Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2016, 08:55   #1

What would you do?

I bought a Sailboat a few months ago. Weather has been really bad this summer in UK. Cant even get a window of opportunity to sail / motor it to its mooring

I have a sailing expert buddy who would accompany me, but I think he can only do this on the weekend. Im paying £20.00 per week for the boat to be in the yard, waiting... , its been in the yard for 4 months

I wanted to get it out in early June, but now it looks like it might not be until early Aug (maybe )...getting discouraged , I have already paid for a mooring about 60 miles away in west wales. At this point im thinking of just selling her and getting my money back and calling it a day. Could put the boat on a flat bed, but I had a falling out with the guy who does it because he raised his price because I had to cancel the lift 2 days before hand, no fault of my own, I would like to keep her, but at this point its starting to stress me out more then anything else.

Any suggestions from the experts?
gulfbreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:53   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: What would you do?

How big is the boat? To move 60 miles it will take 10-12hrs? Get your buddy to arrive at 6 in the morning on a Saturday rain or shine.... I don't see the problem, is the weather that bad that you can not sail at all?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:37   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
How big is the boat? To move 60 miles it will take 10-12hrs? Get your buddy to arrive at 6 in the morning on a Saturday rain or shine.... I don't see the problem, is the weather that bad that you can not sail at all?
yeah, about 10 hours id say.

Its a 28 foot Macwester

Its not a rain problem, its a wind problem, at the moment this sat is forecast 6 foot seas at 8 sec intervals. And west wales is very much exposed to the north Atlantic. The forecast might change,well see The problem we have here in the UK, its like this for long periods at a time.
Old 11-07-2016, 13:47   #4

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Gulfbreez,
At 8 seconds period, the wave length is about 100m (1.5*period squared). Then, the wave height is strongly reduced in shallow water.

I am not familiar with SW Wales. However, going from Milford Haven to Fishguard, as you posted in another thread, would make you pass in the "shadow" of The Smalls. Saturday 16 will be neaps, so the races W of Skomer and Skokholm should not be too bad.

If the forecast remains the same, it should be doable.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 13:58   #5

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfbreez View Post
yeah, about 10 hours id say.
Its not a rain problem, its a wind problem, at the moment this sat is forecast 6 foot seas at 8 sec intervals. And west wales is very much exposed to the north Atlantic. The forecast might change,well see The problem we have here in the UK, its like this for long periods at a time.
Not sure where you're getting your weather information, but today's marine forecast from Weather and climate change - Met Office for the Lundy area:
Wind: West or northwest 5 or 6.
Sea state: Moderate, occasionally rough at first.
Weather: Showers. Visibility Good.
Fastnet and Irish Sea are the same.

Sounds bloody perfect to go for a day sail to me.
Old 11-07-2016, 14:12   #6

Maybe im being over cautious, I got into some 8 foot seas with 6 sec intervals before in a 24 footer, ever since then iv been cautious. I will talk to my expert sailing buddy, he owns a racing sailboat and has a tone of sailing experience, he will check out the forecast, he has alot more experience then me in that department. I will take all your advise and in good judgment, ill update soon
Old 11-07-2016, 14:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Not sure where you're getting your weather information, but today's marine forecast from Weather and climate change - Met Office for the Lundy area:
Wind: West or northwest 5 or 6.
Sea state: Moderate, occasionally rough at first.
Weather: Showers. Visibility Good.
Fastnet and Irish Sea are the same.

Sounds bloody perfect to go for a day sail to me.
Iv been looking at almost every weather model on the internet, including the Met office and the BBC,

and
Map Results | Wind, Forecast, Radar, Weather & More | FishWeather

https://my.buoyweather.com

bunch of others
Old 11-07-2016, 15:05   #8

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Maybe im being over cautious, I got into some 8 foot seas with 6 sec intervals before in a 24 footer, ever since then iv been cautious. I will talk to my expert sailing buddy, he owns a racing sailboat and has a tone of sailing experience, he will check out the forecast, he has alot more experience then me in that department. I will take all your advise and in good judgment, ill update soon
Sorry to hear that you had a bit of a fright.
(Hey, at least you've done a bit of sailing and know what you might experience. The number of people that post on this forum that are in the process of selling up their house, buying a boat, sailing off into the blue horizon without ever having sailed never fails to amaze me. Sorry off topic I know.)

When I plan a short delivery like that I get everything ready as if we were going tomorrow. So things like diesel tanks filled and stowed, dinghy stowed, food, drinks, wet weather gear etc and of course crew. Everything is ready such that as soon as the forecast is appropriate, we all meet at the boat and embark.

I’ve always found it’s best to have crew who can take a couple of days off work. Trying to rely on a weekend weather window is a hiding to nowhere.

Quote:
Iv been looking at almost every weather model on the internet, including the Met office and the BBC,

and
Map Results | Wind, Forecast, Radar, Weather & More | FishWeather

https://my.buoyweather.com

bunch of others
We have a similar availability of different weather forecast information out here in the colony. As stupid as this may sound, I’ve actually found this a real nuisance. The various forecasts are often at odds with each other and I’m sometimes left wondering which forecast do I take heed of.
Old 11-07-2016, 15:15   #9

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

I have to comment but withlut much help to the OP...sorry. But I remember as a kid in January it snowed. Sometimes a lot. Heck...back in the day we just called it winter.

Weather forecasting is really entertainment with advertising money tied to audience.

I used to have a small runabout and decided to launch every chance I got. If it was bad I would turn around. I have had great boating days when a faulty weather forecast chased away everyone else. Also I turned around enough.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 16:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Sorry to hear that you had a bit of a fright.
(Hey, at least you've done a bit of sailing and know what you might experience. The number of people that post on this forum that are in the process of selling up their house, buying a boat, sailing off into the blue horizon without ever having sailed never fails to amaze me. Sorry off topic I know.)

When I plan a short delivery like that I get everything ready as if we were going tomorrow. So things like diesel tanks filled and stowed, dinghy stowed, food, drinks, wet weather gear etc and of course crew. Everything is ready such that as soon as the forecast is appropriate, we all meet at the boat and embark.

I’ve always found it’s best to have crew who can take a couple of days off work. Trying to rely on a weekend weather window is a hiding to nowhere.

We have a similar availability of different weather forecast information out here in the colony. As stupid as this may sound, I’ve actually found this a real nuisance. The various forecasts are often at odds with each other and I’m sometimes left wondering which forecast do I take heed of.
About being ready on short notice, I was just telling my buddy a few hours ago, if we cant go this week, at least lets do abit more prepping so we can be ready on a dime. I think thats the key, because thur looks good, but we are no where ready for that day.
Old 11-07-2016, 17:31   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

My advice is: RELAX.

And next time do not buy any equipment that you cannot operate.

Do not sell her, unless you think this is not what you want.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 19:18   #12

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
Gulfbreez,
At 8 seconds period, the wave length is about 100m (1.5*period squared). Then, the wave height is strongly reduced in shallow water.
-----Alain
Ok, we segued from 6' seas at 8 second intervals in one post to the above in the very next post. Exactly what is meant by 100m wave length at 8 seconds? I am usually aware of differences between the Queen's english and the colonies version, but this sounds like something more - perhaps just my ignorance?
Old 11-07-2016, 19:29   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Exactly what is meant by 100m wave length at 8 seconds?
If the wave period is 8 seconds, the distance between successive crests will be about 100 meters

Check out this thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...th-168078.html
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
My advice is: RELAX.

And next time do not buy any equipment that you cannot operate.

Do not sell her, unless you think this is not what you want.

Cheers,
b.
I can operate this equipment

Im a licensed commercial pilot, have had 6 powerboats , and been in very rough seas countless times.

I dont know the boat very well, and iv been advised to take on someone that does. I agree I should relax. Sailing is something I very much want to get into.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:34   #15

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

You can always look out and find a reason not to go. A lot of months to not have one 10 hour window. If you want to sail, go sail. Seems like you should have had plenty of time to make it safe. If it is get a window and go.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote