Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2015, 17:27   #91

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Who's Been to Palmyra?

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/...f934000000.pdf
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 18:01   #92

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I followed the link to read the article. Thanks for posting it.

However, I did not see any mention of the number of rats killed, nor the means of killing them described in any way (e.g. poison, traps, etc.).

Anyone here know what method(s) they used to eliminate/kill the rats?
They left copies of "Latitude 38" and "Latitudes and Attitudes" for them. This eventually made them insane, forcing them to swim offshore and drown...sad really.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 18:09   #93

Boat: CS36T

Quote:
I followed the link to read the article. Thanks for posting it.

However, I did not see any mention of the number of rats killed, nor the means of killing them described in any way (e.g. poison, traps, etc.).

Anyone here know what method(s) they used to eliminate/kill the rats?
RAT POISON
Old 20-07-2015, 18:48   #94
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Thanks for posting this link to the report abstract.

Amazing!

They used 41 people, two helicopters, and dumped 85,000 pounds of rat bait (poison) on the islands!

And this was the third eradication project over a 10 year period on the islands.

That is a LOT of rat bait!

The report estimates there were 90-120 rats per hectare of land and there are 581 acres or 235 hectares of land. Average of 105 rats per hectare, means an estimated total of 24,675 rats on the islands were killed.

I bet that was a smelly place for a while.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 18:55   #95
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

It was very impressive. Took a month. Large cartons of pellets. They had teams walk around in waiders with sling shots and shoot poison bait into the trees.

PICS:

A Rat-Free Palmyra? | The Nature Conservancy

Palmyra Atoll is Rat-Free
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 19:22   #96
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Thanks for posting this link to the report abstract.

Amazing!

They used 41 people, two helicopters, and dumped 85,000 pounds of rat bait (poison) on the islands!

And this was the third eradication project over a 10 year period on the islands.

That is a LOT of rat bait!

The report estimates there were 90-120 rats per hectare of land and there are 581 acres or 235 hectares of land. Average of 105 rats per hectare, means an estimated total of 24,675 rats on the islands were killed.

I bet that was a smelly place for a while.
They use to tell us that there were x amount of brown tree snakes per acre everywhere on Guam,I saw 3 over a 10 year time frame!! Why not release hermorphidite rat snakes when you have a rat problem and then they would all die off after eating the rats! Always made me wonder why the tree snake was blamed for killing every single bird on Guam when chickens roamed every sq. inch. of the island and breed non stop...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 19:49   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
They use to tell us that there were x amount of brown tree snakes per acre everywhere on Guam,I saw 3 over a 10 year time frame!! Why not release hermorphidite rat snakes when you have a rat problem and then they would all die off after eating the rats! Always made me wonder why the tree snake was blamed for killing every single bird on Guam when chickens roamed every sq. inch. of the island and breed non stop...
You must mean sterile and not hermaphrodite, which has both male and female sex organs so could mate with anything that slithers by (perhaps even itself...).

Chickens are not as ecologically destructive as predators such as snakes and rats and even goats, though I don't care for any type of non-native, invasive animal on an island. It doesn't take long to throw everything into imbalance.
Old 20-07-2015, 20:01   #98

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
You must mean sterile and not hermaphrodite, which has both male and female sex organs so could mate with anything that slithers by (perhaps even itself...).

Chickens are not as ecologically destructive as predators such as snakes and rats and even goats, though I don't care for any type of non-native, invasive animal on an island. It doesn't take long to throw everything into imbalance.
Easy now....
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 20:41   #99

Quote:

Uhhh... so what exactly is native to an island? Everything came from somewhere else. "Non-native" is just the last to arrive.

Not to make lite of a pest.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 20:47   #100

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The most destructive and hardest to eliminate is... the human being, hands down.

Something that I have unsuccessfully pointed out to rabid "get rid of non-native species in Oz" folks... you know, the ones that wanted to get rid of the coconut palms on Middle Percy Island.

Jim
Old 20-07-2015, 21:54   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Uhhh... so what exactly is native to an island? Everything came from somewhere else. "Non-native" is just the last to arrive.

Not to make lite of a pest.
This is well established in the scientific literature. See: Non-Native Species of the IRL Region for a comprehensive explanation and cites.
Old 20-07-2015, 21:58   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Easy now....
Sorry goat, but every time I go to the Caribbean where they are nibbling down to twigs every bit of shrubbery except for the meanest plants with spines, and I see them listed on the menu, I always order that instead of the fish....
Old 20-07-2015, 21:59   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The most destructive and hardest to eliminate is... the human being, hands down.

Something that I have unsuccessfully pointed out to rabid "get rid of non-native species in Oz" folks... you know, the ones that wanted to get rid of the coconut palms on Middle Percy Island.

Jim
I'm not against this either
Old 20-07-2015, 22:25   #104
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:

Being silly about hermorphidite snakes(hemorphodites are sterile?right?) my point about the chickens was that it takes some effort to climb trees catch birds and eat the native birds eggs, wherein it would be easy to eat baby chickens and find there eggs..Yet there are chickens every where but no native birds..I would have thought that the tree snake would have adapted to this "easy pray" rather than continue to exert energy climbing trees etc..hope this make more sense than my other post..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 23:32   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
..I would have thought that the tree snake would have adapted to this "easy pray" rather than continue to exert energy climbing trees etc..hope this make more sense than my other post..
It probably did (though they don't call them "tree snakes" because they look like trees) and the chickens would continue to breed like, um, invasive chickens do. Native animals that have never been preyed upon basically don't have that kind of resiliency so once you start killing them off, all that's left are going to be chickens. I'm just pointing out that it kinda sucks to go to a remote tropical island and have squawking chickens and goats, and tourists sitting around the pool with their Mai Tais, as the only remaining fauna...