Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2016, 14:45   #1

Am I too poor or too old?

I am 66. I live part time in Dominican Republic. I want to reIearn to sail and then cruise in Caribbean and Around central America. Or alternatively around sea of cortez. Or alternatively coastal US. But my income iS Social Security and I cant spend more than 100k on a boat. So with this info, can you give advice on whether I should cinsider a cruising life and where to start and how to buy a boat (or even whether) and ... i feel like a beginner without a clue
clarknewhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 14:50   #2

Boat: 40' Jeanneau
Re: Am i too poor or too okd

You are not too old, and you have plenty of money and income. You do not need to spend anywhere near $100,000 on a boat to do what you want to do. And social security could reasonably cover cruising expenses.

Search and read on this web site. You'll find plenty of stories from people who are doing what you want to do. You'll find a wide range of budgets- a very wide range. But plenty of people get it done within the range you're looking at.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 14:54   #3

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Nope, sorry, you're too old and too broke. Might as well pack it in.

Just joking. There are thousands of boats available for much less than $100K. Find the best one in the best condition possible. Stay close to home as you learn your boat and your capabilities. You don't have to sail around the world. Stay healthy and enjoy yourself.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 15:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Am i too poor or too okd

Spend $30K on the boat, keep it simple and efficient.. live on your SS and put the rest away for rainy days.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 15:46   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I think Boatman61 is right about the price range, and CF has a thread going on about boats in that range, do a Google Custom Search (click on Search, then down the menu a ways).

As long as you are free of severe systemic disease or if it is there but controllable with diet or medicines, you should be okay. Take it easy and have fun. We tend to regret only the things we wanted to do, but didn't, or couldn't and didn't.

Ann
Old 20-11-2016, 16:06   #6

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40
Re: Am I too poor or too old?

You can certainly cruise nicely in the Sea of Cortez on SS, and there are a lot of very good boats here well under 100k. A caution, however. Make sure to get a competent survey and leave enough in the kitty for the inevitable repairs/upgrades/etc/etc that incur anytime you buy a new/used boat. Be realistic in your expectations, be willing to eschew marinas, sail whenever possible and your SS can go a long way in Mexico ... especially with the peso over 20 to the US$.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 16:15   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

When we were looking for boats in La Paz our boat broker said (with awe in his voice) "you can live very well here (Sea of Cortez) on social security."

Even if you don't choose SoC for your travels, if you get rid of your land expenses, be modest in your "needs" and keep it simple, you really can do well almost anwhere . Only you can determine if you are too old, but there are many people out there right now who are older. May as well get older with some great memories in your pocket
Old 20-11-2016, 16:47   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

I think 66 is when life begins and I think decent small cruising boats can be had and outfitted for less than 15k. You could possibly buy and outfit for less - if you are a very keen West Indies shopper. You will not be hiring others to do the homework but do it all yourself and so you need some basic skills. Skills are being build while doing things.

Just my opinion.

Once afloat and outfitted, small way cruising life in the Caribbean should not cost you more than 5k a year (unless you have some medical condition that asks for expensive treatment or continuing medication).

If you cannot afford a small boat now, you can still make a start. Get to know people who sail, go sailing, watch, learn, think, act.

Cruising life in the West Indies is very good.

I would give it a shot.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 16:48   #9

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

I know 35 year old old people, & I know 70 year old young people. Only you know where you fit in.
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 17:36   #10

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

My brain says I am too poor and too old to go cruising.
Fortunately my soul doesn't listen.
Old 20-11-2016, 18:05   #11

I am 81 and just bought a 28 foot sailboat for coastal cruising. Brought her from west coast of fl to east coast of ga. Think I'll get a tiller pilot though and resume cruising.
billgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 18:09   #12

Boat: wanting a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgold View Post
I am 81 and just bought a 28 foot sailboat for coastal cruising. Brought her from west coast of fl to east coast of ga. Think I'll get a tiller pilot though and resume cruising.
God bless you Bill!

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 18:17   #13

Boat: Catalina 320

Perhaps, but unless you can get younger and richer what's the alternative ?
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 18:40   #14

Boat: island trader ketch

,$100,000 , I just purchased a nice 38 ft ketch for $15,000 it needs a little work but nothing I cant handle . the way I see it that just gives me a chance to get familiar with the boat. I don't know a lot about sailing other than sailing with friends and I took sailing classes a few years back , . I wondered if I waited too long at 52 for this until I watched the news where a 92 year old man sails to the west indies still . I just keep in mind that its the journey not the destination .
capnd1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 18:56   #15

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

And if all of the above aren't enough to convince you, Jeanne Socrates, age 74, left B.C. about a month ago on a solo circumnavigation.
Helps to be handy with things like tools (many types) and the internet.
A way of generating your own electricity (Honda, good battery charger & solar & wind) good dinghy and motor because marinas will suck you dry.
And a ruthlessly good surveyor. Spend 30 or 50k max......one day you need some of the rest.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote