Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2017, 17:55   #61

Boat: currently looking
Re: What item could I buy now that would serve for my future sailing boat?

[QUOTE=voehringer;2482566]Lessons, check

When I was waiting for my boat to find me, I bought a Goal Zero power bank and a 30 watt solar panel (there are other manufactures out there now). And I played around with it on and off for a year. I learned a lot about batteries (AGM in my model, but they now have Li models too), how much solar is needed to charge said batteries, and, in a practical sense, how much things I used consume (electrically speaking).
Now that I live aboard as we save to cast off (be careful, that can be a trap), I understand the electrical side of my boat a lot better. I also understand where I need to add capacity, and where I can save power (oh, and also buy a kill-a-watt device and plug things you think you need into it and measure how much electricity they consume).
I’m not an EE, more of a bio background and didn’t pay enough attention in physics classes to know all this stuff second nature, so you also may want to understand your energy footprint and start thinking about how you will handle that “out there”.
Lastly, at a minimum, you will be able to recharge your AA and AAA batteries from the sun. So you’ll have that.

-Thank you-This is such a great inspiration. I've been thinking of this very thing and while I await my vessel to find me (!) I would like something practical to begin preparations. Perfect!
CruisingHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 22:43   #62

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I say buy a sailing dinghy! It's a great way to learn boating skills like sailing, rowing, motoring with a small outboard, reading the wind, weather & currents as well as simply not falling out of a boat or balance. I recommend a Bauer, Trinka, Fatty Knees or a Portland Pudgy which can even be turned into a lifeboat.

Anything that gets you onto the water sooner is a good thing.
Welcome fernandosmooth
I agree with Scout... Want a boat buy a boat. A sailing dinghy, canoes, kayaks, and inflatables are fun, educational, and usable later, but only if you use them. Education and experience are valuable, but only is you use them. IMO most stuff goes out of date...
Old 25-09-2017, 22:57   #63

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
"I want to buy something, that would be long lasting, an investment that would serve to a better life on the ocean. Something that would be useful."

The very best investment, long lasting guarantee of my continuing life on the ocean was buying a divorce. Had I been younger, a vasectomy would have been my second best investment. And a series of black labs. Great companion, always glad to see me and other people. Rarely causes trouble. No known relatives. Always up for a new adventure. Lotta tail wagging. 30 years, but whose counting?
The worst quote, but the very worst part is the poster is close to correct! The error is the Labs. They do protect the boat, maybe, and are or can be great companions, but they also eat too much and the residue is substantial. Maybe a ship's cat?

I disagree with post #62 (not quoted) in that most things do not go out of date. I've sailed for 65 years, and the only equipment to actually go out of date was a Loran. Charts and such do in some ways, sort of, but they help in a pinch so not really. Even my passage notes remain useful. I admit that I am out of date, but my knowledge is not, although it is harder to find at times. And yes, I know it is not always correct as well, but that is not because it is out of date.
Old 30-09-2017, 13:25   #64

I want to update everyone on the things I have bought since this thread was made.

Things:

Plastimo Iris 50 hand bearing compass

Samsung TAB E tablet to read books in addition to an existing kindle.

Tablet stand,
amazon basics model.

Two watertight and rugged plastic containers, one made by Pelican and the other by plano.

VHF.Radio made by ICOM
in white color, model 324g with gps and IP7X certification. It can stay 1 m in the water for 30 minutes. It seems really well made.

Shakespeare antenna model 4200.
It is made of stainless steel. It came without coaxial cable but I bought two connectors and I think coaxial cable I can buy locally.

Snow peak titanium pots
, model 1400. Lightweight and nice. I want to buy that gimbaled stove thing and I saw many stoves on the store but I was not sure if it was that model.

Weems and Plath dividers
, supposedly to be used in navigation on charts. Although I wonder if it is still useful on this day of simple gps machines.

I bought a flashlight
that stays on your head made by Vitchello. I dont believe it is waterproof but it will work funtil it stops.

Rigging knife
, made by SOG.So useful for everyday things too.

Last was an "eye snaps", I think they go by another name. I
will use it as an keychain and something to remember me of my future boat.

Books and magazines have been added to my research list, I am acquiring them as I write this.

All things bought on: West Marine and Amazon.

I have many other things to buy and other suggestions are welcome but it all started.

I almost bought weather gear">foul weather gear but I was not sure of the brand. I once saw a video of someone saying these new sophisticated models dont work well like the old modells but I dont know the names of those.

Thanks
fernandosmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 16:09   #65

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandosmooth View Post
Plastimo Iris 50 hand bearing compass
Try this tonight (when its dark). Charge up the plastimo with a flashlight for a few seconds. Then go for total darkness. Yes, that compass is magic. Now put the compass up to your eye, resting it gently on your cheek...see the magnifier and the bearing as you line up the compass!!! This is a remarkable piece of gear that will last you a lifetime.

Here's your assignment...learn how to use it to check if you are on a collision course with another vessel. Thats just one reason this compass will always be in your cockpit, ready to use.

Extra marks...learn to "double the angle off the bow" to determine your distance off. Its a method of getting a fix with only one visible object ashore.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 16:16   #66

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:

VHF.Radio made by ICOM
in white color, model 324g with gps and IP7X certification. It can stay 1 m in the water for 30 minutes. It seems really well made.

Weems and Plath dividers[/B], supposedly to be used in navigation on charts. Although I wonder if it is still useful on this day of simple gps machines.[B]

The first time you roll out a paper chart you'll find yourself wondering how far it is (and how long will it take) to get from one place to another. Your new dividers will start walking off the course, and you'll be both accurate and glad you bought them. I didn't see any paper charts on your list? I suggest one for the area you want to cruise...maybe a bahama general or leeward islands of the caribean. :-)

Also, thumbs up on choosing ICOM and SOG....you won't be disappointed.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 16:21   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
Seeing that you mentioned life on the ocean I would suggest that just for the experience try shopping for about 4 weeks of groceries etc and live on them only with no refrigeration. You should also during this time allow yourself 1 gallon of water a day for everything. If that sounds a bit extreme then maybe push it to 2. It will give you some idea of what can be ahead at times, but not quite, as you will be able to sleep and stay dry at night and not fear for your life and wonder what's going to break next. I guess that you are still working so you'd be allowed to wear clean clothes in order to keep your job!!!! No cheating
and sleep/stay awake on 2-4 hour shifts....
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 17:17   #68

Apologies if these are repeats....I didn't see them listed.

Invest time in gaining the knowledge on treating medical issues. Learn what antibiotics are for what and when you go stock several types. Especially for staph and tropical ulcers. Nasty stuff and when you need treatment time is not your friend. Learn how to disinfect any cut, scrapes, etc even if its minor. Learn how to sew yourself/others up.

A dedicated medium sized Pelican case containing an extra handheld gps, extra meds, extra cash, etc as an additional ditch bag or general backup emergency kit. Be disciplined on keeping this stash sacred and unused unless truly needed.

If you go crusing in the tropics tubes of antifungal cream. Heat, sweat, certain fabrics, prolonged salty clothes and possible shortages of bathing water can cause jock itch. Miserable!
svtankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 20:58   #69

A bitcoin. Seriously. Just one. Sit on it for 2-5 years, sometimes known as hodling :-)
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:04   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Try this tonight (when its dark). Charge up the plastimo with a flashlight for a few seconds. Then go for total darkness. Yes, that compass is magic. Now put the compass up to your eye, resting it gently on your cheek...see the magnifier and the bearing as you line up the compass!!! This is a remarkable piece of gear that will last you a lifetime.

Here's your assignment...learn how to use it to check if you are on a collision course with another vessel. Thats just one reason this compass will always be in your cockpit, ready to use.

Extra marks...learn to "double the angle off the bow" to determine your distance off. Its a method of getting a fix with only one visible object ashore.

I had no idea it could do that!

this part "learn to "double the angle off the bow" to determine your distance off.". I cant fully understand it how it works.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:04   #71

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I had no idea it could do that!

this part "learn to "double the angle off the bow" to determine your distance off.". I cant fully understand it how it works.
Don't feel alone. I'll admit my trig. is rusting with age and it's been awhile since I've had one. I would love a quick explanation.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:27   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

When a second bearing, between the bow and a stationary object, is double the angle of the first, it tells you is that the distance run between the two bearings will be equal to the distance from the second observation point to the object.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:58   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
When a second bearing, between the bow and a stationary object, is double the angle of the first, it tells you is that the distance run between the two bearings will be equal to the distance from the second observation point to the object.
Gord May.

I have no problem since you reference a second observation point. I still don't know how with one point. Am I missing something?
Old 01-10-2017, 07:27   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Gord May.

I have no problem since you reference a second observation point. I still don't know how with one point. Am I missing something?

i think he means that if a hotel on shore is at 15 degrees and a restaurant is at 30 degrees. Then the distance from the boat to the restaurant is the same from the hotel to the restaurant. Is that right?
Old 01-10-2017, 13:24   #75

Quote:
i think he means that if a hotel on shore is at 15 degrees and a restaurant is at 30 degrees. Then the distance from the boat to the restaurant is the same from the hotel to the restaurant. Is that right?
Fine if you know the distance from the hotel to the restaurant. That way you can come up with two angles and a side. As I recall, two sides and an angle also works. Just curious about the post with one point on shore? I'd like to see,

Tags
boat, sail, sailing