Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 15:48   #1

Boat: Blackwatch 19 gaff rig cat
Water spouts and lee shore sailing

Please don't consider this as advertising. This are just daily sailing events when you must go out each day for to earn a living aboard.
While trolling for passenger along Orange Beach, The Daedalus played with and dodged 6 water spouts. The spouts got tired and left and the Daedalus came home. Lee shore sailing is just a daily routine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Daedalus playing with no less than 6 waterspouts. The spouts got tired and the Daedalus came hom.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	367.7 KB
ID:	65021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Daedalus Ben 2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	65022  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Daedalus Ben 4.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	65023  
Capt.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 16:30   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Water spouts and lee shore sailing

Any time one is sailing along the shore one is likely to be sailing along a lee shore. That's not bad unless a storm comes up. Personally I head for deeper water -- it tends to be very shallow along the shore here. A lee shore is only bad if you're near it in bad weather (wind direction can shift).
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 16:43   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there are lee shores and there is florida.

rocks and currents can truly screw up ones day.
west coast usa is a looong rough lee shore. i think mebbe one might want to sail it before commenting about how easy it is....there is a big difference between west coast of the north american continent and west coast florida. i know. i sailed both at least long enough to learn that...

fred--your boat is awesome gorgeous, and beautiful under sail--your water spouts are impressive---beautiful shots!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 16:47   #4

How's the advertising working? Just curious.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 21:36   #5

Boat: Blackwatch 19 gaff rig cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there are lee shores and there is florida.

rocks and currents can truly screw up ones day.
west coast usa is a looong rough lee shore. i think mebbe one might want to sail it before commenting about how easy it is....there is a big difference between west coast of the north american continent and west coast florida. i know. i sailed both at least long enough to learn that...

fred--your boat is awesome gorgeous, and beautiful under sail--your water spouts are impressive---beautiful shots!!
Thanks zeehag, it would be an honor for me if you'd look up my profile and peruse my first 3 albums. I designed and hand built the Daedalus myself in Santa Barbara and launched her in '77. After that it was at the 20 fathom line along the West Coast of California many times. The West Coast of Florida is not quite like the North Coast of the Gulf. In the winter during the Northers, sailing close in toward the beach is a blast. No rocks or coral at all, only sand bars. You can see the bottom and if you touch bottom you get blown back into deeper water immediately. This is the most fun sailing area I've found in the USA. Deep quartz sand bays and bayous. Go West and It's mud go East and it turns to coral further down in Florida I sold my Daedalus in 2002, but anxiously observe her daily activities. In my albums you'll see my leaky teaky a Choey Lee Lion, which I bought in San Francisco, mindlessly sailed to Santa Barbara, lucked out and got a job at USCB. I built the Daedalus and then learned how to sail. Haw1961...Yes! I now sail a Modified Rob Roy 23.
Attached Files
Capt.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, water