Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2016, 16:21   #31

Re: What to do? Power or Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstract.profor View Post
This is what I am ideally after:

https://www.google.com/search?q=floa...iw=911&bih=382

I view a motor or sail boat to be that with the added benefit of being able to move hence my originally query; what's the easiest of the two.

Someone could make a small fortune of they could float and park these somewhere isolated in the Caribbean and either sold or rented them.

How ideal would that be?
Here is the ideal solution for you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SA Houseboat 1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	116792   Click image for larger version

Name:	SA Houseboat 3.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	462.7 KB
ID:	116793  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SA Houseboat 6.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	438.5 KB
ID:	116794  
0urh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 16:53   #32

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Sounds like the plan the OP has is a formula for boredom. If he actually wants a boat, a powerboat would be for him. I would say about a 50ft. trawler will do the trick.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 19:04   #33

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
This is what I am ideally after:

https://www.google.com/search?q=floa...iw=911&bih=382

I view a motor or sail boat to be that with the added benefit of being able to move hence my originally query; what's the easiest of the two.

Someone could make a small fortune of they could float and park these somewhere isolated in the Caribbean and either sold or rented them.

How ideal would that be?
One thing all of your houseboat pictures have in common is the water is calm. The only place houseboats like this will work in the Caribbean is at a protected marina. However, there are plenty of luxury yachts available that will get you where you want to go in comfort. All you need is a lot of money. If you are really serious about this & have the funds I suggest you attend the Miami International Boat Show in February. I have no doubt you'll find something you like there.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 19:18   #34

If you love it, it isn't work, it's passion.

Sounds like you need to get in touch with your inner "Sympatico", then the passion will find you.

If you stop hiding behind trees, and avoiding Life, then you give passion a chance to find you.

Maybe that was my $0.03c worth.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 19:43   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
If you love it, it isn't work, it's passion.

Sounds like you need to get in touch with your inner "Sympatico", then the passion will find you.

If you stop hiding behind trees, and avoiding Life, then you give passion a chance to find you.

Maybe that was my $0.03c worth.
Love it !

Was in Buenos Aires and the end of the 90's and purpose pointed a smoky bar to go to. Absolute bliss.

By the way transited through Iquique after a month, then Antofagasta to ultimately Santiago before flying in to BA.

Have been to Chile?

Big novelty there to me was being able to smoke cigarettes in the departure lounge. Do they still allow that? Actually come to think of it, Aruba had bars / pubs in the departure lounge where one could smoke. Do they still?

On even further reflection the last airplane flight I was on Garuda out of Indonesia allowed smoking on board. Any where. Actually I am wrong that was ages ago. KLM did allow in the last back row from Africa to Holland was the last flight that I can remember.

Now that I think about it it is clear a day. They assigned a non existent row. That is I booked a smoking seat, they issued the ticket, and the boarding pass printed out did not exist. The last row was not there. Nevertheless I smoked like a chimney much to the chagrin of those in front of me.

Like I cared?
abstract.profor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 19:56   #36

Quote:

Have been to Chile? . . . . . . . . . . .

That is I booked a smoking seat, they issued the ticket, and the boarding pass printed out did not exist. The last row was not there. Nevertheless I smoked like a chimney much to the chagrin of those in front of me.

Like I cared?

I used to fly Heathrow to Santiago de Compostela a fair bit with Iberia.

When the plane was up to altitude and the auto pilot was on, the Captain used to come in with the passengers and chat, and have a smoke at the same time.

The World has gone completely barking mad in the years since, imho.

But I am still madly in love with Spain (especially the wonderfully crazy Gallegas, and the singing in the Bars as the sun comes up, along with everything else).

I've a friend living in Peru, so I may make it to Chile as well some time.

PS. It's sort of related, in a way. It took me over 30 years to get my father to go into a Tapas Bar in Spain with me. I was very proud of him the day he came in.

But then of course, I couldn't keep him out of them . . . .
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 20:34   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
I used to fly Heathrow to Santiago de Compostela a fair bit with Iberia.

When the plane was up to altitude and the auto pilot was on, the Captain used to come in with the passengers and chat, and have a smoke at the same time.

The World has gone completely barking mad in the years since, imho.

But I am still madly in love with Spain (especially the wonderfully crazy Gallegas, and the singing in the Bars as the sun comes up, along with everything else).

I've a friend living in Peru, so I may make it to Chile as well some time.

PS. It's sort of related, in a way. It took me over 30 years to get my father to go into a Tapas Bar in Spain with me. I was very proud of him the day he came in.

But then of course, I couldn't keep him out of them . . . .

I would absolutely urge you an anyone with a craft within their means to visit BA. I do understand that the delta is part and parcel of sailing in any way,

Look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=n2tRv12By7Q

I forget which the bar was I was pointed to at the time but do know that movies where based on it.

Ribbit I have to say as I sit here reflecting, I now wonder why I never made it to Spain. Been nearly everywhere in Europe, took Spanish as a second language but for some incredibly odd reason have never actually been there.

Argentina. Driving the multi lane highways with the old Eva Peron Cuba'esque shadows of concrete might have been too foreboding to...

Heck. maybe I should forget about my boat and go to Spain since I am fluent in my own name in that language like tomorrow is today. For some reason Spain itself strikes or struck me as the New World where the Latin America's present the old. Which is what I sought.

To sit in a smoky historic bar at the delta in Buenos Aires and witness old time Flamenco dancing , can't be beat. Maybe the modern nonsense and rubbish related to that round ball kicking thing they call soccer has tainted my belief. Spain itself is too modern is too today. Please, let me represent South America where you can live like you remember yesterday.
abstract.profor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 00:25   #38

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
The aspect of interest is peace and quiet.
Sailboats of course make much less noise when moving around. My stress level goes clearly down when I switch from motoring to the quiet sails.

Quote:
Learning either I suspect would be trivial and rather mundane.
Nothing special in either. Sailing means few more sailing related practical things to learn. Nothing difficult.

Quote:
From everything I have read the cost to maintain a sale boat can equal or even out pace the cost to maintain a powered vessel. Including fuel?
You have to take care of the sails, rigging etc. Sailboats usually have smaller motors, that are also cheaper to use and maintain.

If you plan to travel between Seychelles and other far away places using a motor boat, fuel costs and fuel storage can soon become major problems. For long distances I would most certainly take a sailboat.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 07:26   #39

Boat: solaris 42 1978

i am in medellin recovering from a stress related heart attack . look long and hard at the older solaris 42 1978 ,, huge rear deck , open cockpit . completely covered with bimini . it is for sale here on forum .. when i return to panama i will pretty sell her for first good offer ,, svfraidknot@yahoo.com great live aboard
svfraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail