Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2019, 08:12   #1

Trolling motors

When will we start to see wide spread use of trolling motors on sailboats? These new remote control trolling motors seem they would be ideal for docking situations.
jb2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:47   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Trolling motors

There was one on a fishing boat I rented on Lake Vermilion last summer. I was only fishing to the extent that it gave me a plausible reason to putt along close to the shoreline and enjoy the scenery, but I did use the trolling motor for that, and it was nice. It was also an opportunity for me to learn a little bit about them.

The two main facts to consider are that they require a bow that is close to the water, and they are sized for relatively light vessels.

The largest trolling motors in widespread use are rated for 55 pounds of thrust. Typical bow thrusters installed in cruising sailboats have ratings of around 120-240 pounds of thrust.

Now, on daysailors and dinghy-sized boats and canoes, I do see people using trolling motors as an alternative to a 2-3 hp gas outboard. They're fine for that if you can live with the reduced power and range. I also see them on larger boats on lakes that do not allow gasoline motors, in which case people typically transom mount two or more of the largest trolling motors they can find.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:42   #3

Re: Trolling motors

I'm referring to the newer style remote control TM's with 80 to 120lbs of thrust. 60", 72" or 80+" shafts, so they will work with vessels with higher freeboard. They're expensive. But still probably half the cost of a bow thruster. They have GPS, or can connect to your onboard GPS, and hold you in one spot whenever you need it. They even have auto deploy and auto stow on some of them, using the remote control. Seems like a great alternative to a bow thruster. Cheaper and more functionality.
jb2c is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor