Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 04:54   #16

Boat: Ericson 27
Re: San Diego to Sea of cortez SLOWLY

hello everyone, and thanks for all the great info. I am excited about the lack of big humanity and the wilderness feeling along the coast. I try to travel in such a way as to be as self suffiecient as I can. But spending more time in those areas that do have people sounds like the highlite for many of you, as it would be for me too. And yes my feeble brain/fingers connection transposed the months of the normal hurricane season (I know June to Nov is the highest hazard period not vice versa...). Since the hurricaines dont like to travel through the cold water of the northern section it seems I could dally there a bit, then high tail it into safer waters before June.
If anyone would like to join me, I probably could use some crew/company from time to time.
cheers and fair winds.
Kyle on No Bad Days
no_bad_days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:04   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

depth considerations for san quintin-- must be less th an 6 ft. is a shallow entrance.
entry to mag bay is 20 miles in length.
cedros--HAVE CASH
turtle bay--- GOOOD CHICKEN, buy in quantity.... fuel 5 dollars per gallon
nsenada--- for a good time and proximity to fish market and cheep fishie tacos-- botes juanitos--also is inexpensive, as compared to the usa run coral, cruiseport and baja naval, which are very pricey at over 300 dollars per week.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:17   #18

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987

And antidote for fish tacos is Cipro, 1g taken at once, if you overdo them. Readily available in Ensenada at reasonable price. Also recommended are inoculations for TDP, Hepatitis A&B, and Typhoid (by WHO).
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:21   #19

had no problems with fish tacos 3 for 2 dollars across from fish market-- but, yes, antibiotics are dirt cheap in ensenada, as with all of mexico.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:41   #20

Just to toss this out there:

If you want some nice cruising grounds with beautiful scenery, remote (and free) anchorages, gorgeous diving, and civilization when/if you want it consider the Channel Islands. A lot of folks think it's boring out there but planning a trip to San Miguel Island from San Diego is much more involved than riding the north westerlies down the coast on a milk run.

Santa Cruz Island has some of the largest sea caves in the world and is over 96 square miles. The diving, fishing, hiking, and boating around there are some of the best in the world.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:13   #21

Boat: Ericson 27

hello again, and again thanks to all for such great info. I was actually planning to do an extended cruise in the Channel islands this summer. At some point I hope to be able to contribute as much as I am gaining from this group.
cheers and fair winds,
Kyle
no_bad_days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 11:32   #22

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Just to toss this out there:

If you want some nice cruising grounds with beautiful scenery, remote (and free) anchorages, gorgeous diving, and civilization when/if you want it consider the Channel Islands. A lot of folks think it's boring out there but planning a trip to San Miguel Island from San Diego is much more involved than riding the north westerlies down the coast on a milk run.

Santa Cruz Island has some of the largest sea caves in the world and is over 96 square miles. The diving, fishing, hiking, and boating around there are some of the best in the world.
True dat. I've been cruising these islands for the past 30+ years and can vouch that they are a little slice of paradise. The solitude is amazing considering LA is a daysail away. I've spoken with circumnavigators who considered the Channel Islands one of their highlights.

We'll keep an eye out for you this summer!

Kyle,
I like your Mexico plan. There's just too much to see on the Pacific side of Baja to rush past.

Mike

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 13:39   #23

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
. I've spoken with circumnavigators who considered the Channel Islands one of their highlights.

Mike
IMO the channel islands are indeed a worthwhile destination, but your circumnavigating friends must have taken a VERY poorly chosen route RTW to make such a statement, or have VERY unusual tastes in destinations.

But I suppose each to their own taste...

It is a good thing to enjoy your own local grounds, and back when Ann and I were Bay Area sailors we did a few trips south to the islands and enjoyed them. Actually these trips were my introduction to multi week cruising, and I remember feeling pretty smug about it all when we returned to the cold and windy SF bay.

But a highlight of a circumnavigation?? A odd idea to me...

Cheers,
Old 15-06-2011, 14:42   #24

Sounds like a great idea to me. I've done it both slow and fast. There are many villages along the way full of wonderful people. If you have time you can find the supplies you need...fuel, water, food, etc. The problem of strong southerlies is a concern. But keeping a weather eye out and being always ready to put to sea mostly solves that problem. I'd avoid the southern half in hurricane season. Yes it can be cold and grey, but compared to what? My old homeport of Monterey? Heh.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 17:41   #25

as far as the illnesses mentioned above--- LOL-- these ant as common in ensenada as youthink.it is almost civilized there .>LOL

Tags
san diego, sea of cortez