Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2016, 15:17   #1

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI
Home port

Well I've been schooled by several,skippers on the west coast regarding home porting in the Brookings Oregon marina.

To the skipper their point was simply, what do you do in Brookings, nowhere to sail to, nothing to see and often big water.

So I'm rethinking my initial position on home ports. Do I stay at Moss Landing, to I go to the SF bay, delta , or do I go to WA to the San juans.

My lack of experience is shinning.

These guys are telling me that mooring in the sanjuans is hard to find. That the SF bay is easier.

Any thoughts?

DW
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:31   #2

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas
Re: Home port

The wind is free. Bored? Blow off to somewhere else
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:05   #3

Z, I wish it were that easy.
Thank you.

Dirk
Old 19-12-2016, 11:30   #4

I had our Santana 30 in Moss Landing for awhile before moving it to south SF Bay. Moss Landing has great sailing, lots of whales, dolpins, fishing etc. Plus you are in an open bay which give some protection but not enough to make it dull (I'm looking at you SF Bay!).
The downside of Moss Landing is the major Sea Lion problem there. You have to go through pretty extraordinary length to keep you boat from getting trashed by the buggers! Some have built fences on the fingers etc. Also the docks are pretty old and run down. Otherwise its a great marina, awesome community etc.
Moss Landing also had a number of slips available. They may say they are full, but they'll give you a temp slip that never expires.

There are waitlists in most of SF Bay, but depending on the size of your boat, I think you shouldn't have too much trouble finding something in the area. South Bay isn't the best for sailing, but there is much less traffic.

Hope this helps in some way!
svpandion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 15:17   #5

SvPandion, thank you for your response. I've not been active here, was surprised to see your kind post. Bottom line is, I need a marina that's closer. Moss landing is a solid 9 hour drive, were in souther Oregon.

Moss landing,
I'm in one of those long term temp slips, my finger is new, with a security gate, I'm the last finger. I can look across the road at a Mexican restaurant, flee bag bar set up.

The food is over the top at the restaurant, and the beers ice cold in the attached beer. ,it's a biker bar, we had a ball. wifes a prim proper school teacher non biker, she absolutely, schooled the biker ladies on tequila 101. "

We're in moss landing until end of summer, when we head north, to either the delta, Lowries, or maybe Petaluma, I'm told theirs a lift there, and their owners are way cool, when it comEs to working on your boat.

I gotta get my bottom done sooooooooon!

thank,you for your response.

Dirk Williams.
Old 19-12-2016, 15:23   #6

SV pandion, I see you have a Santana 30. We have a Santana 20, been working on getting it ready for racing on Klamath Lake this summer. Thinking I'm going to spring for a new set of race sails.

Should you find yourself up this direction, swing by the yacht club, and ask for me, the name I'm using is my real name, can sail the 20, or we also have a hunter 25 just for long weekends on the lake.

Your welcome to come join us.

Dirk
Old 19-12-2016, 15:52   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

I have a slip in Santa Cruz (near Moss Landing) and actually spend most of my time exercising my slip leave option and keep the boat either in San Francisco Bay or Ventura/Channel Islands. Currently in SF Bay.
In my humble opinion, unless you are into the Wednesday night racing scene, the Monterey Bay is a pretty darn boring place to sail.
I rate SF Bay #1 in California. Lots of marinas so there are always slips. Great sailing conditions and lots of destinations for day sail and overnighting. Not to mention that The San Francisco Bay area has some of the best restaraunts, museums, music venues, hiking, biking, nature... you name it.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 16:54   #8

Liam, thank you for your wisdom. We're in maintance mode now, I'm looking closely at my fuel tank, I've got the motor out and rebuilt, were locked into moss landing for awhile.

Other then the long drive, I don't mind the area, it was 12mdegrees this morning,,got up to 33 for the high. Moss landing was 60 today, that my friend is a no brainier. We're headed south with a ton of gear plus the rebuilt motor soon.

If the tank checks good, well,replace all the hoses, filters etc etc, then hire the Crane in the following week,,and set the motor.

Again thank,you.

Dirk