Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2019, 18:28   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
San Luis Obispo?

Hey what’s the deal with SLO? Google maps shows a lot of moored/anchored boats there but I don’t see a dinghy dock or anything. Do people live aboard out there? Doesn’t look like much of an anchorage.
Old 15-06-2019, 23:26   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: San Luis Obispo?

Well... when you say San Luis Obispo, since it is inland, I'm not sure if you are referring to Morro Bay or Port San Luis, when it comes to an anchorage. I am guessing the latter. Until someone more local there chimes in, it has been quite a while since I sailed in and out of Port San Luis, which I believe what you are looking at, but while I don't recall a dinghy dock per se, it was easy to get in and out at the boatyard or the beach. Years ago I hauled my boat there and stayed for a couple weeks. I don't recall anyone living aboard in the anchorage, though it's possible I guess. It's just that in the winter it's not as safe and not too comfortable with weather coming up from the south. In the typical spring/summer/fall weather it is a great place to anchor and it used to be the best deal around for hauling out to get some work done on the boat. Are you planning to do some sailing around there?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 06:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well... when you say San Luis Obispo, since it is inland, I'm not sure if you are referring to Morro Bay or Port San Luis, when it comes to an anchorage. I am guessing the latter. Until someone more local there chimes in, it has been quite a while since I sailed in and out of Port San Luis, which I believe what you are looking at, but while I don't recall a dinghy dock per se, it was easy to get in and out at the boatyard or the beach. Years ago I hauled my boat there and stayed for a couple weeks. I don't recall anyone living aboard in the anchorage, though it's possible I guess. It's just that in the winter it's not as safe and not too comfortable with weather coming up from the south. In the typical spring/summer/fall weather it is a great place to anchor and it used to be the best deal around for hauling out to get some work done on the boat. Are you planning to do some sailing around there?
Yeah, I guess I am talking about Port San Luis. Seems like Morro Bay would be the safer anchorage but I've been in there and it's not very nice. I think they've experienced the same live aboard crackdown the rest of CA has. Not planning on doing any cruising there but there are so few anchorages on the CA coast I was just curious about it.
Old 17-06-2019, 09:03   #4

In Channel Islands Harbor, where I am, the limit is 35' and above for liveaboard, except for one marina, and I think there may a few of those available. For year-round anchorages where you can live aboard? Well, there is Richardson Bay in SF Bay. You may have seen that in the news lately.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 17-06-2019, 09:05   #5

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

The last time I was there, in 2013, there was no dinghy dock, but you could tie to the pier and use the ladder.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 09:20   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I want to say the watermaker guy Cruise RO was around there for awhile
Old 17-06-2019, 09:33   #7

Yeah, Rich on S/V Third Day, hailed from Morro Bay I believe. Rich? You out there?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 18-06-2019, 08:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
In Channel Islands Harbor, where I am, the limit is 35' and above for liveaboard, except for one marina, and I think there may a few of those available. For year-round anchorages where you can live aboard? Well, there is Richardson Bay in SF Bay. You may have seen that in the news lately.
I love Channel Island Harbor. We lived in the Silverstrand for a 3 month travel nursing assignment in 2015 and met some friendly boaters who took us out to Annacapa. That and Ventura are really fun little harbors and outside of the LA BS.
Old 18-06-2019, 09:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
I love Channel Island Harbor. We lived in the Silverstrand for a 3 month travel nursing assignment in 2015 and met some friendly boaters who took us out to Annacapa. That and Ventura are really fun little harbors and outside of the LA BS.
Yeah, but don't tell anyone, ok?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37