Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 09:16   #16

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1
Re: Unoccupied Drifting Yacht- What to Do?

Make a movie if it was in the South Pacific... otherwise pull it out to anchor depth and drop its anchor.... damn the lawyers...do what you would want someone to do for you if positions were reversed.
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:16   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
This boat does not appear to be in immediate danger. And (as you must know, living in Disco Bay) that going aground is a common occurrence in the delta and typically no big deal. But if you take the boat in tow (unasked for) and eff something up, you are responsible.

Calling the coasties or the sheriff seems like the smart move.
EXACTLY....so in this case, calling the Marine Sheriff Patrol seemed to be the best answer.....boat not in danger....owner was somewhere in the area as I saw a ski boat hip tied to it earlier before they left. I was really torn though....I REALLY wanted to tow it and reset the anchor, but as you said, liability and other issues precluded me from doing so.

However, as has been said....a very situational issue with maybe no one right answer.This little incident, if you will, just got me thinking about what I should do in maybe some remote location while cruising. I for one, would be VERY grateful if somebody would board my yacht if something was wrong and I wasn't there.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:17   #18

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

We always seem to get comments trying to make the simple complicated. It is not. Contact the nearest authorities to report the situation. If you can board safely to check for injured crew, do so. If help is not close and the tide is rising you might use your dinghy to place their anchor and tension the line to possibly avoid a worse grounding. I would not be inclined to attempt to tow her off unless the authorities gave me an ok to do and I was claiming salvage. Placing a tow line can create liability issues so I would be inclined not to do so.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:19   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I am a rescuer. I cant help it. Its just me. When i see something I have to help. Maybe its some call to adventure, maybe its just some inate thing.
But i couldnt count the number of peoples boats I have been on in the last 8 years, trying to stop them dragging, towing (pushing them), fighting fires, looking for theives... Even ran nightly security patrols in a bay for a few night that was being pestered by theives.

I don't care what your nantzy-pantzy laws are I will already be on your boat trying to save it hours before the Coast Guard et al gets off their bums.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:19   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Get on the radio or phone. Your unasked for help puts you in bad stead liability wise. You never know the CG might ask you to render assistance I would think that would mitigate your liability. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:29   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I am a rescuer. I cant help it. Its just me. When i see something I have to help. Maybe its some call to adventure, maybe its just some inate thing.
But i couldnt count the number of peoples boats I have been on in the last 8 years, trying to stop them dragging, towing (pushing them), fighting fires, looking for theives... Even ran nightly security patrols in a bay for a few night that was being pestered by theives.

I don't care what your nantzy-pantzy laws are I will already be on your boat trying to save it hours before the Coast Guard et al gets off their bums.
Bravo... seems there are a few human beings out there in the world... not "nanzy pansy" legalbots shaking in their boots... (Of course call the Coast Guard if in range...)
Old 04-09-2016, 09:38   #22
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
Bravo... seems there are a few human beings out there in the world... not "nanzy pansy" legalbots shaking in their boots... (Of course call the Coast Guard if in range...)
It's one thing to board a boat that's on fire and it's another to take it upon yourself to move and re-anchor a boat that is not in danger.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:39   #23

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Been in that situation three times. One I boarded, attached a tow line and towed it out from the rocks and set a spare anchor I had with rode. left a note and the guy came out the next day and thanked me. I helped reset a line to a home made mooring he had. Another was dragging. I fished up his rode and towed him to safer water and reset the hook, the guy came up in the process and started raising hell. I went back to my boat and two days later he came and apologized and took us to dinner...a nice dinner;-) the third was adrift off the keys. I hailed the boat no response I hailed the uscg. They asked me to go aboard to see if there was trouble. no one was aboard, the kingly was on the davits and the jib was hanging loose. I rowed the boat out a little ways and the coasties came out and took over.

I know a lot of people don't live this rule But I do " do unto others as you would have them do unto you" the golden rule.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:43   #24

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
You're in the US. You better lobby for tort reform before placing a line on an unoccupied boat.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:46   #25

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

I definitely would document the vessel with photo's or video to place the state of the vessel. Radio to alert the owner (ship name) then board and assess the situation and call authority's to let them know your situation and what you plan to do! tow to safety if YOU feel it is needed. Having gone through a nasty salvage situation myself (i will post those details someday) this is very basic and any owner should be very thankful and probably repay you for time and effort.
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:48   #26

Quote:
Make a movie if it was in the South Pacific... otherwise pull it out to anchor depth and drop its anchor.... damn the lawyers...do what you would want someone to do for you if positions were reversed.
Do as to others.
Waterrat10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:49   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Me too. The world wouldn't work if not for people like you. Cheers.
Waterrat10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:51   #28

Virtue is its own reward...
Old 04-09-2016, 09:53   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
You're in the US. You better lobby for tort reform before placing a line on an unoccupied boat.
I would rather deal with a stupid courtroom than my own conscience
Old 04-09-2016, 09:55   #30

Boat: Catalina 25 swing keel

Give them another hour then trade up... only improving your means right? Lol

<waterworld reference>
Rainh2o2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht