Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2019, 12:23   #106

Boat: Pearson 36
Re: Too Old to sail?

Brand new to the Forum. Not sure of all the rules, but here goes:

After years of following threads on the Cruiser's Forum, I just joined, so I could comment on the question "Too old to Sail ?".

The replies I've read make perfect sense. Even beyond those who say that age is just a number here is something I would like to contribute.

I am 71. I have cruised summers in new England limited to a week here and there and long weekends for 43 years. Summer 2018 for the first time my work commitments allowed me a solid three week sail for the first time. I found after that three weeks I was in better physical shape, more capable and more comfortable, both with handling the boat and living aboard than ever before.

It was a revelation, but probably should not have been so surprising. It took a week or 10 days to feel I had trained and accommodated to the physical demands.

Based on that experience, my wife and I plan a 3 months cruise around Cape Cod with living aboard full time. I am looking forward to this like never before. Those short vacations were always a compromise. I wish my work obligations had allowed me this kind of sustained period of time. But I was too busy working.

Previously, with the 5 - 10 day sails, it took much time and concentration to prepare, then a week or more to become accustomed to the physical requirements and by that time it was ready to spend a couple days mentally and physically preparing to leave and getting the boat prepared to be unattended. Waste of time on both ends.

The answer to the question is "No". Not too old! Not at all. I do sense the encroachment of age, but I think that will be offset by becoming a trained athlete in this sport of sailing and cruising. Like any sport training and conditioning make a difference.

Trawler? Unh uh. That would be a constant reminder of a future reality I prefer not to consider and probably never will. When it is time to hang up the rags, I want to do that as a sailor, not just a water traveler.

Bob Franklin
Pearson 36-1
"ARION"
robertmfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 13:23   #107

I'm in the same boat per say and am personally going through the same mind thought you are. The big question is are you planning to actually go cruising or do you plan to hang out at the dock and use it as a condo? Trawlers are way more comfortable at the dock and are a lot easier to get in and out of when you get older. The other less discussed par is the fact that in a sailboat you are mostly in the water in your living in the boat and staring out the small windows to see what is going on outside. With a trawler your living quarters are above the water and there is plenty of window space to keep you entertained.
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 13:35   #108

Boat: 1984 Rhodes 22

The Captain and I are mid-60s, and find that the furling main and foresail make it a lot easier. I think as long as you sail conservatively and watch the weather you'll be fine. do a lot of planning, though, so you know where and how you can pull into harbor if you need one.
edexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 14:09   #109
Marine Service Provider

I own a 38' sailboat near Annapolis and have coached and consulted professionally for many prospective and actual owners of a "certain age" for cruising or living aboard both sail and powerboats. So much of this depends on your mental and physical "age" rather than only chronological. So much depends on the layout and type of boat, your sailing plans and your inherent abilities and skills and attitudes. Certain equipment can address many issues, but there is not right or wrong answer. However, I have been hired by clients (too late perhaps because they already bought the boat and moved aboard) to help them to operate and manage their boats. In a few of these cases, they were way beyond their capabilities, not exclusively because of their age, but age was one factor among many. They would have been in over their heads and beyond their abilities even if they had been in top physical shape. Had they hired me before or during the buying process, I think I would have given them straightforward advice that I did not feel comfortable giving to them at the latter stages...but they were in a hot mess. I will be pleased to speak or meet with you personally and will send you a PM. Thanks.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 14:20   #110

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

At this point there are 7 pages of replies, mostly from people who are older than the op or about someone they know of who is as old or older, and still actively sailing.

It almost sounds like bragging.

To me the fact that OP wants urgently to hear from CF about whether he and his spouse is too before his sale is finalized rises more cause for concern than his age. What? If CF says "No, you can't do it" he's going to give up on his dream?

That is crazy and tells me tons about his lack of self confidence, self reliance, and will to follow his dream.

He needs more than a fitness level to determine if his move aboard and sailing plans will be a success. He needs will and determination and he needs to not let anything get in the way, because lots will.

To the OP, if you want to do this, believe in yourself and just do it, don't ask for opinions.
Old 08-02-2019, 14:32   #111

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

OK, My turn to brag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edexter View Post
The Captain and I are mid-60s, and find that the furling main and foresail make it a lot easier. I think as long as you sail conservatively and watch the weather you'll be fine. do a lot of planning, though, so you know where and how you can pull into harbor if you need one.
Judy and I are in our 70's (or I am, Judy is almost). We live on an IOR raceboat. No furling. Big sails. Running backstays, No electric winches. We cruise double handed, including kites (no sock), and rarely motor. We never sail conservatively; we sail fast. We race very actively and often win. We do our own maintenance and cleaning (but we don't sand the bottom ourselves any more, getting old I guess). You can be as fit as you want to be, push yourself, don't take the easy way out, never give up, and never use age as an excuse.
Old 08-02-2019, 14:56   #112

Sometimes "morning stiffness" is a good thing.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 17:42   #113

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftybucks View Post
Cancelled purchase. . Boat had some damage I was not comfortable with. Moving on to different boat. I’m looking for suggestions on make model. I’ll start new thread. Wife was emotional and sad at decision but I just would never have confidence in the safety while at sea.
=========================================
thanks for the follow up,better been emotional about a discarded buy than emotional about lack of trust on your boat,there is so little of fiberglass between you two and sorrow.
Boats like taxis,if you miss one,just wait another is on its way.
wise decision,no regrets.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 20:59   #114

One last thing: if going south soon, spend a ton on foulies and maybe even dry suits. It's cold on the water, even when its sunny, even down to SC sometimes. I hate getting pneumonia when I'm supposed to be having fun.
Old 08-02-2019, 21:05   #115

Good for you! We're active enough - Skipper is a formal professional ballerina, and still dances - but I'm glad neither of us has to go forward til it's time to anchor or tend to the dock lines. And she's a little boat, Rhodes 22, so not sailing conservatively leads to unplanned swims, and replacing the electronics, lol. (She won't sink, and has amazing features for a little critter, love this boat, perfect for the Chesapeake).
Old 09-02-2019, 03:24   #116

Now ,what was his name sailed Gypsy Rose around the world? Anyone remember Sir Francis Chichester.
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:57   #117
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Too Old to sail?

This is liked saying "Am I to disabled to sail.?"
Used to work for an RYA qualified charity in Salcombe who took disadvataged kids from all walks of life and physical abilities and taught them to sail.. blind, crippled, Downs Syndrome, you name it..
It taught me that everything has a work around and peoples limitations are set by themselves..
All one needs is application and inventiveness and one can move mountains.
I seem to be doing more as I get older.. never imagined sailing a 54ftr across the S Pacific at 65 when I was 30.. dreamt it yes.. but let to much crap get in the way.
Older now.. and Wiser..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:13   #118

Boat: 1997 Sabre 362

I am your age and have NO intention of stopping singlehanding my Sabre 362 any time soon. My friend sails his 362 @ at 91, not alone.
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:44   #119

Hah, I just finished a book called "A Voyage For Madmen" about the first solo circumnavigation race in the 1970s. Chichester was a judge of sorts.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:57   #120

Boat: Beneteau 361

I’m 73 and my wife and I actively sail the Great Lakes and live aboard our 36 foot every year from June through September. We start off and end each season with a 300 mile cruise to or from our sailing grounds in Northern Lake Huron. We have slowed down a little but plan to continue sailing into our eighties.

Some days that we would have sailed in the past are spent relaxing at anchor or in port waiting for better weather. If wind is too light for sailng ,we will start the “iron genny”. In short, we can and do sail when conditions are good and motor when when conditions aren’t great. We haven’t considered a trawler , because we don’t want to give up sailing when the conditions are right. What the heck, we can either sail or motor at about 5-6 knots..... how much slower is that than a traveler?
Cest Nous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail