Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2019, 07:41   #121

Boat: 29' Gaff Cutter
Re: Too Old to sail?

I'm 66 and this past September l sailed from US/Canada border to San Francisco.
In November I continued on to San Diego.
I have now arrived in La Paz Mexico.

I am probably of average health for my age but with a strong desire. Will continue with the step by step process to see as much of the world as I can until my health or desire says otherwise.
richbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:07   #122

Location: Katya, my partner, our sons, Samson (14) and Zacary (9)and I live in Calstock, Cornwall, England
Boat: 35' ketch

Just do it. The more you think about the problems involved with somebody getting old the older you will get... Just do it (carefully, as us ol' folks say)!
Rossea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:12   #123

Location: Katya, my partner, our sons, Samson (14) and Zacary (9)and I live in Calstock, Cornwall, England
Boat: 35' ketch

Oh, I might add that when I got to 58 I single-handed from San Francisco to Panama aboard a 35' wooden ketch, then after crossing with crew and taking them to Cartagena I continued single-handing to Cuba and the Bay Islands. We now own a 65' Dutch sailing barge that i brought from Northern Netherlands mast up and a 38' Giles ketch we also brought from Northern Netherlands back to England (Suffolk). I am 73 now and I just brought the ketch through the Netherlands mainly by myself and across with a buddy who is in his 50s... Just do it!
Rossea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:58   #124

If you have to ask...

Bout of melanoma drove us out of the open cockpit. Switched to a trawler. Not thrilled with the noise of twin diesels but we're out of the sun. Take each day as it comes.
timeout2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:44   #125

Boat: Carter 30

Hi all,
I just turned 74, i had a 25 ft for the last 10 years.
I sold it last year and bought a carter 30, its a sound boat but needs some attention.
Rolling jib and rolling main, all doen at the mast except of course for the the jib.
I have been an active windsurfer in my home town on the north see in Scheveningen from 1986 and the last 12 years kitesurfing!
All this about age! Of course sickness and bad luck play a part but its the mindset that counts.
Hoping to cross the channel to the UK soon, and maybe(dream) to zweden next year.
Tony Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:06   #126

Boat: Solaris, Sunrise 36' Cutter Rigged Cat
Send a message via AIM to lornolsen

I am 75. In March 2018, I bought a 36' Catamaran in Kemah, Tx and sailed it to New Bern, NC. I plan on taking it to Detroit this summer. I will be 76'.
lornolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:58   #127
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftybucks View Post
Cancelled purchase. . Boat had some damage I was not comfortable with. Moving on to different boat. I’m looking for suggestions on make model. I’ll start new thread. Wife was emotional and sad at decision but I just would never have confidence in the safety while at sea.
Boats are like busses: wait ten minutes, and another will come along.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 03:29   #128

Boat: Beneteau, Cyclades 43.4

I am 66 and planning to cross the Atlantic in 3 years
Jorge M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 03:37   #129
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Too Old to sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge M View Post
I am 66 and planning to cross the Atlantic in 3 years
What the hell are you sailing on.. it should only take 4 or five weeks to cross..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 04:11   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
Now ,what was his name sailed Gypsy Rose around the world? Anyone remember Sir Francis Chichester.

Well, Chichester sailed 'Gipsy Moth' around the world in his sixties, and Alec Rose, also in his sixties, sailed 'Lively Lady' around the world. Both became 'Sirs' on the strength of their voyages.
Slocum was no spring chicken either.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 06:00   #131

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Please let's not forget the Hiscocks...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_and_Susan_Hiscock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
Well, Chichester sailed 'Gipsy Moth' around the world in his sixties, and Alec Rose, also in his sixties, sailed 'Lively Lady' around the world. Both became 'Sirs' on the strength of their voyages.
Slocum was no spring chicken either.
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 06:03   #132

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
Please let's not forget the Hiscocks...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_and_Susan_Hiscock

FORGOT TO ADD their movie on youtube

anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 08:25   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post

That's a fascinating film.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 16:31   #134

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Here's a link to a thread on the same subject, from 7 yrs. ago: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...il-213390.html

And a different perspective, as well, because I'm still "me", whether visiting on land or sea. One thing is that if you still have something else you want to do while you still can, you get the feeling, ooops! better go do that now! But, if you feel there is nothing more you want to do, then giving up what YOU want to do, well, just stop a minute and make up your mind what do you want. Then, work out how to do it, for now. You can always un-choose a choice: and you can always choose something different, the timing is yours, and your reasons are valid for you. Others may not "understand," but it's still your choice.

The thing is, right now, how I see it, the only benefit to living ashore is ease of followup medical care, and staying off your knees for bed making; and that might make it necessary to give up extensive live aboarding. Your body will tell you if it is time to downsize, if you live ashore, and maybe give up crossing Bass Straits every year, and join the local cruising group who still goes SOMEwhere, start creating a shore life that allows you to still sail.

For instance, if Jim pre-deceases me, I cannot manage this boat by myself: I cannot reach to get the mainsail halyard on, and it is too complex for me...maybe a simpler, smaller boat??? [I have some degenerative conditions, a scary surgical history, and have to factor that in, and I'm a cat's whisker away from 79.] I can imagine there might be a cottage or convenience flat, car [would help with medical followups], and washing machine in my future, maybe even a dishwasher, and a shed...and maybe a pound dog, depends on how much moving about I want to do. You'll want to find people to hang out with who are compatible, you might want to help kids learn to sail. But, I think key here is if you need to change, find something to be drawn towards, within or without boating (trawler?) that the first twinge of satisfaction from somewhere else can start to grow, and you can begin to view what that path looks like for you. All life is a process, after all, and you'd have to move quickly when you realized which changes to start making.

Ann
Old 18-07-2019, 09:56   #135

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
my uncle sailed without engine in a gaff rigged sloop until age 95 at which time he keeled over into his scrambled eggs.
i am 70 sola-ing a formosa 41.
too old?? can you stand up? can you pull lines? can you row a dinghy? can you pull self up after a fall? can you prevent said fall? canyou stand on a pitching rolling deck and fill diesel tanks? can you adjust your own sails as wind changes? can you anchor and weigh said anchor with or without a windlass? do you feel safe at sea?
is all in the individual. no one else can answer your age related questions
================================================== =====================
I really love this kid !!!!!!
also enjoy her postings
On this past March as I turned 78 realized will never finish outfitting my boat so I decided to heck with that and left my slip in Oriental NC.
Currently in Sandy Hook NJ on my way North for the summer ?
Only required crew to round Cape Hatteras otherwise single hand.
Beats any options available to me, like watering the grass,joining local bingo club etc.
my new Moto
Geriatrics Rule
davil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail