Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2019, 14:35   #1

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Kauehi Atoll

Some of you have been here and this will bring forth golden memories. Others are on their way and this is something to look forward to. This is a story from our website svcapri.com

here's the link to the story about Kauehi Atoll - as close to paradise as you can come

https://svcapri.com/2019/06/13/kauehi/

hope you enjoy the pics and videos. heres an appetizer:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1708.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	193974  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 18:00   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Kauehi Atoll

Carsten,

The language of the forum is English. Google did not offer to translate for me, and I don't know how to take it from Danish to English. Could you please give me some clues?

Thank you very much.

It was lovely to see, but from the shore looking out, it could really be just one of many lovely atolls.

Ann
Old 15-06-2019, 18:18   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Kauehi was our first landfall in the Tuamotus, way back in 1987, and that memory lingers on as one of the best in all our years of cruising. I suspect that it has changed... no pear farming then... but I bet it is still wonderful.

I built an antenna for the Mayor's SSB radio so he could participate in a French Polynesia Mayor's net that ran then. His name was Xavier, likely no longer with us, but I remember him well. Such good times...

Jim
Old 15-06-2019, 18:30   #4

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

[QUOTE=Jim Cate;2909385]... no pear farming then.../QUOTE]

That the one just east of Fakarava? If so there's none now again either. We called there about six months ago and the village/island appeared to be closed - we saw perhaps a dozen people in two days, most of whom reported that some problem with the lagoon's water had knackered the pearl farming.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 20:02   #5

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Kauehi was our first landfall in the Tuamotus, way back in 1987, and that memory lingers on as one of the best in all our years of cruising. I suspect that it has changed... no pear farming then... but I bet it is still wonderful.

I built an antenna for the Mayor's SSB radio so he could participate in a French Polynesia Mayor's net that ran then. His name was Xavier, likely no longer with us, but I remember him well. Such good times...

Jim

Jim we stopped there for 3 weeks on our way back to Mo’orea after spending the summer in the Tuamotus. The pearl farms are shuttered but there are a number of people catching and growing the new (tiny tiny) oysters which they sell to other atolls.

The village has about 150 people. Really nice folks. It’s probably one of the easier atolls to enter and the route from the pass to the village is clear. In addition they have 6-7 well maintained moorings for yachts to use.

If you stop there and visit the Yips store be sure to ask Mrs Yip to show you her book of jewelry she makes. She sends her necklaces to Papeete where they sells almost as quick as it’s displayed. Simply stunning

Chuck
Jacaranda
Old 15-06-2019, 23:50   #6

Ah, Chuck,

Any pics?

Ann
Old 16-06-2019, 00:03   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

One thing that I especially remember is the church, built of coral limestone blocks and sporting a "rose window", not of stained glass but various bits of turtle shell and other natural "glazing". The acoustics were splendid in that the hard walls were pretty lively and the a capella hymn singing there was just unbelievable. Just remembering it literally sends chills up my spine!

Thanks for the update, Chuck.I'd love to go back again...

Jim
Old 16-06-2019, 13:09   #8

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Carsten,

The language of the forum is English. Google did not offer to translate for me, and I don't know how to take it from Danish to English. Could you please give me some clues?

Thank you very much.

It was lovely to see, but from the shore looking out, it could really be just one of many lovely atolls.

Ann

Ann

my apologies. we have two websites, one in danish and one in english (we have many friends around the world). By being careless, I loaded the one from our danish website. I've now changed the link to the one from our english website. you should be able to read it now. (I can't understand why you don't speak danish - it is one of the worlds foremost languages -ha., ha, ha)

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 16-06-2019, 15:01   #9

Thanks for the translation, Carsten. Boy, you've really gotten tan! And thanks for the stories. Sorry about the cameras. Those dogs may have been pets, but one thing I remember from the Tuamotus is how quiet the dogs are. They learned not to call attention to themselves. At least in the past, dogs were eaten there, and the children treated them cruelly.

Back in the Marquesas, we anchored in Anaho Bay, and hiked (wearing flip flops, not the smartest thing I ever did) to the town with a restaurant, ~ 10 mi. away. We had a magnificent brunch with shrimp omelet, and poisson cru, salad and fresh baguettes....and a looong hike back over the hill to Anaho. Still, it was fun.

The clear starry skies away from civilization are a real treat.

Ann
Old 16-06-2019, 16:07   #10

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Hmmmm.... I think I just added a destination to my itinerary.
Old 16-06-2019, 17:07   #11

@GILow, it's really a very long way upwind to the Tuamotus, but yes, lovely.

Ann
Old 16-06-2019, 22:24   #12

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
@GILow, it's really a very long way upwind to the Tuamotus, but yes, lovely.

Ann
True, but geez I'm seeing a lot of interesting destinations in that part of the world.
Old 16-06-2019, 22:59   #13

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

You guys really piqued my interest, and I found these videos with nice use of the drone.

in case anyone is interested..
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 12:19   #14

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the translation, Carsten. Boy, you've really gotten tan! And thanks for the stories. Sorry about the cameras. Those dogs may have been pets, but one thing I remember from the Tuamotus is how quiet the dogs are. They learned not to call attention to themselves. At least in the past, dogs were eaten there, and the children treated them cruelly.

Back in the Marquesas, we anchored in Anaho Bay, and hiked (wearing flip flops, not the smartest thing I ever did) to the town with a restaurant, ~ 10 mi. away. We had a magnificent brunch with shrimp omelet, and poisson cru, salad and fresh baguettes....and a looong hike back over the hill to Anaho. Still, it was fun.

The clear starry skies away from civilization are a real treat.

Ann
Ann, we made the same walk - a couple of times - yes long and hot - good exercise though. Anaho BAy is a jewel and anyone in this part of the world who doesn't anchor there for a few nights is missing one of the treats of the Marquesas. I think they've pretty much stopped eating dogs - but the dogs here are very friendly and nice

GiLow - it is an uphill slog but there are solutions - go up over the equator and you can make it a i´little easier - if you don't mind strong winds - go east from NZ to Rapitaki, then up to the Gambiers - that is all downhill sailing, but pretty strong winds

Old 18-06-2019, 09:29   #15

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Aahhh, thanks for the glimpse.

It's pictures like these and stories like yours that piqued my interest (some would say obsession) so many years ago.