Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2016, 17:01   #1

What to do? Power or Sail

Hi,

Not sure where to post this. In the process of winding down all affairs on terra firma. Quite frankly had enough now. Sem-retired middle aged, zero experience with boats of any kind though a born water person. Looking to acquire a floating condo either sail or power. Go park the thing, and play.

Questions:

1. What's easier:

a) learn to sail and maintain a sail boat
2. learn to drive a power boat and maintain that

No real interest or desire or fantasy in the aspect of sailing or driving. The aspect of interest is peace and quiet. Learning either I suspect would be trivial and rather mundane. As indicated the idea is a floating condo, in fact if one could park a house boat in the Caribbean somewhere with others, that would suffice.

Been examining this for quite a while and keep returning to the Leopard line of vessels. Primarily because of the back "porch" compared to all that looks ideal to me to dive from the back hunt crayfish come back aboard fire up the bbq and sit back and do nothing.

From everything I have read the cost to maintain a sale boat can equal or even out pace the cost to maintain a powered vessel. Including fuel?

What to do?

There is a beautiful 44' owner's versions Leopard in the Seychelles that has my eye. Zero time or interest to fiddle around with dinghy's and Hobies and miniature sail boats to learn how to sail. Perhaps buy the thing, sail it to the Caribbean with a delivery expert, learn from that, and be done?

abstract.profor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 18:11   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: What to do? Power or Sail

Based on your writings here.....neither. In order to put up with all the nuances that accompany life on a boat, you need to enjoy the primary function of the boat. If you don't you'll feel like a slave to the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 18:40   #3

hmmm. Thank you , that is actually an incredibly astute observation, which did not come close to crossing my mind. Absolutely gives pause for thought.

On further thought perhaps I can input thusly, as a 30 year + overland in 4x4's, the enjoyment therein is in the actual drive to the destination, not the destination alone. Perhaps not having sailed or power boat'd anywhere ever, and having zero interest or care as of right now, it can be learned or appreciated? But do I want that head ache? Is it a head ache? To own about is it the satisfaction of fiddling fixing sailing enduring hardship and finally getting where you want to go, then once arrived rewarding yourself buy mooring and doing nothing and relaxing? Is that the "job" of sailing as it were? go--->suffer---relax

Would a power boat be more akin to what I seek. Less muss less fuss?.

I am struggling based on this:

Single handing at 57.

Is it really that easy?

I would liken it to driving around the world with a manual transmission vs. an automatic.

My whole idea isn't to beat myself black and blue from 9-5 to then reward myself with a stiff scotch and great snooze at the end of the day. This is what happens on land and the whole purpose of leaving it. Is that what sailing is about / like? Get bruised and battered going where you want to go then rewarding yourself, after arriving safely?

I am not sure that boating and boats is only about that. Should it be? It's nothing more than a vessel to take you from A to B.
Old 14-01-2016, 20:53   #4

over there ---->

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2016447
Old 14-01-2016, 21:10   #5

Given that the vast majority of sailboats have engines too, which also need maintenance, it's certainly going to be easier to learn to operate and maintain a powerboat.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 21:44   #6

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstract.profor View Post
Hi,

Not sure where to post this. In the process of winding down all affairs on terra firma. Quite frankly had enough now. Sem-retired middle aged, zero experience with boats of any kind though a born water person. Looking to acquire a floating condo either sail or power. Go park the thing, and play.

Questions:

1. What's easier:

No real interest or desire or fantasy in the aspect of sailing or driving. The aspect of interest is peace and quiet. Learning either I suspect would be trivial and rather mundane. As indicated the idea is a floating condo, in fact if one could park a house boat in the Caribbean somewhere with others, that would suffice.

Been examining this for quite a while and keep returning to the Leopard line of vessels. Primarily because of the back "porch" compared to all that looks ideal to me to dive from the back hunt crayfish come back aboard fire up the bbq and sit back and do nothing.

From everything I have read the cost to maintain a sale boat can equal or even out pace the cost to maintain a powered vessel. Including fuel?

What to do?

There is a beautiful 44' owner's versions Leopard in the Seychelles that has my eye. Zero time or interest to fiddle around with dinghy's and Hobies and miniature sail boats to learn how to sail. Perhaps buy the thing, sail it to the Caribbean with a delivery expert, learn from that, and be done?

The answer to question one is... Power is easier. That doesnt make it a better option though. However, your unwillingness to actually learn to sail suggests you should probably be a powerboat owner with the expensive fuel bills and the smell of diesel fumes.

Sailing is generally something the owners have a passion for. If its not your thing, then ignore the sailboat option as the learning curve is much much different to stink boats , as we like to call them :-D
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 21:46   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Hi,

Questions:

1. What's easier:

What to do?

The safest way to solve this is to have professional crew. Go out on sail and power boats and decide which one you prefer, then buy the boat and hire the crew, done.

As others have said, you will not enjoy doing it yourself, unless you are seriously into sailing and fixing and maintaining things. It's quite a lot of work. So full time cruising without professional crew is a bit of a hobby for workaholics. It's a lot like work. I absolutely love it, as most people on this board do, but it's not for everyone.

If you don't make too many miles, and are not into sailing, and are mostly interested in a marine-mobile home, then a power boat is the usual solution. But I would definitely check out sailing catamarans, which make superlative floating condos, which actually motor much better than motorboats do (more stable and efficient), and as a bonus can also sail. Sailing is magical and you might just love it, as many of us do.

Just don't underestimate the workload (and expense) of managing and maintaining a complex cruising boat. It's not at all like an RV or a car. It's all absolutely doable and learnable, but it will not be any good if you're not eager to do those things for their own sake.

You can also start out with professional crew, choosing a captain who is willing to give you instruction, and just see how it goes. After a certain amount of time, you can start doing it yourself, if you like it and feel confident. Concerning your question about whether it is necessary to start learning sailing in smaller boats -- the answer is that it is desirable, but definitely not necessary. Many successful cruisers just buy the boat they want, and learn to sail in that.

The main thing is desire -- if you enjoy it and want to be doing it, you'll acquire the skills pretty fast.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 21:53   #8

Given that the OP wants to live aboard a boat that will usually be parked, I think the best bet might be to buy a dismasted sailing catamaran and convert it to solar-electric propulsion. It won't be fast, but it will be quiet, reliable, not stinky, and (relatively) easy to maintain.
Old 14-01-2016, 21:56   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Learning either I suspect would be trivial and rather mundane.
With this attitude, I strongly suggest that you not choose sailing. No sort of seamanship is learned in a trivial or mundane way, and the arts of sailing are far more complex than those of a motor vessel, even if they are both used as floating condos. The knowledge that you should have gained may be required to save your life...

You might well be better off with a nice land base in some pleasant island nation.

Jim
Old 14-01-2016, 22:16   #10

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Based on your writings here.....neither. In order to put up with all the nuances that accompany life on a boat, you need to enjoy the primary function of the boat. If you don't you'll feel like a slave to the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I'd second this. You should also be aware that sailing any kind of boat (power or sail) requries that you learn the "rules of the road" and learn what to do when inclement weather hits (which it will) along with any number of other things.

Sailing/boating is a different way of life and to do it competently (meaning you are not a risk to yourself or others) requires investing a fair amount of effort. Having a drivers license for a 4x4 or an RV isn't enough.

From your description of what you want to do - you might be better off buying a shoreside condo or house and sitting on the porch. Or buying a big enough boat that you can have professional crew.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 01:51   #11
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:

No real interest or desire or fantasy in the aspect of sailing or driving. The aspect of interest is peace and quiet.

Based on Your above I will fully agree with Jim Cate's:

"
You might well be better off with a nice land base in some pleasant island nation.
"

Seems this is just the best solution for You.

Talk to other experienced sailors to understand this is never 100% safe and quiet when at sea/(anchor) .

Sorry,
Steamer
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 04:02   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

It's simple, if you don't like to sail then get a power boat. The main thing sailing gets you is it is quiet while underway.
Old 15-01-2016, 08:51   #13

Power is obviously easier, especially with bow thrusters.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 09:14   #14

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

I'd agree with the 'neither' sentiment. If you're not that into either sailing or motorboating and don't want the learning curve or maintenance hassles, there's a simple answer that will get you mobile and enable you to see the ocean with most of the comforts you enjoy on land and that's a campervan.

You can always hire a sailboat or motor boat by the day or the week whenever you're near the ocean (or a lake) if you're that determined to get afloat.

We own both a sailing yacht and a motor yacht and there are (I must admit) a few times when we envy the campervanners their flexibility to travel inland as well as on the coast.

GORDON KNIGHT
Old 15-01-2016, 09:21   #15

I would s a Powerboat is a bit easier. Mostly you don't need to learn how to deal with reefing and sail handling. However, maintenance of the engine is more critical in a powerboat...as it's all you have. Power or sail each have to be learned how to handle in rough water though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail