Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2016, 13:04   #31

Boat: 45ft Ketch
Re: What if someone has tied to your private mooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
I really don't get that people do not try to find peaceful solutions first.

All those thoughts of loctite or cutting other people off or running to authorities don't speak well for a sailing community.

People who in exceptional circumstances use someone elses mooring should obviously leave only for short term and leave contact data on board though.
Ever had an derilect boat tied to your mooring?
Loctite & cleavers are not serious just schizoprenic dreaming what you'd like to do.

Moorings in Nelson are required to be maitained to a standard, have ID & max vessel length marked on the buoy and, as far as I know mine is available on a temporary basis to all that need it
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 13:12   #32

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Come on, derelict boats are something different than what we are talking about here.
That's a whole different matter.
Old 19-12-2016, 13:37   #33

Boat: 45ft Ketch

My neighbour had a derilect boat tied to his. I doubt the OP's concerned about nice boats and nice people.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 13:41   #34

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

See, it's a question of perspective.

I understand this thread more to be about how to deal with temporary occupied moorings by people passing.

Permanent squatting on someone elses mooring is unfair and not acceptable.
Old 19-12-2016, 14:12   #35

Boat: Coronet Oceanfarer30

Im more than happy for anyone to use my mooring any time. It does not worry me at all. People come and go, I introduce myself, treat them as my guests and met quite a few people that way.
Against that background I cant see the problem ...no one really means you any harm and are always very grateful and obliging.
Why be nasty? Tie the boats together, have a few drinks, a chat and a great time! Why not?
Ironman162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 14:14   #36

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Thanks all, I'll go with the tinny or a bright orange plastic canoo tied up when not there. That way someone can still use it in an emergency but very unlikely otherwise.

The point about someone next to it is that it is in 6m of semi open water. The mooring will have 9m? (Can't remember exactly) of rode, someone anchored beside may have 50m out which sounds like trouble and would prevent me from using it.

The morning I'm putting down is rated at 70kn for my boat. All other existing moorings are rated for calm weather use only. I don't want to watch my boat get smashed uninsured because it's not on my rated mooring while someone else sits back having a beer.

I guess I would have to move them if a strom was coming if I couldn't contact them through the authorities or any other means.
Old 19-12-2016, 14:31   #37

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman162 View Post
Im more than happy for anyone to use my mooring any time. It does not worry me at all. People come and go, I introduce myself, treat them as my guests and met quite a few people that way.
Against that background I cant see the problem ...no one really means you any harm and are always very grateful and obliging.
Why be nasty? Tie the boats together, have a few drinks, a chat and a great time! Why not?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 14:49   #38

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

Boy some of these nasty comments ain't exactly "cruisers helping cruisers" is it? There are many situations in a crowded harbor with no place to anchor where you need to make a quick trip ashore for supples or even to clear into the country. Would always make it quick and if at all possible leave some one aboard.
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 14:50   #39

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
I agree in fair weather, how should l handle it with a storm on they way. If I couldn't contact them or the authorities. Is it acceptable to move them?
Old 19-12-2016, 15:11   #40

The mooring becomes irrelevant under severe storm conditions.
You are better of not being there. I would concentrate on the storm and get my boat to a relatively safer position asap. Even hiding behind an island if possible but definately not tie it down...just my approach and Im sure there will be varying opinions... but I will stay with my boat and leave the one on the mooring to itself one boat is enough to handle in a !
Old 19-12-2016, 15:31   #41

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
I really don't get that people do not try to find peaceful solutions first.

All those thoughts of loctite or cutting other people off or running to authorities don't speak well for a sailing community.

People who in exceptional circumstances use someone elses mooring should obviously leave only for short term and leave contact data on board though.
Does this mean I can take you boat without asking and keep it as long as I need it? You, of course, being unasked would not know why or for how long.I doubt it, but am perfectly willing to hear out a rational reply.
Old 19-12-2016, 15:34   #42

You seriously equate using a mooring in water no one owns to joyriding in another home?
Old 19-12-2016, 15:47   #43

Please hold your horses until you get the facts... we are jumping to conclusions that dont exist.

Maybe its just because I'm a laid back Auzzie where mateship and beer drinking is in the culture ... but seriously guys, do you hear yourselves?
Old 19-12-2016, 16:03   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post

The morning I'm putting down is rated at 70kn for my boat. All other existing moorings are rated for calm weather use only.
That is one very good mooring, rated at 70kn. Could you give some details of the mooring eg. block size or screw mooring/chain size etc..

The problem in a storm is if other boats around you (on calm weather moorings) break free and/or drag into your boat causing damage. Hard to protect your boat from non-caring (often uninsured) boat owners in storm situations.
0urh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 16:17   #45

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Quote:
Please hold your horses until you get the facts... we are jumping to conclusions that dont exist.

Maybe its just because I'm a laid back Auzzie where mateship and beer drinking is in the culture ... but seriously guys, do you hear yourselves?
An Aussie who cannot spell Aussie!
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring