - Corruption & Bribery in the Suez Canal
Well if the people get what they want which is a fair days pay for a days labour it should improve a bit... there'll always be those on the make in these countries.. its almost like tipping a waiter in a way as in many cases its very much a hand to mouth existance... hopefully the new pride and idealism will drive a lot of it out
Portugals minimum wage is around 500euro/mth... $675.... and the bulk of people live on this.. some less... Egypts a hell of a lot worse

Old 12-02-2011, 11:40   #58

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
This doesn't sound like the normal bribe to, um "facilitate" the process- he writes of hundreds of dollars in supposed Canal charges, coupled with the threat of ramming your boat if you don't pay.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:11   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburma View Post
Um, they have what there now? Rioting in the streets and power and water going off soon, if its not already off?

We might hold off on our all joining hands and singing Kum By Yaah until the new boss proves better than the old boss...

After all, Hitler brought change to Germany, Kim Jong Il brought change to North Korea. Castro brought change to Cuba, and Ayatolla Kholmeni brought change to Iran. Liberty as a whole has not been growing in the world in the past few decades, it has been shrinking.

It seems as likely to me that they will end up with sharia law there rather than any kind of actual Liberty. Of all the possible outcomes, it seems less than 50/50 odds that things will be better for the average person there, and only a remote chance of actual Liberty taking hold there.
Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:21   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsy View Post
Um, they have what there now? Rioting in the streets and power and water going off soon, if its not already off?

We might hold off on our all joining hands and singing Kum By Yaah until the new boss proves better than the old boss...

After all, Hitler brought change to Germany, Kim Jong Il brought change to North Korea. Castro brought change to Cuba, and Ayatolla Kholmeni brought change to Iran. Liberty as a whole has not been growing in the world in the past few decades, it has been shrinking.

It seems as likely to me that they will end up with sharia law there rather than any kind of actual Liberty. Of all the possible outcomes, it seems less than 50/50 odds that things will be better for the average person there, and only a remote chance of actual Liberty taking hold there.
I guess my censored internet, and the lackeys of the CIA (al jazeera, fox, cnn bbc ) are giving a different picture of the events at this moment. No rioting in the streets, Jubilation? yea.. and people cleaning up after the CELEBRATION. Am I really getting the information wrong? Can you please identify your sources?

Technology has enabled people to communicate, and dictators use the inability of free communication to rule by fear and intimidation. In my opinion, the world is getting better.....
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Egypt, Tunisia