Not sure if these would fall under pros and cons but before going to a mooring
1. Find out what kind of mooring, how well it is installed, what kind of bottom.
2. Check the chain, eyes, shackles, etc running from the mooring to the buoy.
3. Check the pendant from the buoy to your boat
4. Make sure pendant won't chafe going to the cleat or more probably, make sure you rig good chafing gear
on the pendant.
Some pros and cons.
- probably a lot cheaper
- have to take a dinghy
or shuttle to get to the boat
- not connected to shore power
to keep the batteries
This could be pro or con. You are more isolated in the harbor so no dock
neighbors keep an eye on things so maybe easier for someone to board your boat to steal something or no one to notice if you are taking on water
and sitting low. But harder to get to so maybe avoid some casual theft?