Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2011, 02:24   #1

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter
Cruising Indonesia

Had enquired about information in the Meet and Greet forum upon joining SF regarding information on sailing in Indonesia. None of the responses were encouraging.

Fortunately, there seems to be some cooperation from the Indonesian Government whereby we received a CAIT within 10 days of application and noonsite announced duty free exemption for Yachts among others for a temporary stay in Indonesia. So, pending a tourist visa which we have to wait to apply for until within 30 business days of departure from the originating country, we should arrive in Pontianac, West Kalimantan early in the new year departing from Kuching.

Has any other members cleared in at this port. Looking for any helpful info on the area, south to the Java Sea and North through the Lingga Islands. Any info on the local customs, etc would be helpful. We read, we read, but you can never know enough.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 02:38   #2

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Cruising Indonesia

Interested in how long your CAIT is for ??
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 11:19   #3

The CAIT is good for 3 months from the date that you specify on your application. I believe that it is also extendable for additional 3 month periods.
Old 24-11-2011, 12:05   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

After writing a very long reply to your question about Indonesia I reconsidered and thought I would just say watch your back and be very careful..others will disagree ,but I have been in country 3 times and have delt with people on every level of society and can tell you that "westerners" are not high on the list of favorite people among the varied populas of Indonesia..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 14:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
After writing a very long reply to your question about Indonesia I reconsidered and thought I would just say watch your back and be very careful..others will disagree ,but I have been in country 3 times and have delt with people on every level of society and can tell you that "westerners" are not high on the list of favorite people among the varied populas of Indonesia..DVC
I sincerely appreciate your feedback, and definitively will be on the look out and try to take measures to protect ourselves. At the same time, if there is something specific or a particularily dangerous circumstance that you have experienced, we would appreciate further input. I would be glad to provide my direct contact info if you do not wish the conversation to become public. I know that there can be contentious issues raised in these forums and some would prefer, rightly so, to avoid them.

We are relatively new to this game and would not like to step into any easily avoidable trouble. Part of the reason that we picked this Port of Entry (Pontianak) was to avoid troubles with the Bureaucracy at the larger centres and we did not find any reports of Piracy, etc on our proposed route. Thanks for any info you can provide.
Old 24-11-2011, 14:40   #6

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
The CAIT is good for 3 months from the date that you specify on your application. I believe that it is also extendable for additional 3 month periods.
Thanks Undercutter
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 16:55   #7

Hi. This is my first post. I have been living in Indonesia for nearly 5 years. It is mostly a love-hate relationship for me. The 45% import duty has kept me from purchasing a boat. ( Moving to Malaysia soon ) I find the natural beauty spectacular and the people marvelous. Diving is incredible. That said, you must realize that poverty is rife. While violence (except Papua) is relatively low, theft, bribery, and corruption are part of daily life. Secondly, each island has its own unique culture. It's really a collection of different island nations. The national motto is unity out of diversity...kind of similar to e pluribus unum.

At the east end of Kalimantan, there is a place called Maratua. One of those not so mainstream dive site. I highly recommend it. There is a German owned resort there with excellent food.
Patpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 17:51   #8
Marine Service Provider

good on you Patpat. I am from Africa and love travelling overland through central east Africa , kids an all. One just needs a bit of common sense and a lot of humanity and it goes a long way. Imagine if i posted here a trip through Kenya , Tanzania , Uganda and Rwanda...how many people would balk at it , the doomsayers and naysayers. It was one of the best trips of my life..3 kids under 12 and a beautiful wife ! We never encountered any problems but experiencing kindness , compassion and the best human nature has to offer. If i had listened to those..i would never have had the experience. I do agree that there is plenty danger about everywhere ...one just needs to be alert and use one's common sense and the world can be a beautiful place
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 05:56   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Patpat.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 12:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patpat View Post
Hi. This is my first post. I have been living in Indonesia for nearly 5 years. It is mostly a love-hate relationship for me. The 45% import duty has kept me from purchasing a boat. ( Moving to Malaysia soon ) I find the natural beauty spectacular and the people marvelous. Diving is incredible. That said, you must realize that poverty is rife. While violence (except Papua) is relatively low, theft, bribery, and corruption are part of daily life. Secondly, each island has its own unique culture. It's really a collection of different island nations. The national motto is unity out of diversity...kind of similar to e pluribus unum.
Thanks for the positive feedback, sounds like most of that part of the world. Why are you leaving for Malaysia, are you staying on Borneo? We will leave Brunei first week of Jaunary on route to Kuching. Any contacts in that end of the Island? Have you spent any time in West Kalimantan? Any recommendations?

Good news from Noonsite re the suspension of duties for temporary import of tourist yachts and tour ships effective Dec 2011. Cannot believe our luck that his is just in time for our cruise.

Welcome aboard.
Old 27-11-2011, 13:16   #11

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Undercutter,
Just love the CT 56.
Is it manageable for a husband and wife team?
Also, any chance you could post a photo to feed the romance in our souls?

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 23:06   #12

Undercutter,
In a word, we are moving to Malaysia for work. Stationed in KL. I have only been to Borneo for work and diving. You don't see many recreational sailboats in Indonesia. Most clear in Bali or Jakarta. A 1-year CAIT is available for the Riau islands. It is mainly set up for Singapore flagged yachts. North Borneo is Malaysia, KK and Kuching are the main cities. There is a marine park north of KK, haven't been, but heard the diving is good. Tioman is one of the better dive islands, east coast of the peninsula. Not sure what anchorages are available. Sipadan IMHO, is overrated, overpriced, and limits the #of dives. Yes, it's nice, just overrated.

If you're looking for wildlife like orangutans, there is Camp Leakey...overpriced. Instead try Sumatra. Arrive in Medan. Hire a car and driver to Bukit Lawang. Stay at the Jungle inn. Orangutans sometimes come to your patio door. Take a road trip to Berangstagi and Lake Toba while you are there. I would personally avoid Aceh to the north.
Patpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 23:35   #13

Thanks Vic, we do love the CT, yes you can handle with 2 thanks to the rigging and hardware. Added electric primaries for this year so that will help and of course we couldn't do without the bowthruster and auto pilot.

Am new to the forum so have to figure out how to post a picture. Amazing what we can do with ships systems but can't figure out how to download pictures from my camera. Will find a way as she is a beautiful boat and would love to share.

Thanks for the tip on Sumatra, Patpat. We do enjoy the wildlife. No doesn't seem to be too many boats in the area outside of Labuan and KK. Were there last year and did the east coast of Borneo and down to Sandakan where we went inland for a couple of days. Beds sucked but mostly for the wife. Didn't want to miss sailing into Indonesia as we are so close and locals say it is beautiful.
Old 27-11-2011, 23:37   #14

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Ahoy undercutter!! I have been visting indo for 9 years, wonderful place and friendly people. No pirates or crime!! Just the odd mad bomber, stay away from maccas/big hotels/embassies/"decadent restaurants" etc???

Been sailing here for 2 years, just got back to Malaysia after a 8 month trip around west coast of sumatra and west coast thailand.

No problems whatsoever, except the ones you make yourself. Be prepared to pay for free government services, it is an opportunity for them to make money, not offer a public service, understand?

See my posts under indian ocean cruising in "sumatran cruise".......
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ise-44422.html
SURFMACHINE
Pictures by keithstirling - Photobucket

There never waS ANY IMPORT DUTIES IF YOU HAD A CRUISING PERMIT, NOONSITE IS BEHIND THE TIMES, SOME AGENTS OR HELPERS HAVE CREATED THE PROBLEM, STAY AWAY FROM agents and helpers, the local port captains and immigration guys dont worry about that crap!

Some of the best, and stormiest sailing in the world, amazig place mate.

Good luck with it all.

Cheers from Keith.
Old 30-11-2011, 16:56   #15

Think I have figured out how to upload an attachment of the boat as requested. New decks in first photo and mast stepped in second. Launch in a couple of days. Everything looks good for Indonesia. Just have to figure out where to put that big Indonesian flag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1194[1].jpg
Views:	411
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	34269   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1196.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	34270  

Tags